• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 20 - 21 Coastal Storm Threat

jm1220

More like a blind squirrel finding a nut imo... OTS solutions DO happen, the GFS' progessive bias will end up making it seem like it had a clue with this system... One things for sure, Euro certainly didn't score coup. Just my thoughts.  :thumbsdown:

Did you ever think maybe it's not over yet?

WX/PT

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now watch it go from nothing to a big storm? If so, it wouldn't be the first time. After all it is the GFS.

Not unusual at 144-96 hours to see these systems drop out of the picture on the GFS and other models for three to even six or seven runs. The models are notoriously poor at handling systems just prior to their moving in from off the Pacific. I would not write this time-frame totally off just yet. Much will be dependent on the durability of any west coast ridge and the 50/50 low. The models may be singing a different tune by this time tomorrow night....we'll see.

WX/PT

More like a blind squirrel finding a nut imo... OTS solutions DO happen, the GFS' progessive bias will end up making it seem like it had a clue with this system... One things for sure, Euro certainly didn't score coup. Just my thoughts.  :thumbsdown:

Yeah, agreed. The GFS will tend to score coups in a progressive pattern. I think it was last winter that it was able to do so with the fast flow.

Did you ever think maybe it's not over yet?

WX/PT

I didn't say it was over, I was just saying that assuming a weak solution verified it wouldn't be because the GFS had a supreme handling of the situation but more likely because of its biases at work especially during the time frame when the ECMWF was showing a SECS/MECS. Referring to the Euro, I don't believe anyone can make the argument that it can score coup for this event considering it either will 1. Result in waffling or 2. Result in going from a huge storm to nothing. I still give this until Thursday, I agree with your following post that a lot simply relies on the setup out west.  :ph34r: 

Its encouraging that it still has the storm when no other guidance actually does. This run of the model I believe also moved things back in time cause it was a Saturday into Sunday storm ..now it looks more a Sunday into Monday.. So that gives more time to work things out...

Still do not like the fact that the flow is too fast and that does not leave any room for amplification like we were seeing a couple days ago

IMO, it is not encouraging given where we were a couple days ago.

we just simply can't call the storm off especially since it's been trending slower. Yes it has been trending like this storm was going to miss but tonight's run means nothing if we don't start trending towards a snowier solution (bigger storm) we need a good track to have the storm really amplify. And the coastal plains do that since the storm has somewhat went through land (Georgia, Alabama). We need a benchmark track that could slow it down and let the trough sling it northeast with enough amplification to give us a significant 12-16 hour storm. I still think there's hope here. All signs point to the pattern of this seasons nor'easters. It may be warmer but it's still not going to be warmer than last weeks nor'easter cause it's closer to solstice. Put it this way there's a good chance it may snow in NYC this weekend. At least 60%

Sent from my iPhone

Its encouraging that it still has the storm when no other guidance actually does. This run of the model I believe also moved things back in time cause it was a Saturday into Sunday storm ..now it looks more a Sunday into Monday.. So that gives more time to work things out...

Still do not like the fact that the flow is too fast and that does not leave any room for amplification like we were seeing a couple days ago

Later timeframe is not good because the 50/50 will move out and the cold air source with it. Hate to say it but barring major changes beginning today, this particular threat is off the table.

Agreed and it seems to be completly off the table for the time period predicted in this thread 20 -21 - don't know whats up yet with that low on our doorstep to the east on Tuesday morning - also the Christmas eve storm as of now is a cutter that will send a cold front through the area on the 25th which returns us to a much colder pattern - hopefully the cold air will not completely overwhelm the pattern and cause the southern stream to be suppresed as the 6Z GFS is hinting at - also unfortunately we have to keep watching the GFS because until further notice it seems to have a better handle on the pattern - BUT that may

still change

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2014121706&fh=186&xpos=0&ypos=307

GFS lucked out with this storm with its progressive bias. As we get deeper into the season in a weak el nino the EURO will start to consistently beat the GFS. GFS does good with systems northern stream driven but CONSISTENTLY the EURO schools the GFS in a weak el nino with southern stream involvement. This "coup" by the GFS does not change my models choice for the winter.

