joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just gonna pump Crotched Mountain's tires for a moment...best customer service ever! after my boot buying debacle, I ended up returning the new boots and buying back my old boots. However, my bindings had already be readjusted to my new boots, and there was no way I spending any more time or money having the Ski Loft adjust my binding back to my old boots. I went to Crotched Mountain yesterday to ski, hoping that it would be super simple for them to adjust my bindings. Of course, I don't have the easily adjustable bindings, and they didn't have the jigs...but the gentleman working the tuning counter set me up with rental skis with demo bindings to fit my boots...and he did it all for free and I didn't have to wait in line...I was so happy to finally get treated with respect and kindness, I almost cried...but I didn't...I did however ask permission to give him a hug, which he accepted!!!

Basically, at $15, people don't have much to lose if their pass gets yanked, so they're more apt to do stupid sh!t.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it was a straight $15 ticket, and even though it was billed as a family night, anybody could buy any quantity, even just 1 ticket. ... so what was happening was a ton of unsupervised punk kids would show up, get wasted on outside alcohol, and generally wreak havoc on the the mountain, the staff, the property, and their customers. It was building for a while and just finally became to much this past Thursday.

Now, I know that I don't have the world's best brain/mouth filter, especially when I'm pissed. ... but I find it very unprofessional that they would do what they did by cancelling it in a very unprofessionally sounding Facebook post, making the comment replies that they did, and then going back to their old policies based on customer feedback.

To me, they should have anticipated the negative reaction and actively searched for a better solution to their problem. I'm afraid that potential customers heard the cancelation of the deal through the grapevine, but will never hear that it was reversed. ... These customers could be lost forever!

Of course, I'm venting because these PR gaffes are something that I'd never do, and when I was looking for a marketing job with them.... Well let's just say that i didn't get it.

Thats a shame, and yeah that sounds about right.  Usually drugs or alcohol are involved with unsupervised kids in those type of cheap night-skiing spots.  

And yes, from a PR standpoint, that post was not what they should've done.  Someone was speaking out of frustration with that post and not thinking clearly.  

Often times the less information the better in marketing communications.

That's gotta be a record. Even in their bad years, they usually have at least 80-100" by now. Tho the squaw valley base is probably one of the worst spots for snow out of all the big resorts there. I wonder what alpine next door has 1000 feet higher.

That's gotta be a record. Even in their bad years, they usually have at least 80-100" by now. Tho the squaw valley base is probably one of the worst spots for snow out of all the big resorts there. I wonder what alpine next door has 1000 feet higher.

Yeah Alpine is showing 48" cumulative at their base.

Base cam there looks pretty bleak for early February...actually downright horrific.

Was at Squaw and Alpine (since the merger the locals call it Squaw Pine) quite a bit in the mid 90s... if Scooter's regression to the mean happens one of these days it'll be time to go back.

Meanwhile though the $20 Pats win deal yesterday was out of this world good with 14+ and air to be had all over the place. Wasn't pining for Granite Chief.

Yeah that is brutal for Alpine in early Feb...the only other year that was maybe as bad is 1976-1977...just epic horrific year out there.

Just think the Boston suburbs now have more snow on the ground than the upper elevation snow plots in the Sierra. They will have some water issues this summer unless something big changes.

Was at Squaw and Alpine (since the merger the locals call it Squaw Pine) quite a bit in the mid 90s... if Scooter's regression to the mean happens one of these days it'll be time to go back.

Meanwhile though the $20 Pats win deal yesterday was out of this world good with 14+ and air to be had all over the place. Wasn't pining for Granite Chief.

The EPO/PNA ridge on steroids has killed them...often in a Nino, you'll get an undercutting STJ underneath the PNA ridge, but this Nino never got off the ground enough for that it seems. Kind of an unlucky break for them...usually even in a weak Nino, they'll get their periods of epic snows, but this year it hasn't happened. I'm sure they'll go nuts for a period, but it's probably too little too late to save the meat of their season.

I was there a ton in the 1990s too and even their crap years I remember there being like 10 feet of snowpack at the base of alpine in February.

Interesting report on VT ski resort state land leases from the State Auditor's office.  http://auditor.vermont.gov/reports/other/ski_leases

It is an interesting audit and I've seen this stuff now pretty much all over the US with ski areas on state or federal land.  They are dealing with it out west on most of those resorts in Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Montana that are on Federal lands.  When the ski industry was just starting up back in the 1930s-1950s, the U.S. government made a ton of long-term 100 year leases to promote recreation and tourism in these areas that lacked industry...sort of as a way to get people into the mountains and boost local economy. 

