joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most excellent; this is typically the month when it starts up.  It’s actually a rather infrequent occurrence to get through October without some accumulating snow on Mansfield:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/36096-new-england-late-august-discussion-banter-obs/page-15#entry1706197

Today I had to drive to BTV and back, and the clouds were on the increase but no visible showers or virga apparent...however, literally as I was passing your spot near I-89 there was a brief burst of fat drops. Lasted all of 5-10 seconds and was gone, but I had to laugh that the only spot where something was coming out of the sky was within a quarter mile of your location.

The JSpin spine axis precip corridor.

Graupel or small hail mixed with rain...45F.

Solid squall with 30mph or more gusts.

This was the cell that produced something frozen...man can't wait for winter when these little shortwaves roll through with brief 1"/hr squalls, then clear, then you get another squall, repeat until you get to 2-3" and the mountain gets 6".

Some weenie observations...getting ready for winter meso-scale...but Froude numbers have been over 1 today with the fast flow, and the heaviest precip is getting deposited on the eastern slopes.  In December with a cold profile and the upslope ratios, probably could've pulled 2-3" of snow today here.  The local station is showing 0.08" liquid, and my Stratus Rain Gauge is showing exactly a tenth of an inch. 

Not much by any means, but can get back into the swing of looking at those little meso-scale details of which side of the mountain will get the most, lol.

Today I had to drive to BTV and back, and the clouds were on the increase but no visible showers or virga apparent...however, literally as I was passing your spot near I-89 there was a brief burst of fat drops. Lasted all of 5-10 seconds and was gone, but I had to laugh that the only spot where something was coming out of the sky was within a quarter mile of your location.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The JSpin spine axis precip corridor.

Ha, love it! – It’s that stuff that gives us those daily snowfalls in the winter.  We’ve definitely been getting what feels like mountain-induced clouds and precipitation this past week – I was able to mow a section of the lawn with the bagger to take care of some leaves on Monday, and was hoping to get in additional sessions this week, but the afternoons/evenings have been wet since.  It’s been feeling much more like a winter-style pattern lately.  I’ve seen the appearance of that “upslope precipitation” look with a wall, or even just a low ceiling with curtains of precipitation in front of Mansfield this week, and it’s been the first notable period of seeing that this fall season.

Now the question is how high do we go Tuesday/Wednesday?

MEX has 68F/70F at BTV while Euro has 82F/77F. 925mb temps range from 13C-18C based on the model so low/mid 70's look like a good bet with a ceiling (kinda out there, we'd need full sunshine and have to be well-mixed) of about 80F.

Archived