• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

We're one of the only areas that have had a decent 6-10" snowfall. And last winter was ok, but compared to the record breaking nonsense that was happening to our S & W, I don't look back on it so glowingly.

I'm getting a little antsy, but assuming we get a couple of inches with the Saturday system and the follow up clipper gives us some more, we're on track to have a decent winter. And that'll make it 3 in a row after abysmal clunkers like 2009-10 and 2011-12.

That 6-10'' snowfall although was nice, was a total flook. How many systems spin back like that and produce 8-9'' of snow? If it weren't for that storm this winter would really been off to a bad start 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 6-10'' snowfall although was nice, was a total flook. How many systems spin back like that and produce 8-9'' of snow? If it weren't for that storm this winter would really been off to a bad start 

Does that make it count any less? We get rooked by being in storm screwholes all the time...does that make the sucky winters that those screwholes in the aggregate create any less sucky?

We're one of the only areas that have had a decent 6-10" snowfall. And last winter was ok, but compared to the record breaking nonsense that was happening to our S & W, I don't look back on it so glowingly.

I'm getting a little antsy, but assuming we get a couple of inches with the Saturday system and the follow up clipper gives us some more, we're on track to have a decent winter. And that'll make it 3 in a row after abysmal clunkers like 2009-10 and 2011-12.

This^^

Does that make it count any less? We get rooked by being in storm screwholes all the time...does that make the sucky winters that those screwholes in the aggregate create any less sucky?

I just want a snowstorm that comes from the SW. This ****ing SE ridge is even too strong for us.

Nonsense? That was like the best winter of my adulthood. Clearly not nonsense. ;):D

SoCal

Southern California has more snow this month then most of us. :yikes:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

"congratulations, Bo"

post-9793-0-36934100-1420065952_thumb.jp

post-9793-0-68525300-1420065968_thumb.jp

The pictures out of SoCal are amazing, and the altitudes & accumulation are too -- Saddleback mountains viewed from Laguna Niguel:

post-9793-0-02499900-1420066156_thumb.jp

Couple more. Love it when snow gets down to the desert.

post-9793-0-93129400-1420066238_thumb.jp

And an obligatory Jtree pic

post-9793-0-60608900-1420066286_thumb.jp

All off of socal NWS, NPS, and local media twitter

Nonsense? That was like the best winter of my adulthood. Clearly not nonsense. ;):D

it was the best winter Detroit will ever see. Little things that dont even show in the statistics (which on their own make it Detroit's severest winter recorded as is). It looked like the snowbelt of the UP mid-winter, its not ever getting its crown taken. But I think ssc was talking strictly Toronto

it was the best winter Detroit will ever see. Little things that dont even show in the statistics (which on their own make it Detroit's severest winter recorded as is). It looked like the snowbelt of the UP mid-winter, its not ever getting its crown taken. But I think ssc was talking strictly Toronto

lol, I know what he was talking about. I was just kidding him a little. But, I'll be forever protective of winter 2013-14. :guitar: 

High temperature only cracking 20F today and we'll be getting another piss tank on the weekend. How amusing! This winter is slowly losing its satisfaction with me. Seems like forever since we got that surprise snowstorm in Toronto 2-3 weeks ago. 

Whats even more disappointing is another cold outbreak starting next week. Cold-rain-cold is not my favourite recipe. 

Happy New years everyone! 

Now that the weekend storm is falling apart, I can't wait to see how the 1/5/14 to 1/6/14 clipper fails also...

Its still so young in the season, but this is starting to behave like some of the winters back in the 1940s and 1960s where the precip was normal-ish, the temps normal if not cold, but below normal snow because they could not sync up with each other. I have never personally experienced this though, as weve obviously been on an orgasmic snow blitz this century and the rare instances we dont get above normal snow its because we are very mild.

I will behave until Wednesday. The GEM and EURO have been up and down with it, but I have NEVER seen such outstanding agreement as I have seen with the clipper on the GFS and its ensembles for days, since its been like 8-9 days out and we are now entering the 5-day out period. The placement obviously oscillates run to run and ensemble to ensemble, but they show a consistent widespread band of snow, easily the most widespread snow event of the season for the midwest/lakes, and a nice, cold snow too (temps in the single digits and teens). I like where we sit too, not only because traditionally we are in a very good spot for clippers, but because we seem to have plenty of buffer room depending on which track the clipper takes (whether we are on the northern side, the southern side, or the bullseye, we should get a blanket of snow). If this ends up failing I will go on a rant like I have not since Jan 1, 2008.

