joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes to all.  I do a variety of things (no one at any ski area just does one job, haha) from Snow Reporting, weather observations and forecasting for mtn ops consulting, social media supervisor, staff photographer (just means a photographer on the payroll), things like that.   

If you want to put a face to the name... Meadhead Films and Ski the East produced this video of what my mornings are usually like.

http://www.skitheeast.net/the-snow-report-art-and-science/

That's a great piece!  I don't ski much these days... too many creaky joints at age 62 and I'm in Southern Mass these days as opposed to working in Manchester NH years ago, when I'd ski 30 - 40 days a season.  When I do head north Bretton Woods is more my speed these days. I've always loved Mt Mansfield and Stowe in general. Great mountain and tremendous ski town (spent my honeymoon there!)

Arriving in Stowe from South Florida next Thursday...should be interesting, leaving the 70s and heading right into the teeth of a an arctic outbreak..looking forward to it.  Was in Stowe two years ago over new years; skied smugglers new years day, high around zero.  Snowed about everyday...hoping there is enough moisture to keep the powder going after the front goes through next thursday.

We had a front go through yesterday, had a tornado in boca raton.  Exciting times in the eastern half of the country with such a progressive pattern in place and looking like it will continue for at least the next two weeks. 

my trip to sowe looking better by the day, long duration event before arrival to increase powder...arctic blast on friday followed by a gfs model storm next sunday...gfs is always sketchy but it has to get a win at some point..fingers crossed...progressive setup to the max

we have been getting hit with fronts every few days in sofla in what should be a very benign time of the year

Sunday River was excellent yesterday. Everything open and actualy still a decent amount of untracked powder in the JorDan Bowl/Oz glades areas.

Some of the very steepest pitches had an ice patch or two...like I encountered one on White Heat...but for the most part it was just excellent packed powder on those steeps.

Our mystery bus trip took us to Bromley. What a great day of skiing. They got a good dumping on Thur and the glades still had 2' stashes everywhere. Absolutely phenomenal conditions right now. Bromley is a hidden gem no crowds, with decent terrain for all levels. I hadn't been there since 97 it hasn't changed much except for the gladed trails. Great time had by all.

I hit Smuggs today and had a blast! I skied until I was exhausted and did 13 runs with nearly 24,0

00 vertical feet, 23.9 miles of total distance, max speed 51.3 mph. I need to get a bash badge for there next season.

session_sheet_1173003.jpg?h=7d93f67e10410252_10102433993195039_4209541499966

Cool, my top speed was 51.4 yesterday. What app is that you have? I use Alpine Replay I don't care for it that much.

Great day up at Loon yesterday, 100% open including trees and off-map stuff also. Was crazy busy as one would expect, but even with the crowds Loon is great if you know where to go(Basically, go high and stay high on the North Peak/South Peak lifts and you'll basically never hit a line). They haven't been getting the upslope fluff recently that the greens/adks have gotten so deep pow turns aren't in play except in the woods where it's untouched, but wall to wall deep packed powder is the rule. Lots of fun terrain there for getting maximum speed and some of their glades are pretty sweet also(Especially those that aren't on the map...). 

Need to try to make it up to the Greens/ADKs soon though as they're getting absolutely croaked up there. 

Spent 2 hours at Wachusett this morning. Drive in was interesting but got a goo parking spot.

No crowd at first. Found a little chute that leads off Mass Pike to the top of Piece of Cake. The lift for that trail was not running so there was some nice powder. A bunch of the trails were not groomed, which was nice.

4254F124-837D-423E-9A72-1EFD38FBEA0B.jpg

A013F46D-03F6-43E4-9A5F-D61580C7320B.jpg

7E8BA192-F2F4-4F7F-9885-9F4891C586CC.jpg

A326173C-A5B6-48FB-8CCB-F9547251703D.jpg

Nice Dave!

And I second the Bromley comments above. I skied there a lot in high school and that place has a good set up with just one top-to-bottom high speed Quad that accesses pretty much the whole mountain, for like 1600-1700 vertical in a matter of minutes.

The glades are really good there too and usually have some surprising expert choices.

