• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 3rd-6th Severe Thread

andyhb

The one thing this event has going for it that Mother's Day didn't is strong mid-upper level flow, which means any storm that actually does take advantage of the warm front early on could feature an incredibly violent tornado.

Was getting ready to mention this, both the GFS and NAM have a nice left entrance region of the upper jet in central NE around 18-21z tomorrow which should help spur on convective initiation/development. Storm motions should be relatively quick tomorrow for June standards, which could allow any early storms to be decently long-tracked (hopefully not along the I-80 corridor in NE).

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing this event has going for it that Mother's Day didn't is strong mid-upper level flow, which means any storm that actually does take advantage of the warm front early on could feature an incredibly violent tornado.

Yeah one thing I like about tomorrow is the stronger upper flow which will lead to better venting and hopefully not an HP. 

Still undecided if I'm chasing. 

The 12z 4km WRF aka the god model is pretty far west tomorrow, initiates that lone monster a little east of this bullseye but the main instability axis is west as well up into sw NE. 

attachicon.gifsig tor god model.gif

Saw this exchange on twitter earlier, raised an eyebrow or two: https://twitter.com/VORTEXJeff/status/473519384418594816

The WRF-NMM on the COD site is a non-operational NCEP version run specifically for the SPC. Does anyone have the updraft helicity output for the 12Z operational run? It is much further east than the SPC run and I can see that it is simulating some wicked supercells near Omaha. My normal go-to site is not updating right now. But, yeah, that 00Z run I posted earlier was showing that fat maxed out updraft helicity track near the NB/KS border.

assuming for a moment that discrete storms north of the warm front with this system go tornadic rather quickly, as most of you are saying and i agree with based off the 18z runs of the NAM, Canadian regional, and GFS, the big question for the evolving derecho from this event once the storms go linear: which path does the derecho take? does it head eventually to GRR/DTW/Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara/Buffalo/upstate NY like the operational NAM, does it head towards EVV/CVG/CHS/DC like the GFS is saying, or as the Canadian Regional is hinting at moving it towards IND/CMH/CLE/ERI-PIT/UNV-IPT/AVP-MDT/NYC-PHL?

assuming for a moment that discrete storms north of the warm front with this system go tornadic rather quickly, as most of you are saying and i agree with based off the 18z runs of the NAM, Canadian regional, and GFS, the big question for the evolving derecho from this event once the storms go linear: which path does the derecho take? does it head eventually to GRR/DTW/Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara/Buffalo/upstate NY like the operational NAM, does it head towards EVV/CVG/CHS/DC like the GFS is saying, or as the Canadian Regional is hinting at moving it towards IND/CMH/CLE/ERI-PIT/UNV-IPT/AVP-MDT/NYC-PHL?

I find it interesting that the 18z RGEM is just as far north as the NAM. If it wasn't for that, I'd be more likely to discount the NAM. We won't really have a really firm grasp on that until the setup evolves later tomorrow. 

And i was able to trade shifts with someone, So I will be out in the Field tomorrow afternoon! :)  :tomato:  :thumbsup:  but usually when someone mentions a location on something like that, the bad part of the storms miss the location (a good thing in this case) 

Triple point cell may have issues with high LCLs and or less backing of low level winds. One might consider the next cell, second from the TP, within strong shear and instability. Third cell from TP might also be a candidate. Farther east on the WF into Iowa the LLJ should not be as strong. Not much else to add to previous posts.

The NAM looks absolutely ridiculous for much of eastern Nebraska tomorrow evening. Pull up almost any parameter you like, but for the sake of not repeating a lot of the replies here, I'll pass.

Took a look at the RAP at 18hr and it's awfully far north with the warm front at 18z. Once the HRRR gets into range then we'll have a near-term model that's actually usable.

One potential play for tomorrow would be to hang in western Iowa and see if anything can pop along the warm front.  The NAM4 and HRW-ARW have blown up some big sups ahead of the main action in Nebraska on several runs in this area.  If I head out that's probably what I will do, as I won't be able to leave here until mid-morning tomorrow anyway.  The best play to be sure is somewhere out in central Nebraska, but this is a decent backup plan I guess for those of us who may be late to the show.  Worst case scenario there should be a powerhouse MCS slamming that area in the evening which should be fun.

Looks like the people in Oklahoma who have jobs are all pretty down on the event. On the Carbin comment seems you'd want to compare how long hi res models have been able to spit out parameters that high. 

Headed out in a few hours with an initial target somewhere in C. Nebraska.

Probably see you around. My area is prime central, you can navigate highway 92 pretty easily. I'm hoping warm front sets up between I-80 and there with the tail end mcs congealing over me; I need a nice soaking. Can somebody post the sim radar for tomorrow when you get a chance that would be great; I never know how to access that?!

Looks like the people in Oklahoma who have jobs are all pretty down on the event. On the Carbin comment seems you'd want to compare how long hi res models have been able to spit out parameters that high. 

The "modern" SCP has been around since what, 2004? Factor in that "high resolution" models are relatively new and the span is less than 10 years.

I'm not digging it either.  Yes IF a storm stays discrete enough and IF it rides the warm front, it COULD drop a massive tornado, but would you see it?  Probably not, unless you wanted to get nice and chummy with it, only to have it chew you up and spit you out like a chunk of dip.  No thank you.

May have spoken too soon about the RAP last night. 9z HRRR shows the warm front pushing close to the SD border. By 1pm, one lone monster cell forms near the central NE/SD border and slides into extreme northeastern NE. The warm front is roughly progged to be near a CDR-MMN-BUB-OLU line by mid-late afternoon as a few more cells fire along it toward the end of the run.

Archived