joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because it says 0.786" as snow doesn't mean that it's accumulating. You're going to need some insane rates in order to combat temps in the mid-30's during the middle of the day in Queens on November 26th. And some of that is backend stuff which usually doesn't work out.

NE Queens is similar to the Bronx and Upper Manhattan but with much more greenery, parks, hills and trees.

NW, Central and Southern Queens are urban jungles and will have a tough time accumulating, unless the rates are high. Same goes for all of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Marginal surface temps will make it very hard for snow to accumulate in the NYC boroughs.

The only thing that can save the NYC boroughs and parts of LI would be a deform type heavy band towards the back side. While rare, they can happen.

As others have said I95 could be close to the dividing line, at least between accumulating snow and non accumulating snow. I've seen snow falling in the route 1 corridor unable to stick during the day unless its very heavy if temps are above freezing. But away from the heat island in the burbs it will pile up faster

Oh yes, I know that line all too well and experienced it quite often. I've seen an inch of snow fall in Metuchen and nada near Woodbridge. I-95 really is the battle zone location.

NE Queens is similar to the Bronx and Upper Manhattan but with much more greenery, parks, hills and trees.

NW, Central and Southern Queens are urban jungles and will have a tough time accumulating, unless the rates are high. Same goes for all of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Marginal surface temps will make it very hard for snow to accumulate in the NYC boroughs.

The only thing that can save the NYC boroughs and parts of LI would be a deform type heavy band towards the back side. While rare, they can happen.

The problem is that 850mb temps are in the 0C to -2C range. That's terrible for snow growth. Add the warm punch at 700mb and you're looking at 2:1 ratios. Such a wet snow falling with the surface above freezing might as well be rain.

Guys we will get snow in NYC tossing the Nam aside, we may be all snow. :whistle:

It's not going to be all snow in the City. Sorry, not happening. We've seen this play out way too many times. 

Hopefully the Euro and other models later tick colder at the mid levels. It's looking like there might be a nasty sleet zone around the city and maybe even western LI. The boundary layer will be too unfavorable for more than a rain/sleet mix from Islip east. Any easterly wind component also kills coastal NJ's chances.

Correct me if I am wrong... but at this range I am thinking in order of models that are typically most reliable:

Euro, NAM, RGEM, UKIE, GFS?

RGEM is more reliable than the NAM by a considerable margin. As the day progresses the RGEM will become the go to model until the HRRR and RAP get into their wheelhouse. 

The problem is that 850mb temps are in the 0C to -2C range. That's terrible for snow growth. Add the warm punch at 700mb and you're looking at 2:1 ratios. Such a wet snow falling with the surface above freezing might as well be rain.

NE queens can also taint from the sound this time of year, we have seen big differences between whitestone and bayside.

I will be happy if I get an inch. This storm is going to have a lot of busts ( Good and bad )

Same here, any November snow is a bonus. Hopefully an appetizer for what's coming. 

Too bad this one has such a marginal airmass to work with-if we had this storm with the cold airmass last week it would be easily heavy snow everywhere. 

very similar path and will be very sharp cutoff between 6 inches and nothing, city will be borderline again, probably 3 heavy inches late afternoon

I think there might be some wide variations in totals across the city and maybe even northern Nassau. JFK I could see walking away with a slushy 1-2" and Yonkers with 6". 

Archived