Its still so young in the season, but this is starting to behave like some of the winters back in the 1940s and 1960s where the precip was normal-ish, the temps normal if not cold, but below normal snow because they could not sync up with each other. I have never personally experienced this though, as weve obviously been on an orgasmic snow blitz this century and the rare instances we dont get above normal snow its because we are very mild.

I will behave until Wednesday. The GEM and EURO have been up and down with it, but I have NEVER seen such outstanding agreement as I have seen with the clipper on the GFS and its ensembles for days, since its been like 8-9 days out and we are now entering the 5-day out period. The placement obviously oscillates run to run and ensemble to ensemble, but they show a consistent widespread band of snow, easily the most widespread snow event of the season for the midwest/lakes, and a nice, cold snow too (temps in the single digits and teens). I like where we sit too, not only because traditionally we are in a very good spot for clippers, but because we seem to have plenty of buffer room depending on which track the clipper takes (whether we are on the northern side, the southern side, or the bullseye, we should get a blanket of snow). If this ends up failing I will go on a rant like I have not since Jan 1, 2008.

I will say that only the GFS has that 1/5/14 to 1/6/14 clipper (as in anything beyond a whiff to the SW or a strip of just light snow) at this point...

I will say that only the GFS has that 1/5/14 to 1/6/14 clipper (as in anything beyond a whiff to the SW or a strip of just light snow) at this point...

The GEM has been all over with it, no consistency, and the same with its ensembles. Some of them have a killer clipper, others have nothing. The Euro is the one that only has a strip of light snow to my knowledge, but I never see precip maps just qpf output so I cant say.

I guess I am really ready to rant about how this winter is going.  I noticed a fairly consistent pattern that seems to have started back around mid-September (post #35 in this thread).  Now that is more of an outline and not exact but from what I have seen we seem to be following that general pattern.  Note: it does not mean we will not get snow as this is very general trend not an exact track comment.  So any one of the storms very well hit us and I hope/believe we have some fun down this winter road.  Plus at any time the pattern could finally change.

My expectation for this winter (following the 13-14 winter) is that it would pretty much feel like 82-83ish (not from a pattern perspective but from a misery perspective ... after 81-82 the winter of 82-83 was just miserable).  I am still believe it will not end nearly as miserable as 82-83 was but December kept it on the same playing field.

I guess I am really ready to rant about how this winter is going.  I noticed a fairly consistent pattern that seems to have started back around mid-September (post #35 in this thread).  Now that is more of an outline and not exact but from what I have seen we seem to be following that general pattern.  Note: it does not mean we will not get snow as this is very general trend not an exact track comment.  So any one of the storms very well hit us and I hope/believe we have some fun down this winter road.  Plus at any time the pattern could finally change.

My expectation for this winter (following the 13-14 winter) is that it would pretty much feel like 82-83ish (not from a pattern perspective but from a misery perspective ... after 81-82 the winter of 82-83 was just miserable).  I am still believe it will not end nearly as miserable as 82-83 was but December kept it on the same playing field.

Funny thing about post #35 is that everyone loses in that type of pattern (unless they're in MN/Northern Wisconsin/Northern Michigan). 

The folks who want the big/intense snowstorms don't get their fix, and the folks who simply want snowflakes in the air and snow on the ground don't get their fix either...

As I stated earlier, this winter so far has been an equal opportunity failure. :lol:

I too was preparing for a terrible winter since last spring. I have looked at enough stats to know thats how it tends to work out, not to mention the super nino calls. Then I took the bait in Fall when EVERYONE went with another cold/brutal winter, but should have stuck with my instinct. Im sure it wont be 1982-83 or 1881-82 bad (clearly from a temp perspective thats already NOT happening). November was good and December a nightmare, so as I said the other day, not at ALL surprised where we are on Jan 1st, just surprised how we got here. Tons of winter left so lets see how everything plays out.

Funny thing about post #35 is that everyone loses in that type of pattern (unless they're in MN/Northern Wisconsin/Northern Michigan). 

The folks who want the big/intense snowstorms don't get their fix, and the folks who simply want snowflakes in the air and snow on the ground don't get their fix either...

As I stated earlier, this winter so far has been an equal opportunity failure. :lol:

One thought is now that the SE ridge seems to be a bit strong and NAO mainly going positive again there is hope for us.   But a full phasing storm has been like pulling teeth!!!

I'm preparing for my third "33 and rain" event  of the winter. :underthewx:

50˚+ for both of us is doable. Open the windows and let out the funk for a little bit. :D

Nonsense is in the eye in the beholder I guess. :P HNY Tim.

You too Mike. I hope 2015 is a great one for you. :)

Archived