joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well hammering pretty nicely....ground covered and radar looks like some nice training setting up.   Time to turn in...

my final guess:

3.2" at Port Columbus

Drove through the transition from KLUK back to Madeira where I live.  Started as a mix then all snow!  Already got a dusting here.  I'm about 1/4 mile from I-71 so I am with you on being excited for a 71 bullseye for once! lol

Also, I take it your 3.2" is the real amount before the fluff that CMH will end up reporting...."3.2?  Errrr we got 4.5" LOL

That stuff out to west/southwest gonna make it here?

yea, hopefully it holds together.   On another note, as cold as we are suppose to be in the next couple days, I'm thankful for that blanket of snow over the ground.   Anything to delay frozen ground.   This snow is great....not complaining...but at some point I have about a dozen jobs that need finished up and a couple of guys that aren't ready to go into winter hours yet.  

That's the constant conflict I have.....my head saying torch and my inner child screaming SNOW!  :lol:

yea, hopefully it holds together. On another note, as cold as we are suppose to be in the next couple days, I'm thankful for that blanket of snow over the ground. Anything to delay frozen ground. This snow is great....not complaining...but at some point I have about a dozen jobs that need finished up and a couple of guys that aren't ready to go into winter hours yet.

That's the constant conflict I have.....my head saying torch and my inner child screaming SNOW! :lol:

LOL!!!

I might end up pretty close to my official Port Columbus number...although I think we exceed that here in Westerville....closing in on 4" it looks like.

Can someone post the official CMH snow total when it becomes available? Knowing them, they'll probably report like 6.4 inches or something ridiculous.

Can someone post the official CMH snow total when it becomes available? Knowing them, they'll probably report like 6.4 inches or something ridiculous.

Actually, I think, just based on reported total precip, that it'll be closer to 4".  They had 2.5" as of 6:55AM, the last time I've seen a report. 

Snowed decently here from about 10-12:30. No accumulation on campus...a couple tenths that is already melting at my apartment a little higher up. I can see white on some of the higher hills surrounding town and a few cars were driving around with an inch of snow on them. Better than nothing I suppose. Congrats to the central Ohio crew who did better!

I have to say, this has been the most impressive earliest snowfall I recall.  Now we are about to experience the most impressive, earliest cold shot.

I wasn't around in 1950 for that monster which I believe was a couple days earlier and 3 times as much.

November 1950 began on the 23rd, so it was actually several days later than this. 

These are the earliest 3"+ daily November snowfalls for Columbus.

1. 4.7" 11/2/1966

2. 3.5" 11/4/1936

3. 3.1" 11/7/1894

4. 5.0" 11/9/1913

5. 3.5" 11/16/1920

6. 3.8" 11/17/2014

6. 4.5" 11/17/1920

6. 6.0" 11/17/1891

7. 4.8" 11/18/1880

8. 4.1" 11/19/1955

9. 3.2" 11/25/1880

9. 7.5" 11/25/1950

10. 5.2" 11/26/1900

10. 3.0" 11/26/2013

11. 3.1" 11/27/1931

12. 6.2" 11/28/1958

13. 4.0" 11/29/1966

14. 4.0" 11/30/1967

14. 4.0" 11/30/1972

If we throw in October, today's snow is the 7th earliest 3"+ snow on record.

What an incredible morning for central OH in November: Temps near 10 degrees and likely not to crack 20 today and a nice snow pack on the ground. If this doesn't bode well for the upcoming winter I don't know what would.

yep.  This morning taking out the trash cans there was a snow shower, windy, mostly blue skies.  It reminded me of a late January day after a snowstorm when the flow turns nw over a fresh snow pack. 

What an incredible morning for central OH in November: Temps near 10 degrees and likely not to crack 20 today and a nice snow pack on the ground. If this doesn't bode well for the upcoming winter I don't know what would.

Today's high was 19, which is the 4th coldest November high on record and the record coldest for November 18th. The last time the high failed to reach 20 in November was 1958.  Out of the top 4, only the cold in 1880 and 1958 were accompanied by a 3"+ snow event.  1929 and 1930 were not. 

Today's high was 19, which is the 4th coldest November high on record and the record coldest for November 18th. The last time the high failed to reach 20 in November was 1958.  Out of the top 4, only the cold in 1880 and 1958 were accompanied by a 3"+ snow event.  1929 and 1930 were not. 

Thanks for the info. Out and about today the temps, snowpack, and sun angle remind me of late January ... but better since we still have the whole winter season ahead of us!

Thanks for the info. Out and about today the temps, snowpack, and sun angle remind me of late January ... but better since we still have the whole winter season ahead of us!

I had an appointment last night out west of Hilliard out in the country.  I had to put my truck in 4 wheel drive with the snow blowing and drifting over the roads....visibility was a b**ch....my truck temp read 17 degrees and I couldn't believe it was only November 17th.

No matter what kind of warm up we have this weekend into next week, I do think this extreme early shot of winter is definitely a precursor for a wild winter ahead.  Maybe not sustained cold, but probably some crazy swings, and potentially big storms.

Archived