joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 20 - 21 Coastal Storm Threat

jm1220

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad DT is here to  correctly analyze the models. There is too much negativity in this forum.

A couple of things. DT isn't in our area, so what might work for him won't necessarily work for us. Two, the Euro ens from last night were significantly worse for us than 12z yesterday. The track is still decent, but the low is much weaker, and the flow much flatter. There are also lots of clustered low pressures well west of the mean, some of which are inland. It wasn't pretty.

Hour 123, immediate coastal sections getting brushed with some snow. BL is warm but the other levels are below freezing.

IL, when light precip is falling with temps in the upper 30s, even all other levels are sub freezing, which I also doubt, it does not typically translate to snow at the coast. This is likely light rain showers.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but the rapid trends towards dampening the western ridge is definitely concerning. That was slowing down the pattern allowing both amplification of our shortwave, the northern stream, and less stress on the Rex Block and 50/50 low. The ridge was blocking the PAC jet from shoving everything east. The ridge was the door keeping it in the other room, and now that the door is broken, the PAC jet runs into our pattern like a bunch of crazy kids. 

IL, when light precip is falling with temps in the upper 30s, even all other levels are sub freezing, which I also doubt, it does not typically translate to snow at the coast. This is likely light rain showers.

I'm assuming that the GFS is up to it's usual crap with regards to surface temps.

So you are saying it can't snow at 33/34F.

I am saying conditions were probably better on Oct. 30-31, 2011  with strong vert. motion and heavy precip. that fell at a rate greater than it could melt, so I actually saw snow on all surfaces accumalate, and I am near the ocean!  I did not check the column in either case.   Suppose if only last 100m. or so are above 0C you could see snow.   What about skin temp, dew point.?

I generally agree with you, but the H5 setup is what I am looking at and the trends are disconcerting.

Well the Pacific jet is causing havoc. Hopefully the models aren't getting a good handling on it the last 24 hours. We still have a good 5 days to play around so we have time to trend better.

Archived