However, 100-year leases are pretty aggressive in that back then when they were made, no one had ever heard of a microwave and the radio was still the prime mode of entertainment.  No one could fathom the changes that would come in those 100 years...heck for all they knew, this skiing thing could be dead by 1970, haha.  Like that report says, a lot of the leases say something to the effect of you pay a percentage of direct revenue, like lift tickets.  Things like proceeds from a Waterpark or Mountain Biking or Ziplining, real estate, etc are sometimes left out because of wording in the leases made 70 years ago.

Whats going to happen is a LOT of state and federal leases are going to come up for renewal in the next 30 years across the United States from the Sierra to Maine and everywhere between, and it will be interesting to see how the Government approaches it. 

I don't know too many specifics, but just remember talking about this a lot in a Recreation Management on Public Lands course back when I was at UVM.  However the ski industry is just one of many the U.S. Government made these long term leases with and is now realizing they are outdated.  A lot of the Forestry industry, Ranchers, large private farms, and other private companies using public land leases have the same thing going on.... the U.S. Government handed out a lot of long-term sweet deals back in the 1930s-1950s.  Pretty much anyone that wanted to do something on public land could get a lease back then.

Anyway, the skiing is pretty nuts out there.  Picked up another 2-3" this morning on Mansfield.

These were from yesterday...

10678814_10102126747667490_3257094356923

10574373_10102126747587650_3722514128803

Here's a shot from Patrick Olszewski in the Smugglers Notch backcountry...

10947326_10153711800900656_5104030117792

Dalton Harben photo... somewhere near Smugglers Notch I think.

10959766_10204985700115377_5688983140787

Here's one from social media I thought was cool.  Nathanael Asaro took this photo, dropping into some sand or gravel pits somewhere in northern VT. 

10629748_10152984484006049_6786109738593

Anyway, the skiing is pretty nuts out there.  Picked up another 2-3" this morning on Mansfield.

These were from yesterday...

10678814_10102126747667490_3257094356923

10574373_10102126747587650_3722514128803

Here's a shot from Patrick Olszewski in the Smugglers Notch backcountry...

10947326_10153711800900656_5104030117792

Dalton Harben photo... somewhere near Smugglers Notch I think.

10959766_10204985700115377_5688983140787

Here's one from social media I thought was cool.  Nathanael Asaro took this photo, dropping into some sand or gravel pits somewhere in northern VT. 

10629748_10152984484006049_6786109738593

sweet pics PF that's stuff you see out West but it's right in out back yard. 

Was Devils Fiddle open? 

They've been reporting all 155 trails open for several days. So I'd assume it was.

Devils is still all natural snow, right?

I am going up to KMart in 2 weeks but haven't skied there in mid-winter in over a decade...I did do a fun November trip this year the Saturday after T-day, but only about 40% of the mountain was open (which was great for November).

Doing a quick Sunday River trip this weekend...shake off the rust before going to KMart in mid-month. Havent put the skis on since the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Pretty pumped at the conditions. Things really turned around for SR all at once about 2 weeks ago.  

I was going to wait until late Feb or Mar to go to SR and just stick to VT mid-month, but didn't expect such a monster turnaround this fast.

It has to be I'd imagine with the snowpack.

That's the best trail on that mountain.  Always loved that one.

There getting a good dumping I live right on the backside of the mountain literally I can walk out my front door with my backcountry skis and hit the summit. When I left for work this morning at 8:30 I measured 7" elevation is our friend on this storm.

Doing a quick Sunday River trip this weekend...shake off the rust before going to KMart in mid-month. Havent put the skis on since the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Pretty pumped at the conditions. Things really turned around for SR all at once about 2 weeks ago.  

I was going to wait until late Feb or Mar to go to SR and just stick to VT mid-month, but didn't expect such a monster turnaround this fast.

Nice enjoy. 

I'm going on a mystery trip this weekend with the Ski Club. 90 people 2 buses only one person knows where we are going. Dr. Seuss theme. Buses are Thing#1 and Thing#2... I'm thinking Magic Mtn. The itinerary looks like a blast. Games, raffles, prizes all for $45 you can't beat that those are circa 1990 prices. 

Nice enjoy. 

I'm going on a mystery trip this weekend with the Ski Club. 90 people 2 buses only one person knows where we are going. Dr. Seuss theme. Buses are Thing#1 and Thing#2... I'm thinking Magic Mtn. The itinerary looks like a blast. Games, raffles, prizes all for $45 you can't beat that those are circa 1990 prices. 

magic mountain is awesome, except for the lifts.  But the terrain is great when snow abounds 

Archived