joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is comparing Dec 86 and 09 versus what he thinks will occur this month. He meant 86/87 and 09/10.

A lot of people thought 09/10 was a viable analog back in Oct but not now.

87 is much better analog for a few reasons, IMO.

Thanks for the clarification pack!  If I remember 87 correctly, we had a lot of small events.  I believe there was a 2-3 week period in February that was very active.

Doesn't look like much of anything until the second half of December at least. Hopefully, we can start getting some real action around Christmas and have several threats throughout the rest of winter. It looks like that is the thinking of the majority of mets and other posters, and everything is still on track for a big winter. Winter just started today after all. Maybe the first half of December is just the calm before the storm.

That's awesome.  I was just eyeballing the 850s from the ewall page.  But like Larry said, I'm not sure where all the heatwave talk is coming from.  Maybe the CFS?

I think it has more to do with people not seeing the JS drop cold fronts in the next 10 days like it did throughout November.

They forgot what normal/seasonal looked like, which makes the pattern appear as giant fire breathing dragons coming to scorch the earth.

I think it has more to do with people not seeing the JS drop cold fronts in the next 10 days like it did throughout November.

They forgot what normal/seasonal looked like, which makes the pattern appear as giant fire breathing dragons coming to scorch the earth.

Ironic that you mention that type of pattern for December when the last installment of The Hobbit is due out very soon. :)  Maybe the Bilbo of normalcy will save us from torching.

Ironic that you mention that type of pattern for December when the last installment of The Hobbit is due out very soon. :)  Maybe the Bilbo of normalcy will save us from torching.

If you let the weather forums shape your outlook:

CFS = "I am fire...I am death"

Jet Stream = "You Will Burn!"

Meanwhile the people in Laketown are covered in snow.

I'm not sure the Raleigh area would like a 1986-1987 winter, but anyone west of I-85 in NC and the northwest 3rd of SC would love it. Especially the NC mountains since they got 2 extra storms that most of the rest of the area missed. One of those was an early April monster that dropped a ton of snow there over a 2-3 day period. 

I'm starting to get flashbacks of the 2011-12 winter. Not good

Are you serious? I can't believe some of the posts I have read today. Just seems like no attention has been made to other posters who have put in a bunch of time to prove how what we are seeing now is nowhere near what to expect later on. Unreal.

Are you serious? I can't believe some of the posts I have read today. Just seems like no attention has been made to other posters who have put in a bunch of time to prove how what we are seeing now is nowhere near what to expect later on. Unreal.

there are lots of people with a vast amount of knowledge on this board, but in the end the weather will do what it wants to do. I believe people were saying 2011-12 would be a cold winter but in the end it was probably the warmest winter I can ever recall. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen. Nothing can be ruled out. It could be a banner winter or it could be a complete bust.

there are lots of people with a vast amount of knowledge on this board, but in the end the weather will do what it wants to do. I believe people were saying 2011-12 would be a cold winter but in the end it was probably the warmest winter I can ever recall. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen. Nothing can be ruled out. It could be a banner winter or it could be a complete bust.

Really? To even consider the 2011-2012 winter is ludicrous. Sure nobody knows exactly how it will play out but there are no real arguments for a warm winter period.

Archived