Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to question about extended heat in September now. It's looking less likely now for extended heat now. The main reason for this is because the amount of heatwaves that occurred at NYC in September is 10. This was since the time Central Park started observing weather back in 1871. The amount of heatwaves back in August was staggering in comparison to September (80 heatwaves). So if we are going to have any heatwaves, the remaining 14 days of month will be perfect for that. After that, it's going to be very tough. 

I'm starting to question about extended heat in September now. It's looking less likely now for extended heat now. The main reason for this is because the amount of heatwaves that occurred at NYC in September is 10. This was since the time Central Park started observing weather back in 1871. The amount of heatwaves back in August was staggering in comparison to September (80 heatwaves). So if we are going to have any heatwaves, the remaining 14 days of month will be perfect for that. After that, it's going to be very tough. 90

Yeah, my guess is that there will be no official heatwave at Central Park in 2014. The two 90 days in a row back in July

should be the max this year. The last time that I could find three 90 degree days in a row at Central Park

beginning on or after September 1st on was in 1985.

most days 90 or better for September in KNYC...

8 in 1961

7 in 1970

7 in 1983

6 in 1895

6 in 1898

5 in 1914

5 in 1915

5 in 1931

5 in 1941 plus 2 in October

4 in 1937

4 in 1942

4 in 1953

4 in 1973

3 in 2010 1993 1985 plus other years...

For some unknown reason, September is the only month of the year at NYC with no record daily highs in the 2000's so far. We have to go all the way back to 1991 for a record high.

Yeah, my guess is that there will be no official heatwave at Central Park in 2014. The two 90 days in a row back in July

should be the max this year. The last time that I could find three 90 degree days in a row at Central Park

beginning on or after September 1st on was in 1985.

When was the last year the park never experienced a heat wave?

add to that that many reporting stations - Newark being an example have not reached 90 yet this month and now we should start watching for no 90 degree readings in August 2014 - the GFS through the 25th does not reach 90 - even 2009 had a few 90 degree days in August at Newark - anyone know when the last time Newark did not reach 90 in August ?

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2014/8/2/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Looks like the chances of no 90 degree days in August at Newark and many other stations in the region are quite high now - anybody know when the last time we had no 90 degree days in August ? 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2014/8/17/MonthlyHistory.html

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kewr

Even Philly which also has a record going back to the 1870's like NYC has a lack of

September record heat for the 2000's. The Best Philly could do since 2000

was a single record high tie. The last new record high for Philly in September

was in 1998.

Even Philly which also has a record going back to the 1870's like NYC has a lack of

September record heat for the 2000's. The Best Philly could do since 2000

was a single record high tie. The last new record high for Philly in September

was in 1998.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-08-18 at 7.30.54 AM.png

For Philly lack of record heat yes however overall warmth is a completely different story, since 9/2000 the SEPT average at Philadelphia is 70.1 degrees - warmest of any SEPT period on record, approaching 2 degrees warmer than SEPT during the decade of the 80's. Three years, 2002, 2005 & 2010 are among the top 10 warmest SEPT's on record & 2007 is tied for 11th. When you hit 96 on 9/1/2010 & the record is 97 it's pretty toasty for that time of year.

For Philly lack of record heat yes however overall warmth is a completely different story, since 9/2000 the SEPT average at Philadelphia is 70.1 degrees - warmest of any SEPT period on record, approaching 2 degrees warmer than SEPT during the decade of the 80's. Three years, 2002, 2005 & 2010 are among the top 10 warmest SEPT's on record & 2007 is tied for 11th. When you hit 96 on 9/1/2010 & the record is 97 it's pretty toasty for that time of year.

Same story here. Despite the overall warmth those years, they can't touch the record heat of the earlier years.

Warmest September readings Philly:

Manhattan is a giant tarmac, so yes those stations are more representative of what millions of people actually experience. Have you ever been to New York?

None of those sites are useful for your area or a lot of Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx, where millions live.

Central Park and LGA are the most accurate for these areas.

While Central Park is useless for most of Manhattan, it's very useful for the suburban parts of NYC's boroughs.

For this year, Central Park seems VERY accurate, if you compare it to LGA. The 2 stations have similar temp stats and figures. I think the NWS tweaked the ASOS because I haven't noticed any issues at all this year so far and MANY times Central Park was the warmest station. Warmer then EWR even on several instances, over the past 45 days.

there isn't a perfect observation sight in NYC being used...either it's near tar and cement or shaded by trees...

But the majority of NYC residents live in the cement, not the trees. So places like LGA are representative of the area.

LGA came first, then the weather station. So the tarmac was always there in some fashion. As Queens built up around the airport the temps went up (this is not including general temp rises from global warming.)

NEextreme is saying the station is improperly placed, but technically it isn't because it has 100 feet of clearing and grass all around. And it still represents the majority of the people.

For me where LGA fails is at night. Because I live in a almost suburban like part of Queens my lows are practically always lower than LGA's. But for most of the city LGA is just fine. So it's representative of the majority of the people and it's properly sited as per the NWS. Central Park doesn't meet either one of those conditions.

None of those sites are useful for your area or a lot of Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx, where millions live.

While Central Park is useless for most of Manhattan, it's very useful for the suburban parts of NYC's boroughs.

For this year, Central Park seems VERY accurate, if you compare it to LGA. The 2 stations have similar temp stats and figures.

I agree, I wrote something similar in my last post.

For this year, Central Park seems VERY accurate, if you compare it to LGA. The 2 stations have similar temp stats and figures. I think the NWS tweaked the ASOS because I haven't noticed any issues at all this year so far and MANY times Central Park was the warmest station. Warmer then EWR even on several instances, over the past 45 days.

I agree that Central Park is more representative of suburban/rural nearby areas. Mentioned in a post awhile back that NYC's 38 90 degree days in 2010 was almost exactly in line with what I recorded.

The airport stations of EWR, LGA and JFK represent that vast majority of New Yorkers due to their urban residences. Those of us in more suburban areas will obviously fall short of the extreme highs, and tend to cool off more at night as well.

I think that the reason that NYC and LGA have been close this year is due to the strong

southerly flow during our warm days where the sea breeze pushed all the way to LGA.

If there was more of a SW to W flow like recent summers, LGA then would be warmer.

Archived