Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov 1/2 Coastal Chance?

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont care if the NAM showed a blizzard for us. Me personally i think the NAM is just as bad as the SREF's at this range, honestly when was the last time the NAM was taken seriously here? GFS/EURO/UKMET/GGEM have ALOT more weight than those two at any range IMO

NAM nails 1-2 events a year in the long range (hours 60-84). But most of the time it's useless.

One classic one it nailed was the huge inverted trough that dropped 4"-8"+ area wide after a large missed coastal storm. I think it was March 2013.

IMO, this event has a better chance of a large inverted trough feature, then a fully phased coastal and models will not pick that up until inside of 36 hours. If that.

NAM nails 1-2 events a year in the long range (hours 60-84). But most of the time it's useless.

One classic one it nailed was the huge inverted trough that dropped 4"-8"+ area wide after a large missed coastal storm. I think it was March 2013.

IMO, this event has a better chance of a large inverted trough feature, then a fully phased coastal and models will not pick that up until inside of 36 hours. If that.

I remember this well.  The NAM refused to back down despite the other models (esp GFS) whiffing.  The key on that one was it was an inverted trough feature (and a huge one is right), something that the NAM would have an easier time seeing than the other models due to its resolution.  This seems to be a set up on a larger scale, which is why I like the Euro Ens staying consistent.  Of course, some agreement with the other globals would be nice during this upcoming suite --- one way or the other.

To hang your hat on the NAM (based on last performance) is a danger in and of itself; however, to use a mesoscale model for a 72-84 hour forecast is misusing the model.

It was a much better phase, but it was more progressive with the trough progression.

I'm starting to think the problem is the trough digging into the West Coast. As the ridge amplifies it's pushing east. This is why I have been saying all along that the ridge axis needs to be closer to Idaho.

The lead vort and storm is destroying what chance we have at a major low nearby. It shifts the baroclinic zone and trough east. This has been apparent on the models for days now, so it has a good chance of happening unfortunately. The result is a strung out mess that's pushed out to sea.

The lead vort and storm is destroying what chance we have at a major low nearby. It shifts the baroclinic zone and trough east. This has been apparent on the models for days now, so it has a good chance of happening unfortunately. The result is a strung out mess that's pushed out to sea.

You have to like what you see on the Euro ensembles. It has been steady for days.I don't think we will know the outcome of this upcoming storm until at least tomorrow night or even Friday.

You have to like what you see on the Euro ensembles. It has been steady for days.I don't think we will know the outcome of this upcoming storm until at least tomorrow night or even Friday.

You have to be careful with the euro ensemble mean. The individuals have a bunch of super amped members that hug the coast with a full phase and skew the whole mean.

The mean is smoothed out and even if it appears that the coastal precip is large and over our area, it's not entirely true.

The one thing that is consistent with the euro ensemble mean is the position of the closed H5 low. It's been persistently further north then all the guidance. If true, that would allow the secondary coastal to form further north and further west. But again, even this feature could be skewed by a few amped up members.

The RGEM is a much better short range model than the NAM like you said. The RGEM didnt do too bad last year either IIRC

Rgem can be a little erratic as well, but overall there is no doubt it's better then the NAM. Especially inside of 24 hours.

You have to be careful with the euro ensemble mean. The individuals have a bunch of super amped members that hug the coast with a full phase and skew the whole mean.

The mean is smoothed out and even if it appears that the coastal precip is large and over our area, it's not entirely true.

The one thing that is consistent with the euro ensemble mean is the position of the closed H5 low. It's been persistently further north then all the guidance. If true, that would allow the secondary coastal to form further north and further west.

The EURO ensembles are a great tool nonetheless, but they're are just many features here that can inevitably kill the amped members. One thing that i learned last year from paul is when the EURO OP/ENS. Are in agreement its a good bet they're correct

The story of last year's patterns also. The perturbations of energy in the atmosphere seem to be keeping it so charged, it is seemingly shooting itself in the foot when attempting to consolidate the energy into one storm. You can see it on a couple of the models really attempting to dig, but then H5 turns on the jets and the energy is whisked away. Yes, this is a possibility, but yet again this is a very dynamic situation and any misinterpretation of the trough will yield the potential for the energy to consolidate.

Yes. I've been posting about that for a few days now.

It could however be overcome by a less progressive trough and stronger phasing further west. We need the 500mb low to track inland over the Mid-Atlantic coast and then south of Long Island.

Needs to be much more organized as a whole. The entire thing is disjointed all the way from the shortwave itself, to the initial lead energy, to the trof over the lakes

f84.gif

Yeah, the 500mb low detached itself from the great lakes trough is another issue  Keeps the precip shield from expanding west, even if the coastal low is deepening.

Well the chances of Saturday being a cold, rainy and potentially windy miserable day are increasing. Whatever happens we should see some precipitation. As is, the 12z GFS has 40kt+ surface winds just offshore.

Most of the forecast I get are calling for possible showers Saturday/night with light rain or even snow showers possible in the higher terrain. Temps turn cooler Saturday.

Archived