joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's post about heavy snow

TalcottWx

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet pics...I wish I backed up my iPhone after boxing day 2010. I was in NJ at that time....under the NJ GSP superband and took some unreal pics at 3am. That's the best band I've been under in my lifetime, I missed the Nemo blizzard one, ugh.

Funny that you mentioned that. I lost my iPhone sleigh riding after BDay along with all its pics.

I want one of these high wind upslope snow events again.

November 13, 2003...damaging winds and a foot of snow in Stowe (note shed that got destroyed by wind, and large limb down).

photo_gallery_pod62.jpg

photo_gallery_pod63.jpg

Here was the forecast...love the high wind warning with the winter storm warning, and the use of "snow showers" to describe 6-12" of snow, lol.

Not often you see "Snow Showers.  Accumulation 6-10 inches" in the same forecast haha.

ZONE FORECASTS FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
427 AM EST THU NOV 13 2003

VTZ003-006-016-017-132100-
EASTERN CHITTENDEN VT-EASTERN FRANKLIN VT-LAMOILLE VT-ORLEANS VT-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT VT...RICHFORD VT...STOWE VT...
UNDERHILL VT
427 AM EST THU NOV 13 2003

...HIGH WIND WARNING TONIGHT...
...WINTER STORM WARNING TONIGHT...

.TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS...THEN SNOW OR
RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY LATE. BREEZY. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE MID
30S. SOUTH WIND 15 TO 25 MPH BECOMING WEST LATE. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT...SNOW SHOWERS...HEAVY AT TIMES. ACCUMULATION 6 TO 10
INCHES.  VERY WINDY. LOW 20 TO
25. NORTHWEST WIND 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH POSSIBLE.
CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY...SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE MORNING. ADDITIONAL
ACCUMULATION 1 TO 2 INCHES. WINDY. HIGH IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHWEST
WIND 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 60 PERCENT.

14Nov2003_snowfall.jpg

.LAMOILLE...STOWE - 3N                 17.0EDEN                       14.0STOWE VILLAGE              10.0MORRISVILLE                 9.0                    45 MPH

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably one of the most classic examples of dryslot enhanced band north of the dryslot itself.

attachicon.gifRAD_KBOXjan11_N0R_ANI.gif

Can you find the OKX radar from a few hours before... I got absolutely destroyed with a foot of snow in 3 hours under that band in Ridgefield, Ct. (5.5"/hr. for one of those)... total accumulation of 25".  It developed overhead and pivoted over WCT while missing bordering towns in NY.  I remember driving to the train station over the border where they had about 10".

One of my all time favorite storms... mesoscale FTW.

Can you find the OKX radar from a few hours before... I got absolutely destroyed with a foot of snow in 3 hours under that band in Ridgefield, Ct. (5.5"/hr. for one of those)... total accumulation of 25".  It developed overhead and pivoted over WCT while missing bordering towns in NY.  I remember driving to the train station over the border where they had about 10".

One of my all time favorite storms... mesoscale FTW.

Check out the Iowa state site. Lots of good stuff there.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/GIS/apps/rview/warnings.phtml?autopilot=0&osite=OKX&tzoff=0&layers%5B%5D=nexrad&layers%5B%5D=warnings&layers%5B%5D=cwas&layers%5B%5D=uscounties&layers%5B%5D=watches&layers%5B%5D=blank&site=OKX&tz=CDT&archive=yes&year=2011&month=1&day=12&hour=8&minute=0&warngeo=both&zoom=250&imgsize=640x480&loop=1&frames=40&interval=5&filter=0&cu=0&sortcol=fcster&sortdir=0&lsrlook=%2B&lsrwindow=0&extents=-75.36%2C38.36%2C-70.36%2C43.36

Archived