joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm September 25-26th.

IsentropicLift

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z NAM has the same issue the 0z Euro has with convective blob further east robbing us.

I have a really hard time believing that. All of the strong verticle velocity and RH fields point towards a large commadhead feature extending into NE PA and southern NY. We're dealing with a surface low pressure here, not a blob of convection. The forcing is weak so I am skeptical.

The fact that this system is so weak makes this storm more prone to error via convection. A convective blob to the east robbing us would not surprise me at all, but some of the very wet solutions also wouldn't surprise me.Just a lot of unknowns with a weak storm system with a few hybrid tropical characteristics and some convection.

I have a really hard time believing that. All of the strong verticle velocity and RH fields point towards a large commadhead feature extending into NE PA and southern NY. We're dealing with a surface low pressure here, not a blob of convection. The forcing is weak so I am skeptical.

The 12z NAM showed plenty of upper-level divergence, which in my opinion could have led to more precipitation than what was actually modeled. That being said, look at how disjointed some of it is -- there are a lot of gaps and weaknesses in it. Gonna cause a lot of forecasting headaches. The strongest frontogenic forcing and omega did shift a bit southeast this run as well.

post-73-0-01658600-1411569130_thumb.gif

My barometer is still rising from a high reading of 30.55" a few minutes ago.    This seems counter intuitive when you have a forecast of rain beginning in about 15 hours.   Any technical explanation for this?    A few days ago this HP was going to cause a right turn for this system at our latitude and then wind shear would rip the low apart to our east.   What happened?

My barometer is still rising from a high reading of 30.55" a few minutes ago.    This seems counter intuitive when you have a forecast of rain beginning in about 15 hours.   Any technical explanation for this?    A few days ago this HP was going to cause a right turn for this system at our latitude and then wind shear would rip the low apart to our east.   What happened?

If you read the NE forum a few of the mets have talked about this. The system is being pushed southeast not because of the high pressure, but as a result of a kicker disturbance that will be moving through SE Canada overnight. The WV loop shows quick flow over SE Canada currently which is going to aid in the right hard turn as well as shearing this apart some at it tries to come north.

The 12z NAM showed plenty of upper-level divergence, which in my opinion could have led to more precipitation than what was actually modeled. That being said, look at how disjointed some of it is -- there are a lot of gaps and weaknesses in it. Gonna cause a lot of forecasting headaches. The strongest frontogenic forcing and omega did shift a bit southeast this run as well.

attachicon.gif8.gif

The lower-level dynamics shifted east with the convective blob. I don't know if it's for real or not.

The low-level dymanics shifted east with the convective blob. I don't know if it's for real or not.

I'm honestly not sure either. But with a weak storm system that does not have a lot of true synoptic forcing, the chances of a convective blob at least somewhat robbing our moisture might be higher than normal. But an error back to the other way is still possible as well.

Either way, I do think there will be a heavy rain band (lift), a distinct subsidence zone, and then another area of lift further east, rather than one true consolidated area of precip. The size of the subsidence zone and where these features are is still a big question mark.

The high pressure will be shifting east as the day goes on, which will give us an onshore flow and help to initially squeeze the storm further west. The onshore flow from the high combined with the onshore flow from the low will be helping to pump in plenty of moisture in/near our area. Once the low gains enough latitude and gets closer to the high, the precip should then get shunted -- which is why a lot of New England may not see much rain at all.

I'm honestly not sure either. But with a weak storm system that does not have a lot of true synoptic forcing, the chances of a convective blob at least somewhat robbing our moisture might be higher than normal. But an error back to the other way is still possible as well.

Either way, I do think there will be a heavy rain band (lift), a distinct subsidence zone, and then another area of lift further east, rather than one true consolidated area of precip. The size of the subsidence zone and where these features are is still a big question mark.

I can see the error toward either direction as well. I'm not sure, if the models are going to properly resolve these features. It looks very messy aloft, when this system get close to us. I think we'll be nowcasting more as well.

Will the models finally get it right with forecasting these events? They've been so off lately that I honestly don't know what will happen until it starts to happen.

It's definitely getting breezy though.

The stronger high pressure to our north has been forcing rainfall a little further south and east recently

so the models see the shift  in the short term. The Islip deluge in August started out west and shifted east.

The heavy rain forecast for SNJ recently shifted east under 36 hrs.

Archived