CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV obs(and Big Jim's obs too!) 11/14-11/20

Scotty Lightning

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was nice to awaken by a thunderstorm at 3:30 am It has been a couple of months since we had one at night. The wind gusts of 50 mph pretty much stripped the trees of leaves. Still waiting for the excitement to build on the board for late next weeks storm event. Even if it is a miss, it brings together the board members for the holidays on a good starting point. It almost feels as good as when the redskins lost this past weekendSnowman.giflaugh.gif

Seems like gusts may have been higher than just 54 mph no? Not sure what it takes to get small planes like that to flip and such, especially seeing some of the structural damage. I would have thought maybe 60-65 mph gusts?

Well, just remember, wind can vary over very small distances, and if I recall correctly, the small plane parking area and hangers are a pretty good distance from the ASOS.

Second time in two years that Trenton Airport was hit square in the jaw by a severe thunderstorm.

0.52", a downed tree two long blocks over and 3-6" of red maple leaves everywhere.

Unlike last time, I wasn't flying down US 101 toward San Francisco when I learned of today's event...getting a call on your cell about a big storm while driving 70 or so in California traffic is hazardous to your health ;)

Seems like gusts may have been higher than just 54 mph no? Not sure what it takes to get small planes like that to flip and such, especially seeing some of the structural damage. I would have thought maybe 60-65 mph gusts?

Small planes can take flight at 50-60MPH...so wind gusts of similar strength could certainly toss them around.

The wind was howling all day here-I woke up at 1am when the storms came on through...and then went back to bed around 3 and woke back up around 6. The wind was gusting up to about 35-40mph and made driving fun around here. Yet, no tree damage or wires down around here as the only issue was a lot of leaves scattered everywhere.

Pretty impressive damage from this morning's storms in Trenton:

Seven single-engine planes were damaged at Trenton Mercer Airport in Ewing Township, including two that flipped over. Three sections of roof blew off a hangar after a wind gust of 55 mph.

http://www.nj.com/ne...small_airp.html

Winds have been pretty gusty here today but nothing extraordinary. I haven't seen any tree damage, just a lot of leaves blowing around.

I've never seen this posted before but it is a good thing to post.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

CHILD ABDUCTION EMERGENCY

NEW JERSEY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY MOUNT HOLLY NEW JERSEY

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

725 PM EST WED NOV 17 2010

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE NEW

JERSEY STATE POLICE MISSING PERSONS UNIT.

THE FOLLOWING IS AN AMBER ALERT. A NON CUSTODIAL PARENTAL

ABDUCTION OCCURRED IN PENNSAUKEN. A ONE YEAR OLD INFANT BY THE

NAME OF JOSE JUAN FLORES WAS TAKEN BY THE FATHER JOSE FLORES

WHOSE DATE OF BIRTH IS NOVEMBER 17, 1989. HE WAS LAST SEEN ON 840

VELDE AVENUE IN PENNSAUKEN. HE LEFT THE AREA OF HIS MOTHER`S

HOME POSSIBLY IN A TAN OR GOLD MINIVAN WITH NEW JERSEY PLATE 5 8 D

L X SMALL 0 1.

MR FLORES MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY A FEMALE NAMED BRIE N LONIA AKA

CALDERONE WHOSE DATE OF BIRTH IS AUGUST 18TH 1983.

Going off what my uncle says, who live in susquehanna county about 45- hr north of scranton he always gets lake effect. Scranton prob gets some lake effect, but i imagine the downslope hurts them.

He;s close to binghamton and they alway get light lake effect snow up there--your right about the downsloping==whole different ballgame in this county--im just wondering if squalls make it this far because my car is NO GOOD in snow!

He;s close to binghamton and they alway get light lake effect snow up there--your right about the downsloping==whole different ballgame in this county--im just wondering if squalls make it this far because my car is NO GOOD in snow!

Jim, lake effect snow squalls do make it to the Scanton area. This does not happen all the time though when lake effect is occurring, as the well aligned flow has to be strong enough (outside of synoptic scale forcing) to allow the squalls to reach well inland.

Well, just remember, wind can vary over very small distances, and if I recall correctly, the small plane parking area and hangers are a pretty good distance from the ASOS.

Good point, something I was thinking of but wasn't sure.

Small planes can take flight at 50-60MPH...so wind gusts of similar strength could certainly toss them around.

Thanks...interesting to know, thought it would take a little more but makes sense that can happen, especially if enough wind gets under the Plane to lift it upward.

Archived