After this winter we will look at the verification scores for DJFM and we will see what model had the highest verification rate

encouraging... If we could get a low of 999 or lower we could have a storm in our hands. 53541e7c7f7cc16dfb2d848d83e7b36c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

We need a stronger upper level system to create cold air aloft and dynamics to keep it snow for places near the coast, and a stronger low to force a more northerly wind. A lot can still happen but we need a lot more development than this for it to be more than just a mix or light rain.

We need a stronger upper level system to create cold air aloft and dynamics to keep it snow for places near the coast, and a stronger low to force a more northerly wind. A lot can still happen but we need a lot more development than this for it to be more than just a mix or light rain.

we just simply can't call the storm off especially since it's been trending slower. Yes it has been trending like this storm was going to miss but tonight's run means nothing if we don't start trending towards a snowier solution (bigger storm) we need a good track to have the storm really amplify. And the coastal plains do that since the storm has somewhat went through land (Georgia, Alabama). We need a benchmark track that could slow it down and let the trough sling it northeast with enough amplification to give us a significant 12-16 hour storm. I still think there's hope here. All signs point to the pattern of this seasons nor'easters. It may be warmer but it's still not going to be warmer than last weeks nor'easter cause it's closer to solstice. Put it this way there's a good chance it may snow in NYC this weekend. At least 60%

Sent from my iPhone

A low near the benchmark doesn't mean snow. It only means snow in this pattern if the airmass is cold enough or there are dynamics which bring cold air down. A weak low just means light rain. 

Too many Mets and news outlets hammering home the idea this threat is over...big mistake...its too early yet to be flaunting the idea we're off the hook...after 00Z tonight i'd feel more confident but we could potentially see a 180 today with all the data being sampled now.

fwiw comparing the nam init to 12 hour forecasts from the 00z models the southern disturbance is stronger

Too many Mets and news outlets hammering home the idea this threat is over...big mistake...its too early yet to be flaunting the idea we're off the hook...after 00Z tonight i'd feel more confident but we could potentially see a 180 today with all the data being sampled now. 

My thoughts exactly, Goose.

Forgive me for being a noob, but didn't the Boxing Day 2010 storm get written off 5 days in advance, only to come back to life within 24-48 hours of the event?

I am NOT saying that is the analog to use here, but the majority of the major players of this weekend's disturbance haven't really even gotten on the table yet.  Too early to completely write it off.  Correct me/educate me if I'm wrong, please!

Forgive me for being a noob, but didn't the Boxing Day 2010 storm get written off 5 days in advance, only to come back to life within 24-48 hours of the event?

I am NOT saying that is the analog to use here, but the majority of the major players of this weekend's disturbance haven't really even gotten on the table yet.  Too early to completely write it off.  Correct me/educate me if I'm wrong, please!

The pattern was way better for that, ridging out west was not in the best spot but it was a better setup.  I've noticed that when models lose or suddenly start seeing a system around Day 5-6 that often times there is some sort of move back the other direction inside Day 4..its not always enough to be significant but it does seem that if a drastic change occurs around 120-144 hours that change sometimes is mitigated in the end towards the orginal idea...its likely due to data issues over the Pac and NWRN Canada.

There was a huge Greenland block then which slowed down the pattern enough to allow the jet streams to phase over the MS Valley, and turn the storm just soon enough to nail us. The pattern this time is much different.

Could the storm still happen? Sure, but we'll need to see the disturbances trend a lot stronger over the next day or so. 

Nam is going with a secs for Sunday as seen on the dgex... I will stick my tune and say euro,uk,met and gfs are out to lunch.

Verbatim it's rain for just about everyone on the forum. The flow aloft is southwesterly so lots of mid level warm air is brought in, and it's essentially a surge of moderate rain for a few hours and that's it despite a not too bad low track. 

A low offshore doesn't mean snow in this pattern.

I understand the instinct of some amateurs to want to play with the big boys & girls ( Red Taggers) but perhaps a little thought before speaking out would be beneficial to both yourselves & the forum. If you dont understand basic trough/ ridge dynamics & believe Met. to be simply about posting a model or 2 - Eg. the NAM because it suits your Snow weenism- it might behoove you to remain silent and learn! Nothing wrong with saying I Dont know!

Archived