Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its  not 1 run ..

the  RGEM   which does NOT have a WARM BIAS    shows the same thing

the  Upper air pattern   is NOT   favorable for NYC  snow event   event  

there is a  reason why  CLIMO  snow in richland / westchester / sw CT    ne  NJ  does   better with snow.

This event is one one of those times

seanick, on 25 Nov 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Why is everyone jumping on one run of the NAM?

Hey DT - happy you are posting - but I think you meant Rockland County.

lol. quite true. Kew Gardens, where Im, is a highly funky location since it alternatly fits climo profiles of cpk lga and jfk depending on nature of storm

Yup, same with Forest Hills.  

I wouldn't expect to be totally skunked from this, but not as good as LGA or NYC, and not as bad as JFK.

Way too warm for Middlesex, Monmouth area. 925mb is above freezing for the duration.

All of middlesex? I've seen these kind of storms before. Sleet/rain in eastern middlesex county and more snow for western middlesex, near somerset county and western union counties. This could be that kind of storm that sees a big difference between Scotch plains/Plainfield and Woodbridge township.

Looks wrong to me... 700 mb temps on Nam pass most of the city the warm nose 0c+. It would sleet given temps below that are cold. Not rain. Looks to be snow - sleet on Nam.

here is the 40km NAM soundings for JFK http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM212/NAM212_Kjfk.txt

The thing is, if the warming happens ABOVE 700MB, unless those layers are saturated it wont matter because the precip will be made BELOW that level. Snow is usually produced at 700MB...interesting situation, I dont believe I remember a sounding where the warming was above 700MB and the rest of the column was below 0C.

All of middlesex? I've seen these kind of storms before. Sleet/rain in eastern middlesex county and more snow for western middlesex, near somerset county and western union counties. This could be that kind of storm that sees a big difference between Scotch plains/Plainfield and Woodbridge township.

The further inland you are the better off you will be. The NJ turnpike looks to be the dividing line.

As others have said I95 could be close to the dividing line, at least between accumulating snow and non accumulating snow. I've seen snow falling in the route 1 corridor unable to stick during the day unless its very heavy if temps are above freezing. But away from the heat island in the burbs it will pile up faster

Just because it says 0.786" as snow doesn't mean that it's accumulating. You're going to need some insane rates in order to combat temps in the mid-30's during the middle of the day in Queens on November 26th. And some of that is backend stuff which usually doesn't work out.

throw in 700mb temps at or just below 0C and it equals a very low ratio crusty snow fall that will have a very hard time accumulating (in and around [to the east of] the city.

Same issue in W. Monmouth. Totally different world than E. Monmouth.

Rossi

Archived