Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok what looked like a significant warm period running through MLK for a week or so has morphed into nothing more than a couple mild days between cold shots of say +5. But the pattern is still an awful one as indicated by todays ECM with 2 more cold rains around days 5 and 8

This winter is getting old fast. Much rather have a +2F January with 10" snow over -2F with cold rain and 2-3" yuck

This early January pattern has absolutely sucked, really winter overall has really sucked for the lower burbs/central jersey, save for that mild week in decemeber. Cold as all hell but dry then quick 1-2 day warm up for the rain storm then back to cold and dry. If it isn't going to snow then bring on the torch.

Banter has turned into the winter rant

Hope we cash in soon but yea, pitchers and catchers report in about 4 weeks.

Still plenty of time for everyone

I too experience the frustration/disappointment over the lack of snow, and this winter has been challenging so far. We get those around here.

But I'm going down with the ship. The next accumulating snowfall we get, significant or otherwise, I'm all in. I can wait until mid to late March, even April, for spring. March will have enough spring-like days to get outside and do stuff. Last March we started our spring cleanup here while 2/3 of the lawn still had snow on it.

And lest we forget, with the talk of spring training, this is from last year (for the Phillies):

"The first workout for pitchers and catchers is scheduled on Thursday, February 13, 2014".

I too experience the frustration/disappointment over the lack of snow, and this winter has been challenging so far.

I'm not a snow lover per se, but can you imagine what it was like for us northern folks in those years that you guys were getting slammed while we were getting fringed with 1-2 inch type events? At least this winter we're pretty much all on the same playing field.

I'm not a snow lover per se, but can you imagine what it was like for us northern folks in those years that you guys were getting slammed while we were getting fringed with 1-2 inch type events? At least this winter we're pretty much all on the same playing field.

Yes I can imagine, it sucks, lol. A second hand "snow high" only goes so far. The distribution of snow(or lack thereof) this winter has very fair and equitable to this point, as far as I know anyway.

Yes I can imagine, it sucks, lol. A second hand "snow high" only goes so far. The distribution of snow(or lack thereof) this winter has very fair and equitable to this point, as far as I know anyway.

Not entirely true for all. I hover around climo imby to date :)

Yet the cold rains and day 7 digital snows have worn on me.

Not entirely true for all. I hover around climo imby to date :)

Yet the cold rains and day 7 digital snows have worn on me.

I knew you and the Chester County peeps have been doing pretty well, all things considered. Here I'm not that far behind climo actually, estimating about 2 or 3" behind.

But we've had to work hard for our snow this winter. Biggest snow here so far was the clipper last week, 2.4".

Btw, is there a way to get "normal" snowfall for a specific geographic location? I just used normal for PHL (which for season to date would be 6.0") and added 50%, based on experience in NW and Western Delaware County. It might be less, like PHL plus 40%, I'm not sure.

I knew you and the Chester County peeps have been doing pretty well, all things considered. Here I'm not that far behind climo actually, estimating about 2 or 3" behind.

But we've had to work hard for our snow this winter. Biggest snow here so far was the clipper last week, 2.4".

Btw, is there a way to get "normal" snowfall for a specific geographic location? I just used normal for PHL (which for season to date would be 6.0") and added 50%, based on experience in NW and Western Delaware County. It might be less, like PHL plus 40%, I'm not sure.

If anybody would know it would be Ray, haven't yet seen a source of snow norms for regions outside the major cities. Always reasoned normal for my area is 30-32" and once saw it listed from a semi dependable source as 31" from that i deduce 1" 5" 10" 10" 4" 1" for smoothed out averages Nov-April

Breaking it down further one familiar with our winters knows first half January averages more snow than second half so i get 4" first half 6" for the second. Ergo i get my 10" normal to date and to take it further just doesn't sound right that I am having a 20% above normal snowfall winter but it's true :lol:  clearly spoiled from the new snowy climate

Using 31 year average for Chester County above 650 ft (combination of Coatesville 2 SW and East Nantmeal)

Average Snowfall for Chester County thru today is 10.5" so far this year we are at 13.0"

Normal average snowfall is 35.4"

Using 31 year average for Chester County above 650 ft (combination of Coatesville 2 SW and East Nantmeal)

Average Snowfall for Chester County thru today is 10.5" so far this year we are at 13.0"

Normal average snowfall is 35.4"

A whole different story in the city -- 1.6" against a normal of 6.0". Over 20" as of this date last year. I'm at 10.3", so right at normal.

Yep - this is much more typical of the winters of my youth in NE Philly....always seemed to be very little snow in the city before February with lots of little mix events with more N and W before then 

A whole different story in the city -- 1.6" against a normal of 6.0". Over 20" as of this date last year. I'm at 10.3", so right at normal.

Worst winter I can remember in a long time. There have been some duds but this one takes the cake for me.

With that said I am punting on winter 2014-15. There just is no way we can muster a substantial snowstorm in this pattern. We need an Archambeault event ideally to flip the nao into a better phase. We have had perfect tracks and still cant get a storm to produce. The sick part is that I said this 6 weeks ago....the fantasy storm is a mirage this winter and always 7 days away. The writing is on the wall.

If there are any threats you bet I will be here but with nothing on the horizon, im out for now.

Peace

Archived