joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 3rd-6th Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild day today, check this out! Another warning for me and look at this speed!!

UNTIL 1045 PM CDT

* AT 956 PM CDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE
EXTENDING FROM WOLBACH TO NEAR ST. LIBORY...MOVING EAST AT 85 MPH.

HAZARD...TENNIS BALL SIZE HAIL AND 70 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...PEOPLE AND ANIMALS OUTDOORS WILL BE INJURED. EXPECT HAIL
DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES. EXPECT
CONSIDERABLE TREE DAMAGE. WIND DAMAGE IS ALSO LIKELY TO
MOBILE HOMES...ROOFS AND OUTBUILDINGS.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
CENTRAL CITY...FULLERTON...STROMSBURG...OSCEOLA...SHELBY...
PALMER...CLARKS...SILVER CREEK...POLK...HORDVILLE AND ARCHER.

That storm may have had a TDS about 5 minutes ago. The CC was showing blue (don't remember the exact amt.) in the same location as the couplet.

I wouldn't doubt it.  It had a solid velocity couplet for quite some time, and a bounded

weak echo region near Pawnee City and Du Bois.  It is still dangerous, with the

strongest part of the storm near Bern KS.

Some pics from tonight around Shelby. Seen some major street flooding and crazy rotation just north of town. NWS out of Hastings posted on their webpage they will be surveying possible tornado damage in 4 counties from SC Neb. 

post-4250-0-04016400-1401854537_thumb.jp

post-4250-0-50396500-1401854552_thumb.jp

post-4250-0-71183100-1401854563_thumb.jp

post-4250-0-21556800-1401854575_thumb.jp

At 1131 PM CDT, the Kansas City Airport Doppler is showing

a possible tornadic velocity signature very close to the town

of Everest KS.

The latest scan looks fairly ominous.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it just dropped a tornado.

edit:  Spotter confirmed tornado.

Watching these guys "Twisted Vortex Chasers" on TVN and they were on the CB radio looking at the hail shaft, screaming rain wrapped tornado.  I really hope this isn't the confirmed spotter report because it most certainly wasn't a tornado.  I watched them earlier get excited to be out of heavy rain and then they were wondering why hail was now falling.  Pretty comical and a guide on how not to chase imo.

Were they in a gray armored SUV?  

We saw one of those with a license plate VORTMAX.  Typically chase douches wanting to do 80 mph on a two-lane road.

Were they in a gray armored SUV?  

We saw one of those with a license plate VORTMAX.  Typically chase douches wanting to do 80 mph on a two-lane road.

Sounds about right.  I never saw the vehicle but they were calling it the "Armada" which is a type of SUV that Nissan makes.  They also repeatedly blasted pass people, making note that those people needed to get out of the way cause they were "storm chasing".  I am sorry if these guys post here but those type of antics were just uncalled for.

that radar signature near Brainard, NE. is that pure straightline gusts from hell or tornadic? I thought originally tornadic, but the next frame or two it's looking like the gust front you don't want to see. GTG was 200kts a frame or two ago (OAX radar).

attachicon.gifoax_2354z.png

That's what we saw in the field. A pretty dust tube would form for about 30 seconds. Then the whole RFD would come around and turn it into a dusty straight line wind monster. We saw the same thing on two cycles.

End of chase was cool near Nebraska City as we took I-29 back toward KC. Incredible inflow was screaming up the Interstate. LNK cell was fortunately not rooted, or it would have been ugly, but it was the coldest strong inflow we've seen. Cool side made for awesome scary looking clouds.

that radar signature near Brainard, NE. is that pure straightline gusts from hell or tornadic? I thought originally tornadic, but the next frame or two it's looking like the gust front you don't want to see. GTG was 200kts a frame or two ago (OAX radar).

attachicon.gifoax_2354z.png

Video from that timeframe on highway 15 looking west - so maybe this is about 5 to 10 minutes earlier.

Winds were blowing from east a good 20, 30 gusts higher to 35...  I only took 1 minute to look back at it, then kept going south to get ahead.  Like also reported, it was like something would try and wrap up then gust out... but definite rotation on the end there.

Archived