SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 3rd-6th Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, it will interesting to see if some of these HRRR runs verify. You get several supercells firing around 22/23z but a few runs have brought a monster via updraft hel track into nw NE west of Cherry co. 

Seems almost no one playing that area.  Think there is a window early at least for it to drop something, plus shots that are somewhat unique comparatively.  

What the...

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTH PLATTE NE  
1248 PM CDT TUE JUN 3 2014  

NEC089-103-149-031830-  
/O.CON.KLBF.SV.W.0050.000000T0000Z-140603T1830Z/  
HOLT NE-KEYA PAHA NE-ROCK NE-  

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHERN  
ROCK...SOUTHEASTERN KEYA PAHA AND WESTERN HOLT COUNTIES UNTIL 130 PM  
CDT...  

AT 1245 PM CDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE  
EXTENDING FROM 12 MILES NORTH OF STUART TO NEWPORT TO 9 MILES SOUTH  
OF NEWPORT...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 45 MPH.  

THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.  

HAZARD...100 MPH WIND GUSTS AND GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL.  

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT. WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 100 MPH WERE REPORTED  
IN NEWPORT.  

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY  
BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL  
BE DESTROYED. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO HOMES AND  
BUSINESSES. EXPECT EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES.  

This scenario somewhat reminds me of the environment around the Little Rock area back in early May was it with the strong tornadoes that formed to their North. 

Very similar environment synoptically setting up about 30 to 45 miles to the North and Northeast of Grand Island Nebraska.  Lots of surface based instability feeding into that area...potential interaction from outflow off the storms in Northern Nebraska which could enhance UVM and convergence even more, of course more than sufficient shear, and the warm front sitting just to the South.  That area looks primed and probably would be the area I would target. 

This scenario somewhat reminds me of the environment around the Little Rock area back in early May was it with the strong tornadoes that formed to their North. 

Very similar environment synoptically setting up about 30 to 45 miles to the North and Northeast of Grand Island Nebraska.  Lots of surface based instability feeding into that area...potential interaction from outflow off the storms in Northern Nebraska which could enhance UVM and convergence even more, of course more than sufficient shear, and the warm front sitting just to the South.  That area looks primed and probably would be the area I would target. 

Considering you absolutely nailed that call on 4/27, I hope people in that area who were alive at the time remember 6/3/1980.

Considering you absolutely nailed that call on 4/27, I hope people in that area who were alive at the time remember 6/3/1980.

Just a best guess at this point as these situations can be so fickle to pin down.  The warm front I would prefer to have a hair further to the North for my targeted watch area but will see if it can come North a bit more in the next hour or two.  I will say that my overall confidence is not as high as the Little Rock area event.  I could see these things congealing very quickly but we'll see.

You also have the now washed out OFB from storms this morning that is now sitting south of I-80 from HSI to north of BIE to FNB which looks to be crawling a little north now with backed winds and dews in the 70's south of it. Another play to watch further east. 

You also have the now washed out OFB from storms this morning that is now sitting south of I-80 from HSI to north of BIE to FNB which looks to be crawling a little north now with backed winds and dews in the 70's south of it. Another play to watch further east. 

Yes that OFB is definitely retreating back North and we have a very agitated CU field developing in its vicinity on satellite it would appear.  I'd think another hour or so of good heating should start to cause things to get very interesting. 

Wow impressive!

What the...

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTH PLATTE NE

NEC089-103-149-031830-

/O.CON.KLBF.SV.W.0050.000000T0000Z-140603T1830Z/

HOLT NE-KEYA PAHA NE-ROCK NE-

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHERN

ROCK...SOUTHEASTERN KEYA PAHA AND WESTERN HOLT COUNTIES UNTIL 130 PM

CDT...

AT 1245 PM CDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM 12 MILES NORTH OF STUART TO NEWPORT TO 9 MILES SOUTH

OF NEWPORT...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.

HAZARD...100 MPH WIND GUSTS AND GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT. WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 100 MPH WERE REPORTED

IN NEWPORT.

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY

BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL

BE DESTROYED. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO HOMES AND

BUSINESSES. EXPECT EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES.

Sent from my SM-G900V

The 12z god model has that western NE area pegged too, well west of the other storms. 

Looks like the watch doesn't cover that area.. could just be structure I suppose. In a year without many tornado ops I guess you go for the best one. 

Yeah that watch seems like it's for the ongoing stuff and I think we will see another red box with higher probs for further west

Yeah maybe that's it though runs thru 0z.. about when things are congealing heavily on HRRR etc and not much coverage west of the box on hi res. 

Well that didn't take long. 

Probably where I would be. 

Same, though fortunately it sounds like messier77 might have gone there and he takes great photos. Hopefully he does well out there because I'm very curious with how that pans out. 

The wording by SPC is very bullish. They definitely favor more discrete supercellular convection out there vs further east...probably why the probabilities aren't as impressive to the east. 

Archived