• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

A lot of people have been commenting on what a cool summer it has been. I just tell them this is what a normal summer feels like even though technically it has been a warmer than normal summer. Through yesterday for the season:

BDL +0.7

BDR +0.8

BOS +0.5

ORH +0.3

PVD +0.1

Most only think of it being a hot summer when you have HHH conditions for an extended period, Up here this is pretty normal temp wise outside of the amount of precip we have had this summer, If i see more then 2-3 days of 90's in summer that is a lot, This year we have none, And most years we may have one or two at the most

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people have been commenting on what a cool summer it has been. I just tell them this is what a normal summer feels like even though technically it has been a warmer than normal summer. Through yesterday for the season:

BDL +0.7

BDR +0.8

BOS +0.5

ORH +0.3

PVD +0.1

Just think what people would be saying if all those sites were like -2....like if we actually had a below normal summer.

I don't think anyone thinks it's been a cool summer. It hasn't. People are upset though that we've lost much of August to cool nights and no humidity or heat

Is this one of those cases where you use the plural (such as people, or we) and are really speaking about yourself?

Who else is saying we've lost "much of August" because of that?

Just think what people would be saying if all those sites were like -2....like if we actually had a below normal summer.

Yeah no kidding. Any time we go below 60 in the morning during the summer everyone acts as if it's so cold and unusual when climo says BDL and ORH go below 60 at night roughly half of the summer mornings with BOS and PVD doing it about one-third of summer mornings.

LOL at "losing much of August."  Unless you live in the mtns above 2k iver the last few days. Everyone I know is happy and loving August. Again, it's why we live here.

Don't know how anyone finds temps in the 70's with dews in the high 60's at night to be refreshing

The SNE sites are all -1.5 to -2 during a two week period this month that is very close to peak climo. Not sure how that means the month is lost. If the next few weeks average warm, then the month finishes close to normal just like the other two this summer. Wouldn't finishing normal be "seasons in seasons" more than anything?

BDL +0.7

BDR +0.8

BOS +0.5

ORH +0.3

PVD +0.1

Looks like seasons being seasons with the current cool spell bringing most of us closer to straight up climo.

BDL +0.7

BDR +0.8

BOS +0.5

ORH +0.3

PVD +0.1

it's all about the humidity, real feel has been cooler

It probably feels cooler than it is this summer because the period from July 15-Aug 15 was solidly below average (in the -1.5F range)...typically when we are warmest climo-wise. So that put a dent in the typical 90F+ days we try and accrue.

It's like having a cold December, and then getting torched from mid-Jan to mid-Feb...some people would feel that they "lost" the heart of winter to that torch.

These are subjective concepts obviously...the hard math says that this summer has actually been slightly above normal for temps to date. But the meat of the summer has definitely been below average.

I'm sure we'll get through it like we've had in the past. This whole notion of making up for deficits 6 months from now is silly.

We just went through a huge streak of warm months from spring 2011 until fall of 2013. We had like 2 or 3 below avg months that whole period.

Now we are coming off 6 in a row from last autumn...to finally some modestly positive departures May-Jul, then it turns cool for 3 weeks and all of the sudden were "going to pay the piper"? Lol...that logic makes no sense.

LOL at "losing much of August."  Unless you live in the mtns above 2k Over the last few days. Everyone I know is happy and loving August. Again, it's why we live here.

And even up in the mountains, no one is complaining. 

42F this morning with a breeze at the picnic tables at the start of work.

We just went through a huge streak of warm months from spring 2011 until fall of 2013. We had like 2 or 3 below avg months that whole period.

Now we are coming off 6 in a row from last autumn...to finally some modestly positive departures May-Jul, then it turns cool for 3 weeks and all of the sudden were "going to pay the piper"? Lol...that logic makes no sense.

He needs a wx shrink.

I don't understand why just because someone thinks 60's and 70's is perfect summer wx for swimming, beach etc that they think everyone feels that way. I don't expect people to think 85-93 with dews is perfect summer wx. Everyone has their own likes. But this week has been abnormal. I guess that's what folks have been trying to convey

I don't understand why just because someone thinks 60's and 70's is perfect summer wx for swimming, beach etc that they think everyone feels that way. I don't expect people to think 85-93 with dews is perfect summer wx. Everyone has their own likes. But this week has been abnormal. I guess that's what folks have been trying to convey

It's not beach wx. But we're paying the piper for earlier warm spells is one way of looking at it.

I guess this is what happens to public opinion when the last 9 summers' seasonal departures have averaged about a degree above normal at all SNE sites with some of those summers close to +3 for the trimonthly departure. This is a normal summer, or about as close to it as we've been in some time. Using 90 degree days isn't a good metric since SNE does not get very many in an average summer (BDL 12.7 for the JJA period and everyone else <10). 90-degree days so far during the summer months and the normal through this date in parenthesis:

BDL - 9 (10.5)

BOS - 4 (7.9)

ORH - 0 (1.5)

PVD - 3 (6.9)

well the message today has been people are saying it's perfect for summertime activities such as swimming. Why do I need a shrink because I want it hot and humid in summer when it s supposed to be?

That message was describing the overall wx up until now. You expect every day to be a beach day?  :lol:

Archived