• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/3-1/4 Possible Storm

Zelocita Weather

EURO, GFS, GGEM all now agree on a initial storm working into the great lakes, but will a pulse of energy ejecting prior and running into an existing cold airmass. Models disagree of course on exact details.

But chances are increasing for some wintry precip at least in some areas on the front end of the system, with a change to rain for most.

GFS looks the coldest, EURO in the middle, with GGEM the warmest...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really interested to see what the 12z ECMWF ensembles show. So far most of the ensmble guidance has been on the weaker/flatter side.

As previously mentioned the all important northern stream features are still over Siberia in a poorly sampled region. Theoretically we could still see some major changes until all the pieces are on the table.

The 12z EPS ensemble mean is much flatter than any of the operational guidance today. The mean sends a weak surface reflection to Wisconsin. It has a really nice look for the region just to our North. Unfortunatly it's still too warm for most of this region outside of a quick front end dump.

The 12z EPS ensemble mean is much flatter than any of the operational guidance today. The mean sends a weak surface reflection to Wisconsin. It has a really nice look for the region just to our North. Unfortunatly it's still too warm for most of this region outside of a quick front end dump.

Yeah the euro performs miserably thermally on SWFEs with a high in place, remember the December event last year where it busted by 12 degrees 24 hours out.

18z GFS, gives a front end Dump for most of the area.

Looks like very little snow for most of the area. Far NW maybe start getting a few inches or so, but at the coast it doesn't even give an inch for the NYC or even close western suburbs. Again, this is just the model taken verbatim. The following storm, however, looks like a better bet for snow. But we've learned now to take them as they come. A few days ago, it showed 6"+ snow for us as well. All in all, it's better to be in this type of active pattern than a boring one. The cold is marginal, yes, but we don't need frigid air for something to work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00z gives a front end dump. It's been very consistent today.

It definitely upped it a little bit from 18z. While the parallel gives us absolutely nothing except maybe a few flakes to start, the GFS gives an inch of snow for NE NJ and more as you head into NJ outside of the urban areas (1-3"). For NW NJ, maybe 5-7". Quite honestly, I wouldn't count on anything though other than a drenching rain. Any little coating of snow will be gone quickly, as 1-2" of rain could fall for many areas. More importantly, though, the GFS does look fantastic through the end of its run. We could squeeze out a good deal of snow despite having the perfect pattern in place

It definitely upped it a little bit from 18z. While the parallel gives us absolutely nothing except maybe a few flakes to start, the GFS gives an inch of snow for NE NJ and more as you head into NJ outside of the urban areas (1-3"). For NW NJ, maybe 5-7". Quite honestly, I wouldn't count on anything though other than a drenching rain. Any little coating of snow will be gone quickly, as 1-2" of rain could fall for many areas. More importantly, though, the GFS does look fantastic through the end of its run. We could squeeze out a good deal of snow despite having the perfect pattern in place

I wouln't get overly excited about anything good past hour 168 or so. Model skill obviously is poor beyond that range and also the GFS has a known cold bias when its resolution becomes coarse post hr 192. I forget exactly why, SnowGoose probably knows.

60s Sunday?

What happened to the epo ridge pumping down cold arctic air via a cpf that guidance had been showing for this period? Sheesh, lr guidance has been nearly the complete opposite of apparent weather verification the past few weeks.

Maybe instead of this upcoming thaw we will get a decent pattern for winter weather lol.

60s Sunday?

What happened to the epo ridge pumping down cold arctic air via a cpf that guidance had been showing for this period? Sheesh, lr guidance has been nearly the complete opposite of apparent weather verification the past few weeks.

Maybe instead of this upcoming thaw we will get a decent pattern for winter weather lol.

Ralph at 102 850`s go plus 10 at 120 850`s are minus 10 .

So it`s cold before and after , that was written here .  This is not news 

I don't think today's weenies would survive a stretch like that again

Now this storm went from at least some snow to no snow. I don't recall exactly what winter it was, I think it was 2009 or 08, we had very cold dry days, and then rain, back to freezing temperatures. 

The 80's at least had the 83 beauty. The daughter my 1st was born was in 2002 & that winter 2001-2002 I believe we saw a toal of 3 inches. It happens. we have been spoiled & I think came into this winter with extremely high expectations, based on long term forcasts. But LR 4casts are nowhere near dependable and so ocassionally we take one to the chin. The fact is to get major snow in here we need the table set perfectly on the coastal plain. We arent down lake and we arent up a mountain and we arent in land so lets be realistic, continue to learn & hope for the best.

Above all, happy new year to all . may it be a healthy one because . in the end, thats what matters,

12Z RGEM and NAM both show a sneaky lead wave of precip that could be dangerous for anyone going all liquid for the coast...the NAM hints at it blossoming an area of precip at 48 hours down in the MD and VA area...the RGEM is more noticeable with it at 48 hours almost into PHL already...I cannot tell what is generating it..may be pure overrunning or jet streak based because nothing showing at 500mb.

Archived