On Lake Tahoe I think this is their 4th consecutive bad season.

My friend who used to work at Snowbird, Utah said they have had 3 consecutive mediocre-poor seasons.

Crazy to see brown patches at Squaw Valley-Alpine in February. Last year was even worse as there were exposed rocks on major ski trails in the high Sierra!

That ridge out west is powerful and seems to be expanding. Salt Lake City is expecting highs in the 60s for the next week, and snow levels in the Sierra have been near 8000'. Just not their year. El Nino never really got going, which probably cost California a lot of snow. The drought may be part of a long-term phenomenon as well.

Sunday River was excellent yesterday. Everything open and actualy still a decent amount of untracked powder in the JorDan Bowl/Oz glades areas.

Some of the very steepest pitches had an ice patch or two...like I encountered one on White Heat...but for the most part it was just excellent packed powder on those steeps.

sweet, White Heat gets wind blown, did Meghan do it?

sweet, White Heat gets wind blown, did Meghan do it?

Lol...Megan is still working on North Peak...I did the Oz Glades and Whitecap while she was taking lessons.

Overall it was amazing though. Oz was particularly awesome...just a lot of champagne powder on top of the bumps there and several deeper untracked stashes in the more heavily wooded glades. I was surprised at how many spots on that peak weren't tracked from the snow they got 2 days earlier.

I did Ridge Run a bunch of times with Megan...quite possibly one of my favorite green trails. Very peaceful trhough the woods. Can't wait to get back there probably sometime in March.

Lol...Megan is still working on North Peak...I did the Oz Glades and Whitecap while she was taking lessons.

Overall it was amazing though. Oz was particularly awesome...just a lot of champagne powder on top of the bumps there and several deeper untracked stashes in the more heavily wooded glades. I was surprised at how many spots on that peak weren't tracked from the snow they got 2 days earlier.

I did Ridge Run a bunch of times with Megan...quite possibly one of my favorite green trails. Very peaceful trhough the woods. Can't wait to get back there probably sometime in March.

absolutely love ridge run, we go there for breaks. Those south ridge condos look great deep in snow, nice weenie spot tucked under there

I was actually surprised to find a couple of icy patches on some of the "steeps" at WaWa this morning. Wind ftl I guess.

Still, the skiing has been so good these last few weeks. You getting north anytime soon?

Hopefully, been dealing with more than I ever imagined but thats another story. I am freeing up time now , about the time I kick it into gear as I like the higher sun and midweek less crowded days. I'll get my share in in due time.

absolutely love ridge run, we go there for breaks. Those south ridge condos look great deep in snow, nice weenie spot tucked under there

Yeah, definitely lol. The snowpack up there wasn't as deep as last March when I went up on the 22nd-23rd-24th, but that was like a 4-5 foot pack on the level, so not exactly easy to beat. Hell, you were up there right before me and got that icing on the cake 12-14" that week on top of an already 40"+ depth. :lol:

But they probably had a good 30 on the ground at base level around 900-1000 feet yesterday. The higher areas in Oz glades and Jordan Bowl obviously had quite a bit more.

Anyone have any experience with the February vacation week crowds at places like stowe and sugarbush? What are the midweek crowds like? Certainly it should still be Less crowded than your average Saturday right? Thanks.

I'm heading to Stowe Thursday and hotels are sold out..its a holiday weekend it will be crowded but arctic blast will temper the crowds

The weekdays during Feb break are not too bad. The weekends are brutal.

Were going up to Kmart for Tuesday-Friday of next week. My previous experience is that we see crowds like a non-holiday weekend. Maybe a bit less. Certainly much higher than the average weekday though.

Turns out they had a lot of snow in N VT this week. Who knew? ;)

Awesome day

It's getting picked up more and more now in the ski media...just realizing that 90" has fallen in 30 days.

This stuff is awesome. New England currently and for the past month has had the best powder skiing in the Country.

http://www.skitheeast.net/nation-copes-with-eastern-powder-domination/

Vermont having the best powder skiing in recent memory...this is an awesome vid from Stowe/Smugglers Notch. This is why we ski here.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/02/more-proof-that-vermont-is-going-off

Archived