EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, December has been a complete let down, and worse, this pattern change keeps getting pushed back on the models.  It was supposed to start mid-month, then Christmas, now maybe the end of the month.  It looks to be generally normal to above most of the rest of the month aside from a few days.  So now we're talking early January. 

I've had some trouble finding a year that has had results like this.... Very cold November with above normal snow followed by one of the least snowy Decembers on record with normal to above normal temperatures. 

The closest would be 1996-97, but there were several in the list.  Only 1 winter of the 9 closest matches featured above normal snowfall (1885-1886), and that was only because of a record snowy April.  That was also only 1 of 2 total winters that were a degree or more colder than average.  The other was 1900-1901.  Incidentally, April 1901 was also snowy with the Great Snowstorm that month, but the winter overall was still a few inches below normal.

So this is looking like a really bad start if we're looking for a major turnaround the rest of the winter.  We'll see what happens, as no two winters are ever alike, but it's not looking good for my winter forecast at this point (or a lot of others, for that matter). 

And just to reiterate just how bad the snowfall up to now really is...

There have been 52 winters that featured less than 5" of seasonal snowfall by the end of December.

Of those 52 winters, only 4 of them ended up with above normal snowfall.  That means that about 93.3% of winters that featured less than 5" of snow before January 1st ended up with below normal snowfall for the season. 

So we had better hope we get another inch or 2, as chances go up pretty quickly after the 5" mark. 

never said I am a warminista. I like wintery weather, especially big storms(which requires some give and go on temps), just not the real cold stuff like last winter. 2011-12 was terrible.

I agree on the real cold stuff. Give me big dumps, but you can keep your polar vortexes confined north of here.

Hope all my ohio friends had a great Christmas eventhough it didn't feel like it. All I can say, as an avid winter lover, bring on the spring. Fed up with this zero winter already. 3 years straight we have had more than an inch on the ground in November, with a trace or nothing on Christmas. Im 31 and can only remember 3 or 4 legitimate white Christmases. But so far this winter is a bust and I'm not seeing anything worthwhile in the models either.

Sports question:

Which will happen first..

Cleveland Browns make the playoffs

or

Ohio hit with Blizzard similar to 78'

lol

Hope all my ohio friends had a great Christmas eventhough it didn't feel like it. All I can say, as an avid winter lover, bring on the spring. Fed up with this zero winter already. 3 years straight we have had more than an inch on the ground in November, with a trace or nothing on Christmas. Im 31 and can only remember 3 or 4 legitimate white Christmases. But so far this winter is a bust and I'm not seeing anything worthwhile in the models either.

Sports question:

Which will happen first..

Cleveland Browns make the playoffs

or

Ohio hit with Blizzard similar to 78'

lol

Lol. As a life long, and heavily tortured Browns fan, I don't think there's any question that a '78 style blizzard comes first. Hopefully we can right the ship in January or February.

Lol. As a life long, and heavily tortured Browns fan, I don't think there's any question that a '78 style blizzard comes first. Hopefully we can right the ship in January or February.

Agree. People wonder if they'll ever make the SB in their lifetime. I wonder if they'll make the playoffs. And yea i hope so. Had the storm in November to track but aside that there hasn't been much of anything for us in Ohio to even keep an eye on.

Agree. People wonder if they'll ever make the SB in their lifetime. I wonder if they'll make the playoffs. And yea i hope so. Had the storm in November to track but aside that there hasn't been much of anything for us in Ohio to even keep an eye on.

Looks like Jan 3 is the next one to keep an eye on. We'll see how it goes but there definitely looks like a decent storm moving through around then.

Wow this winter so far is pretty boring....and the long range is looking pretty zzzzzzzzz also....kinda early to be wishing for spring for this snow lover..BUT one can only take so much!! I know..ony 6 days into winter..but usually we have some kind of  sign of hope!!

Wow this winter so far is pretty boring....and the long range is looking pretty zzzzzzzzz also....kinda early to be wishing for spring for this snow lover..BUT one can only take so much!! I know..ony 6 days into winter..but usually we have some kind of  sign of hope!!

Might have a surprize for us monday night into tuesday. 3 members of the 21z SREF had me down for 2-3". Looks like the 0z NAM might be begining to sniff this out. Will be interesting to see if the other models at least hint at this.

Might have a surprize for us monday night into tuesday. 3 members of the 21z SREF had me down for 2-3". Looks like the 0z NAM might be begining to sniff this out. Will be interesting to see if the other models at least hint at this.

Calling for rain and maybe a backend flurry!

The euro is giving us some love next weekend. It's something to watch at least.

I didn't see this posted here yet, but NWS ILN did confirm one tornado on Christmas Eve.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH1022 AM EST FRI DEC 26 2014...BRIEF AND WEAK TORNADO NEAR LANCASTER IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY OHIOON DECEMBER 24TH 2014...LOCATION...2 MILES WNW OF LANCASTER IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY OHIODATE...DECEMBER 24, 2014ESTIMATED TIME...5:16 PM ESTMAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...70 MPHMAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...30 YARDSPATH LENGTH...0.6 MILEBEGINNING LAT/LON...39.728N/82.634WENDING LAT/LON...39.733N/82.624W* FATALITIES...0* INJURIES...0* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TOCHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWSSTORM DATA....SUMMARY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON OH SURVEYED DAMAGE NEARLANCASTER IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY OHIO ON DECEMBER 24, 2014.IN COLLABORATION WITH FAIRFIELD COUNTY EMERGENCYMANAGEMENT...ANALYSIS OF DAMAGE THAT OCCURRED IN THE VICINITY OFTHE RIVER VALLEY MALL NORTHWEST OF LANCASTER WAS LIKELY CAUSED BYA BRIEF TORNADO WEDNESDAY EVENING.DAMAGE INCLUDED A TRAVEL TRAILER TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE RIVERVALLEY MALL OFF OF FAIR AVENUE...TREE DAMAGE IN THE VICINITY OFTHE HOCKING RIVER...A PICKUP TRUCK FLIPPED ON ITS TOP IN THE RIVERVALLEY MALL PARKING LOT...NUMEROUS CARS WITH WINDOWS BLOWNOUT IN VICINITY OF THE RIVER VALLEY MALL...TREES AND LIGHT POLESBROKEN OFF...AND ROOF DAMAGE TO AN ADJACENT STORAGE BUILDING.THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WISHES TO THANK THE FAIRFIELD COUNTYEMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND LOCAL BROADCAST MEDIA FOR PHOTOGRAPHS ANDASSISTANCE IN THIS SURVEY.THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE ATWEATHER.GOV/ILN.FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTOTHE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

Archived