Newest Member
    joxey
Let's post about heavy snow

TalcottWx

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

I remember ice in either late 09 or early 10 winter in southie....... I'll never forget hitting my brakes and sliding THROUGH the L Street intersection down by the L St Tavern. Being like... "WTF". Had literally never experienced ice before.

I don't recall that, unless it was maybe -FZDZ or something. Late Feb '95 had a good ice event for BOS. I had no school in that.

I think even we had ice south of BOS in that.

We had some wild obs out of that around MHT. SN to ZR to RA to TSSN.

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMHT/1994/1/17/DailyHistory.html

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMHT/1994/1/18/DailyHistory.html

Then came the brutal cold with no power. CON actually reported hours of IC. lol

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCON/1994/1/20/DailyHistory.html

I think even we had ice south of BOS in that.

I think that was Jan 4, 1994...the 1/18 event actually didn't have great CAD...there was enough for the interior for a decent period...but then it eventually went to 40s and rain...but then flashed to heavy snow overnight before ending. Flash freeze too....severe flash freeze in the 1/18/94 event. The snow was ending at daybreak but the temp went from like 32 to 0F in 12 hours, lol. That morning as the sun was climbing higher, the temp was dropping like 2-3F per hour, it was awesome.

I think that was Jan 4, 1994...the 1/18 event actually didn't have great CAD...there was enough for the interior for a decent period...but then it eventually went to 40s and rain...but then flashed to heavy snow overnight before ending. Flash freeze too....severe flash freeze in the 1/18/94 event. The snow was ending at daybreak but the temp went from like 32 to 0F in 12 hours, lol. That morning as the sun was climbing higher, the temp was dropping like 2-3F per hour, it was awesome.

The Jan 18 event was our "searchlight snow" in Gardiner, as we saw distinct vertical beams of light refracted from the spotlights on nearby buildings.  The +SN was heavily rimed despite the surface temp being about 5F.  At the same time, RKD, 35 miles to our east, had 40s, +RA, and SE gales.  The subsequent flash freeze (where temps had ever reached 32) created 4" high ice lumps on I-95 south of BGR that were so tightly bound to the tar that even a grader could not scrape them loose.  There were sections where going as slow as 15 mph was still speedy enough to rattle one's fillings loose.

The Jan 18 event was our "searchlight snow" in Gardiner, as we saw distinct vertical beams of light refracted from the spotlights on nearby buildings.  The +SN was heavily rimed despite the surface temp being about 5F.  At the same time, RKD, 35 miles to our east, had 40s, +RA, and SE gales.  The subsequent flash freeze (where temps had ever reached 32) created 4" high ice lumps on I-95 south of BGR that were so tightly bound to the tar that even a grader could not scrape them loose.  There were sections where going as slow as 15 mph was still speedy enough to rattle one's fillings loose.

We actually had a school ski trip to Mt. Snow that day (the 17th)...bus departed the school at 530am from Worcester in very light snow and it became a steady light snow by arrival time in Mt. Snow at roughly 8-830am. Snow got heavy pretty quickly during the morning...we skied in whiteout conditions for much of the afternoon. Luckily, the wind wasn't too bad.

But on the way home, we hit the changeover in NW MA around Greenfield...moderate ZR with temps in the 20s. Rt 2 was a skating rink with accidents everywhere. It took us 5 and half hours to make the trip back due to the traffic jams on Rt 2 from the accidents. It was pretty bizarre to see on a non-work day (the 17th was MLK day).

The temp spiked into the 40s shortly after we got back to halt the ongoing ice storm, but the temp spike was short-lived...by midnight, snow had begun to mix back in. I was asleep by this point, but I woke up around 4-5am to a near-whiteout outside. After staring out the window for 15-20 minutes, I went back to sleep and awoke again to clearing conditions but the temp was falling rapidly. The snow had stuck to everything as it had been pasty on changing back over, but now all the moisture was freezing solid. We were near 0F by dark later that day. One of the more impressive 30-36 hours of changing weather conditions I recall. That event in total wasn't very prolific in the snow department (we probably totaled 4-5 inches or so with icing involved), but the rapid rise and fall of temps during the storm was a fun experience.

Yeah might have been. I'd have to go back and recreate the event by memory. Was pretty cool to see the trees droop a bit.

We actually had a school ski trip to Mt. Snow that day (the 17th)...bus departed the school at 530am from Worcester in very light snow and it became a steady light snow by arrival time in Mt. Snow at roughly 8-830am. Snow got heavy pretty quickly during the morning...we skied in whiteout conditions for much of the afternoon. Luckily, the wind wasn't too bad.

But on the way home, we hit the changeover in NW MA around Greenfield...moderate ZR with temps in the 20s. Rt 2 was a skating rink with accidents everywhere. It took us 5 and half hours to make the trip back due to the traffic jams on Rt 2 from the accidents. It was pretty bizarre to see on a non-work day (the 17th was MLK day).

The temp spiked into the 40s shortly after we got back to halt the ongoing ice storm, but the temp spike was short-lived...by midnight, snow had begun to mix back in. I was asleep by this point, but I woke up around 4-5am to a near-whiteout outside. After staring out the window for 15-20 minutes, I went back to sleep and awoke again to clearing conditions but the temp was falling rapidly. The snow had stuck to everything as it had been pasty on changing back over, but now all the moisture was freezing solid. We were near 0F by dark later that day. One of the more impressive 30-36 hours of changing weather conditions I recall. That event in total wasn't very prolific in the snow department (we probably totaled 4-5 inches or so with icing involved), but the rapid rise and fall of temps during the storm was a fun experience.

We had been to Woodsville, NH that long weekend to check on the house there (my dad had passed 12/7/93 and the place stayed empty that winter), and Sunday the 16th was brually cold - windy with subzero max.  We headed east Monday afternoon in -SN but hit the thick stuff before long and had an interesting drive on Rt 219 thru the Sumner hills.  Sometime overnight the temp spiked up to 30 but was back down to about 10 at sunrise.  Measured 10" of rimey 7:1 snow plus about 0.3" of IP/ZR.  CAA kept pouring in, and on Jan. 20 Farmington set its all time record cold at -39; my Gardiner instrument among the pines only made it down to -25.

This photo is going viral on Facebook, claiming to be Buffalo. Clearly this is not Buffalo, but appears to be in an alpine area. Anyone know the source of this photo? It is one of the most incredible snow photo's I've seen.

1393554_10154948337680122_31937375922595

Austria

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/gallery/p/photo/982/nassfeld-in-feb-2014-id157733

This photo is going viral on Facebook, claiming to be Buffalo. Clearly this is not Buffalo, but appears to be in an alpine area. Anyone know the source of this photo? It is one of the most incredible snow photo's I've seen.

1393554_10154948337680122_31937375922595

That was the NNE crew get together las March at Powderfreak's place. When we have get togethers, we like to help a brother out.

I don't have any photos or radar images, but the three best snowstorms I have ever been in are January 21-23, 2005, December 26-27th 2004, and the December 20th 2010 snowstorms.  Honorable mentions are February 9th 2013, January 6th 1996, and February 7th through 18th 2003.  First of all the heaviest snow I have ever seen was the January 21-23rd 2005 blizzard, the memorable band over Taunton that dropped 8" in 75 minutes, dropped over 5"/hour over Cape Cod at the end.  Also the December 20th 2010 snowstorm brought one significant band of snow that was offshore all day and then moved through the area between 4pm and 10pm.

Archived