Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's post about heavy snow

TalcottWx

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one odd looking radar...but very cool.  Marginal temps, strong SE flow as evident by the MWN observation... where do you find this?  Does Wunderground do historical weather loops?

That was getting fairly late in the storm...probably about 90 min to 2 hours after the Cantore thundersnow live shot. The radar was starting to break up just a bit...but you can still see it was ripping over eastern half of the area (mostly rain though E of ORH).

I forget where that came from..I think it was wunderground. I had it saved on my hard drive.

WTF, what a ragged looking system lol. I know winds can be a little all over the place in the interior, but it does seem like some sort of convergence area near ORH.

Yeah I think some LL convergence def helped...but obviously that doesn't explain all of it. Maybe a gravity wave? I've never found a good explanation on why there was like 2 hours of 50 dbz snow out of that system over the interior.  And you can see it wasn't just a tiny thin band...that blob went over ORH and actually intensified just NE of ORH a bit later than that frame. That was a pretty solid swath that got 18"+ in less than 6 hours.

Yeah I think some LL convergence def helped...but obviously that doesn't explain all of it. Maybe a gravity wave? I've never found a good explanation on why there was like 2 hours of 50 dbz snow out of that system over the interior. And you can see it wasn't just a tiny thin band...that blob went over ORH and actually intensified just NE of ORH a bit later than that frame. That was a pretty solid swath that got 18"+ in less than 6 hours.

Yeah probably a gravity wave too. It does seem like these warmer moisture laden storms are the ones to produce prolific rates outside of any deformation zones . And who knows what the atmospheric profile was like. It could be conditionally unstable already without the help of anything. I wonder if the 12z OKX sounding could shed any light despite it being father SW.

Yeah probably a gravity wave too. It does seem like these warmer moisture laden storms are the ones to produce prolific rates outside of any deformation zones . And who knows what the atmospheric profile was like. It could be conditionally unstable already without the help of anything. I wonder if the 12z OKX sounding could shed any light despite it being father SW.

Of course the 12z OKX sounding that day is incomplete.

This will probably be one of those things that remains somewhat of a mystery unfortunately.

You can certainly make a strong case for enhanced heavy snow over the interior where the convergence is and the low to the south of LI starting to a nuke a bit at the last second...probably created a bit of instability too....but the final ingredient to get 50+ dbz snows is what I'll always wonder about. We'll have theories...but without more data, they will probably remain just that.

Fascinating system though. Even BOS flipped to parachutes and got 8-10" of paste (logan right on the water had closer to 7)

This will probably be one of those things that remains somewhat of a mystery unfortunately.

You can certainly make a strong case for enhanced heavy snow over the interior where the convergence is and the low to the south of LI starting to a nuke a bit at the last second...probably created a bit of instability too....but the final ingredient to get 50+ dbz snows is what I'll always wonder about. We'll have theories...but without more data, they will probably remain just that.

Fascinating system though. Even BOS flipped to parachutes and got 8-10" of paste (logan right on the water had closer to 7)

It's definitely a shame. That would have been a great case study.

That is just obscene snowfall....the quantity of dendrites pouring out of the sky is unbelievable in those shots.

That stuff vaporized too. We had like 27" that wound up condensing to 15" by later that day. Would have been some great skiing snow though.

It's funny because we had nearly the same amount in the blizzard and the blizzard looked twice as impressive... at least! It's amazing what snow consistency does to a storm's impact. 

That stuff vaporized too. We had like 27" that wound up condensing to 15" by later that day. Would have been some great skiing snow though.

It's funny because we had nearly the same amount in the blizzard and the blizzard looked twice as impressive... at least! It's amazing what snow consistency does to a storm's impact.

Yeah I was thinking that looks like fantastic skiing snow...that'd be blower over-the-head powder right there.

Was reading the Feb 2013 blizzard thread....and got to my favorite part of the storm...the final death band before it ended. Fiercest blizzard coniditions I have been in IMBY.

I only got on the northeast fringe of the CT band earlier in the storm, so while I had 3-4" per hour snows in that, it wasn't the 5-6" per hour that it was in CT and the winds were much more impressive in the latter part of the storm.

1pb142.gif

2pt9ufm.gif

Although just for kicks, here's the earlier deathband that moved in...we did snow very hard in this, but the winds didn't stack up to later in the storm as already mentioned.

2uf8xac.gif

Archived