joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro has a transient -AO signal since the best height rises are ending up more east instead

of Davis Strait centered. It's not showing that big Alaska to the Pole and Greenland pattern

like last year.

The Control is more bullish , and really reloads the cold by day 15 it splits the vortex and sends a piece into Hudson bay and another into Europe .The ensembles are a little smoother .

But even on the ensembles it forces the vortex on our side of the pole and that`s  not a bad starting point . ( Let`s hope it`s a starting point ) .

Trough in here by day 7 - Didn`t mean to make it sound later than that .  Was referencing the push of the vortex

The Control is more bullish , and really reloads the cold by day 15 it splits the vortex and sends a piece into Hudson bay and another into Europe .The ensembles are a little smoother .

But even on the ensembles it forces the vortex on our side of the pole and that`s  not a bad starting point . ( Let`s hope it`s a starting point ) .

That control is very erratic past day 5 so I only look at the ensemble means. Notice how the GEFS ensembles 

have been showing eye candy AO drops near the end of the runs that have been muted the closer in we

got.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2014122106&fh=6&xpos=0&ypos=0

attachicon.gifwe.gif

last frames of the GFS and GEM Ensembles today

in the words of Sir Charles Barkley

Just Terrible

Whats terrible about that? Its a mean which is showing a ridge out west and a trof in the East with a flat Se ridge. Looks ok to me for a mean.

Whats terrible about that? Its a mean which is showing a ridge out west and a trof in the East. Looks ok to me for a mean.

the weather popes..... dope

Finally let me state that I do have some concerns but the cold pattern is NOT going to last past Mid january over the eastern third of the country. There are couple reasons for this. FIRST the QBO is NOT weakening at all. The latest data from ESRL shows that if anything the QBO is still at -25.5. This is a very bad sign for those counting on sustained cold winter patterns over the eastern half of country.

http://www.wxrisk.com/the-dts/

he had a wake up call  :axe: 

Bluewave and I had that DT conversation yesterday. There are going to be a few events in the pattern past the 28th and bluewave has been saying there's prob a mid month pullback and most agreed.

No one should have expected wire to wire cold. We said the pattern would change on the 28th and it will.

Then you should get a pull back mid Jan . That does not mean winters over it does imply like we spoke about yesterday if you were expecting last year's extremes you were being unreasonable

Guest Patrick

Lost in all of this concern about the AO, NAO, EPO, QBO, PNA, SSW, SSTs, & the need for some SSRIs, is that every index doesn't have to line up... actually... it's better if they don't.  Sustained cold is not necessary for snow. Does it make it easier? Yes and No - so - not really.  Give me a Jumbled clusterf*ck of long range indices, a favorable gradient pattern with cold air nearby in Canada & an active STJ, and I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

I realize it's a progressive flow, but that does not mean it is less likely to produce.  It's just less likely to produce a HECS.  Line up all of the the indices just right, and you'll end up with the perfect storm...probably for DC/Va.  We don't need perfect.  I agree with the sustained cold not showing up, but so what.  It doesn't take too much digging to see that some of our best snowy winters weren't all that cold.

Move this to banter if you want, I have no horse in this race.  Just calling it like it is.

-Patrick

the weather popes..... dope

Finally let me state that I do have some concerns but the cold pattern is NOT going to last past Mid january over the eastern third of the country. There are couple reasons for this. FIRST the QBO is NOT weakening at all. The latest data from ESRL shows that if anything the QBO is still at -25.5. This is a very bad sign for those counting on sustained cold winter patterns over the eastern half of country.

http://www.wxrisk.com/the-dts/

he had a wake up call  :axe: 

The key to watch for an El Nino winter will be what happens January 16-February 28 since they are back-loaded

by nature. We are still a ways off on calling what will happen that far out in time.

There was snow on the ground in NYC Jan 17 1978 then it went crazy so in  pos enso back loaded winters happen .

I agree with the NAO but that ok with me  , I don`t for the life of me understand what the fascination is with a NEG NAO .  You run a huge risk of suppression .

Everyone thinks KU storms are a dime a dozen , we have probably lost many more EC storms due to a NEG NAO then without .

For the last time F THE NAO . It is not needed here to snow . -EPO/-AO brings the cold . Get a storm track underneath and you snow on snow . Who wants 2 weeks of cold and dry and then a whiff .

People have no idea what is needed here, they hear NAO and think it`s some kind of fail safe. ITS NOT

Violently agree with everything you said here. -AO is far more important if you want snows. There are charts posted on other sub-forums here that show this very well. It's almost like people think it's a prerequisite to have a -NAO for any snow, and it's tiring to see people keep saying as much. Now if you're looking for some big time storm, you probably want a -NAO. Either way, you still need everything to come together for it to work out. I mean, I've seen perfect patterns that haven't paid off. Also, crappy patterns that have paid off. 

There was snow on the ground in NYC Jan 17 1978 then it went crazy so in  pos enso back loaded winters happen .

That year was a bit of an outlier for El Nino back-loadedness, so I would probably shoot for something

more modest along the lines of the majority of other El Nino winters that didn't produce in December.

El Nino Decembers since 1980 when there was no strong -AO December signal

and the NYC seasonal snowfall.

82-83.........27.2

86-87.........23.1

87-88.........19.1

91-92.........12.6

94-95..........11.8

97-98..........5.5

04-05..........41.0

06-07..........12.4

Pretty ugly list but not surprising. The optimism sure changed in a hurry but there are so many mixed signals going forward that it's difficult to lean one way or the other.

At least we should still have a good period of chances post Xmas and I'm not even going to bother speculating what happens 2-3 weeks from now.

Keep an eye out on the Dec 28-Jan 1st period. Last night's EURO & this AM's GFS show a somewhat favorable pattern for that time period. Both are showing a +PNA spike which correlates to a shot at a snowstorm around that time period. 

We also have some light ridging over Greenland. Albeit small, it helps a little.

What I'm seeing this AM;

pwXOzty.gif

pfHzJTK.gif

Any theory on why the Euro individual storm details have been so erratic after 120 recently?

The 168 hr forecast verifying for today was just one example. There have been plenty of

high profile misses going back to November with several day 7-10 fantasy snowstorms

that never panned out. So even with the more -EPO coming up, I will be very skeptical

of day 7-10 storms that look too good to be true. Let us not also forget some of those

super deep solutions for the 12-24 storm that the model has been backing away from.

But the ensembles still seem to be doing well on the 500 mb teleconnection patterns

like the more -EPO that has been advertised.

I'm a bit confused how does MJO play into all of this ??

4 5 6 promote ridging off the east. However it's only 1 signal

You have to see how the epo and AO evolve in addition the mjo amplitude will play a roll as to how much ridging there is Its 2 weeks away and would look at how this progress

It seems like the pattern is getting more favorable on the guidance and then it begins to back off. For example todays run of the ECM at day 10 shows a cutter again. To me it seems as if the core of the cold is going to be set up in the west and central part of the US.

We don't need the core of the cold just for it to be cold enough

Archived