joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Storm II

Cold Rain

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But seriously, some of these local NWS discussions are a bit bland for a reason. I don't think any of us(if in their shoes) would be throwing the "white Christmas" wording around until say Wednesday AM at the earliest. Man, it's one thing to bust on here...it's quite another to bust in front of the whole community. HPC does see the threat in their afternoon discussion. It would, however, be nice to know what the local professionals are thinking - even if it is just an option. Morristown has been pretty good here in NE TN this year for the record.

But seriously, some of these local NWS discussions are a bit bland for a reason. I don't think any of us(if in their shoes) would be throwing the "white Christmas" wording around until say Wednesday AM at the earliest. Man, it's one thing to bust on here...it's quite another to bust in front of the whole community. HPC does see the threat in their afternoon discussion. It would, however, be nice to know what the local professionals are thinking - even if it is just an option. Morristown has been pretty good here in NE TN this year for the record.

People will remember a Christmas bust for years and years then they will ask why tax money is going to people that are making bad predictions even if they are right 80% of the time. Nothing wrong with being conservative this far out, that's for sure.

Yeah, y'all know a lot better than me, but those ensemble means seem pretty worthless, especially when there is a big spread between the different members.

thats why I don't really use them unless all Op. Models are close to one another, In this case it may actually be useful, but usually (not always) the op. model leads the way. It may be good to compare the GFS ens. against another members ensembles. I forecast more on the pattern and whats happened in the past, indicies and what I think the operational models are hinting out. For us, since we're such a microclimate, makes it hard, and even less useful for ensembles. But for a broad region, speaking for a large area of real estate such as the East Coast in general, it would be more useful. Certainly pay no attention to details like the Zero line placement in ensembles. Just broad brushes.

People will remember a Christmas bust for years and years then they will ask why tax money is going to people that are making bad predictions even if they are right 80% of the time. Nothing wrong with being conservative this far out, that's for sure.

They'll also wonder where their tax money is going when they have travel plans and don't get plenty of heads up too. The discussion was lame. Putting possibiilites in there is different from putting it in the forecast.

Come on, they just need to do their job. Right 80% of the time because 80% of the time nothing is happening.

Come on, they just need to do their job. Right 80% of the time because 80% of the time nothing is happening.

I'm just saying, it's Monday who is going to be put out because they didn't toot the horn about possibilities 5 days away? I don't get this calling them idiots because they are not being bullish about a storm that may or may not happen that far out.

Archived