• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

I would say that high temperatures that occur just after midnight are much less frequent than low temperatures that occur just before midnight.

I have a personal weather station and can easily tally up my stats for the year. I had 61 days this year where the low temperature was recorded prior to midnight. Conversely there only 28 days where I had a high temperature that occurred just after midnight.

I know a lot on this board like to moan over the midnight highs, but rarely a peep over the much more common low before midnight that has pretty much the same effect on a day's weather stats.

I'm curious what this ratio is at DTW? It might not be as even as you think.

Very interesting...not sure how I would tally it for DTW.

I guess my main point is, as long as its consistent (ie its been done that way since 1874...the high and the low for the calendar day).

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That I am nwburbschaser. This summer has been the best I've experienced since 2010 (a warm, active summer is about equal to a cool, moderately active summer in my book).

This is more typical of a Thunder Bay, Ontario summer than SE Michigan. Its been wonderful.

Rainwise, it seems to be all or nothing around here the last few years.  I got record rainfall in June with over 14 inches.  After another good rain event in early July the faucet has been shut off.  After two completely dry weeks today had looked like a good shot at moderate to heavy rain, but I only managed 0.49".  The next 7-10+ days look very dry again so July will finish below normal.  At least this year is heat-free.  The excitement of endless early summer storms may be gone, but the long stretch of pleasant weather is certainly an acceptable replacement.

gonna be a good call

It was an easy call, except for last night, this morning, as the models showed some better precip in NE Illinois, but today's action was always progged south of the majority of the Chicago metro, and who knows about tomorrow, that may fizzle into barely even a shower itself.

Just did some quick research, and Milwaukee has not had a July low average of below 60F in the last 16 years, I'll look further to see how long it's been. With six days to go, we're sitting at 59.6F for our average low, very good chance we can accomplish it.  In today's day and age of the high minimums, that's pretty impressive.

Been a cloudy, but muggy day here.  Had a few sprinkles a little while ago.  Not really expecting much here.  May get grazed by something later, but looks like things are gonna want to plow south towards the better instability.  Complex organizing in NE probably gonna plow southeast into MO, and then turn more left as mature mesovorts start pulling them a bit more towards the north. 

Been a cloudy, but muggy day here.  Had a few sprinkles a little while ago.  Not really expecting much here.  May get grazed by something later, but looks like things are gonna want to plow south towards the better instability.  Complex organizing in NE probably gonna plow southeast into MO, and then turn more left as mature mesovorts start pulling them a bit more towards the north. 

Lmao!  Or not. 

Hit 80 degrees today. One of the more humid days of the week. Last 10 days has averaged 77.1°. About 3° below normal for the time span.

Hopefully the area will get some rain again. Starting to water the small plants outside now. 1.08" of rain month to date.

Today is more clear/sunny than yesterday. Few fairweather cumulus appearing as we approach noon.

Dewpoint starting to drop off slightly as it heats up.

Straight N wind down the lake by 0z tonight.

wind12.gif

Temps for Detroit look like they will overachieve a bit.

Possibly highs in the mid-upper 80s before convection arrives...

Already 84*F at DTW and 83*F at DET, with 850mb temps of 16*C to 17*C.

86*F at DTW as of 4 PM.

Debris clouds from the convection are moving in now...

Absolutely phenomenal out there today.  Fresh northwest breeze, low humidity, puffy clouds whizzing by, and temps in the upper 70s.  Just about everyone is outside doing something today.

Definite A+ vino bucket & rocking chair south side sunday at our house

Archived