SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 3rd-6th Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not digging it either. Yes IF a storm stays discrete enough and IF it rides the warm front, it COULD drop a massive tornado, but would you see it? Probably not, unless you wanted to get nice and chummy with it, only to have it chew you up and spit you out like a chunk of dip. No thank you.

Yeah I agree there in general tho the upslope play has been slightly tantalizing here and there.. Perhaps similar issues since it's also near the front plus winds aren't quite as favorable. A day like today highlights a lot about what's gone wrong with the explosion of chasing. People flocking in to potentially have a low chance of seeing something in a crowded and potentially dangerous chase zone. Guess it's partly due to the slow season and who knows till it happens but still. Only half sad not to be out there for this one.

I'm preliminarily looking at the triple point in NW Nebraska today to hopefully (a) get some better structure; and (B) avoid the hordes.  

12z HRR shows 2500 J/KG SBCAPE and 50-75 kts of 0-6km shear throughout the target area.  Also pops off a nice isolated supercell with nearly maxed updraft helicity between 22Z and 1Z.

Still slightly concerned about the convective debris/high cloudiness, but hopefully it can burn off.

Thoughts?

Just becuase I made some mistakes and got hit by a tornado didn't mean I wasn't disgusted at the amount of people out chasing that day or how they were acting.. My incident was on me and my fault alone, but, lately, there have been substantial car accidents on so many chases, or just gross acts of negligence by chasers who, unlike myself, didn't learn the lessons from that day.

Just becuase I made some mistakes and got hit by a tornado didn't mean I wasn't disgusted at the amount of people out chasing that day or how they were acting.. My incident was on me and my fault alone, but, lately, there have been substantial car accidents on so many chases, or just gross acts of negligence by chasers who, unlike myself, didn't learn the lessons from that day.

Just my two cents, but maybe you should consider how your message is taken (as evident by the comments above) and reconsider trying to be a messenger.  It doesn't matter if you're justified in your message or not if people just tune it out.

I'm preliminarily looking at the triple point in NW Nebraska today to hopefully (a) get some better structure; and ( B) avoid the hordes.  

12z HRR shows 2500 J/KG SBCAPE and 50-75 kts of 0-6km shear throughout the target area.  Also pops off a nice isolated supercell with nearly maxed updraft helicity between 22Z and 1Z.

Still slightly concerned about the convective debris/high cloudiness, but hopefully it can burn off.

Thoughts?

I like this idea as well. Also, soundings out there are much better for LP beauty...areas further SE could get HP crap. 

a bit surprised there isn't a 15% TOR probability further west in central/ north-central NE... The environment there is going to be very conducive for tornadoes, plus that's essentially where initiation will occur, so storms would be discrete most likely...

There's still time for them to add in one (much like what happened on Mother's Day), although questions about storm coverage and duration of supercell storm mode remain.

There's still time for them to add in one (much like what happened on Mother's Day), although questions about storm coverage and duration of supercell storm mode remain.

yes, but as long as there is a heightened threat for a few hours, that's all that matters. The amount of conservativeness exhibited this year by them is amazing.

13Z HRRR seemed more on board with a higher tornado threat, and didn't even merge the supercells... Keeps three discrete supercells going from west-central NE all the way to AOA oax. No derecho of any type is really shown by it, except for a bow-echo that develops across central Iowa at the the very end of the run, and surges it southward.

Upgrade to high risk for winds mentioned in latest D1...

THUS...WILL MAINTAIN A RELATIVELY HIGH CONFIDENCE FORECAST IN
DERECHO EVOLUTION ACROSS NEB/IA/MO AREA THROUGH THE LATE EVENING.
EXPECT AN INCREASING CHANCE FOR WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE
HAIL...AND A COUPLE OF POTENTIALLY STRONG TORNADOES IN THESE AREAS.
IF CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE IN THIS WIDESPREAD SEVERE WIND
SCENARIO...A HIGH RISK AREA MAY BE ADDED IN THE AFTERNOON SWODY1
UPDATE.

Archived