joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Total New England Snow Table

Kevin W

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow you have that much? I wonder if I am too low. We had comparable storms. I hate not being able to measure.

Yeah. Big thing that put me over Logan was the blizzard(was +7.4" compared to their terrible measurement), otherwise I'm running basically even with them. I agree that our totals should be pretty close so it seems strange. How have you been coming up with your #'s since you imply you haven't been able to measure?

Yeah. Big thing that put me over Logan was the blizzard(was +7.4" compared to their terrible measurement), otherwise I'm running basically even with them. I agree that our totals should be pretty close so it seems strange. How have you been coming up with your #'s since you imply you haven't been able to measure?

Best guess, PNS etc. I mean I can't make up numbers either due to compaction. It's not like it's egregious and falls within normal variance of snowfall measuring.  My issue is when I do measure, sometimes it sticks out to other totals. The others either don't know how to measure, or stick it in the ground after it is done. I LOL at the "media" reports of snowfall. I try to do it every 6 hrs when i am home.

Best guess, PNS etc. I mean I can't make up numbers either due to compaction. It's not like it's egregious and falls within normal variance of snowfall measuring. My issue is when I do measure, sometimes it sticks out to other totals. The others either don't know how to measure, or stick it in the ground after it is done. I LOL at the "media" reports of snowfall. I try to do it every 6 hrs when i am home.

Yeah I've been trying to do every 6 hours but it's tricky considering the environment I'm working with, especially in long duration events where

settling/compaction becomes an issue. Haven't sent anything to NWS for that reason but I'm reasonably confident in most of them.

From what I've seen, there's a lot of stick it in the ground that works it's way onto PNS's (I have quite a few regular readers on my site who post obs by just sending me a screenshot of the ruler at the end of the event and then I see those totals on the pns, sure it's the same in MA as well) partially because I don't think NWS does a very good job of emphasizing how you should

measure when they ask for totals on FB/twitter and partially because even if people do know they see it as "too much work" and figure it doesn't really matter anyway.

Wish there was some sort of formula you could use to get a good idea of what an every 6 hours measurement would be compared to a final measurement.

And yeah usually(not always though there are some exceptions), anything from the media is LOL. Funny how it always matches their forecast...

The numbers in Boston are amazing. They had 5.5" prior to the 1/26 blizzard now they're at 87.9. To put in retrospect, I had 30" on the season prior to the 1/26 blizzard and currently at 82". 82.4" in the past 16 days for Boston is beyond belief. 

That is absolutely awe inspiring.

I'd be stunned if Boston dioesn't unseat '96.

Archived