joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm September 25-26th.

IsentropicLift

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of theta-e advection and frontogeneic forcing with pwats nearing 2.00", supports bands of heavy rain lifting northward through NYC metro area late tonight or tomorrow morning. This might be too slow on the NAM. The 6z GFS is picking up on it and is faster. We'll see if the 12z guidance holds. I suspect it will. Btw, heaviest rains likely be north of the area by tomorrow evening.

post-187-0-46258900-1411555501_thumb.gif

post-187-0-64343000-1411555544_thumb.png

post-187-0-36164500-1411555474_thumb.gif

post-187-0-03535400-1411555561_thumb.gif

Pretty good model war on the overnight runs with the RGEM and Euro east and

GFS/NAM west.

The 00z RGEM was not east.

00_054_R1_north@america_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@0

The 00z ECMWF wasn't east either, it was just weaker with everything

f48.gif

The 06z RGEM may have been a tick east but it was still a good soaking for most areas

06_054_R1_north@america_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@0

The 06z 4k NAM was still a clobbering hit with an obviously overdone but still noteworthy max of 11.5" in Dutchess County NY and 5"+ in NE NJ.

nam-hires_namer_036_850_temp_mslp_precip

The 06z GFS was a big blast

f30.gif

The 00z RGEM was not east.

The 00z ECMWF wasn't east either, it was just weaker with everything

The 06z RGEM may have been a tick east but it was still a good soaking for most areas

The 0z Euro shifted east from 12z with the heaviest rain to just SE of Long Island along with the 6z RGEM. 

That's because as the rain shield moves north the Euro splits sending a slug east and a weaker slug west into PA. It's a product of the low being sheared apart.

Watch the 12z runs of the GFS-RGEM-EURO. We'll see if the GFS moves east  with the heaviest rain and or the Euro

and RGEM hole serve or swing back west. 

Since the ensemble mean was wetter than the op and it's the driest of all the reliable guidance, we toss.

Well I don't think its a good idea to just toss unless we think it was just flat out wrong. There is still a lot that can go wrong with this type of setup. Even looking at the gfs, it gives us 1.5" of rain in under 6 hours. Obviously that would have to be from convection to get that much rain in that short an amount of time and the models have struggled with convection all summer.

This could end up a widespread 1-1.5" of rain or I could definitely see 2 areas of heavy rain and places in between getting shafted with much less.

Archived