• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Members please read (regarding potential subforum split)

Hoosier

Subforums  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you open to the idea of a subforum split?

2. 2. If a subforum split occurs, which arrangement would you favor?

• Lakes (roughly I-80 north) , Ohio Valley (roughly I-80 south)
    • Eastern Midwest (OH, ne KY, e IN, most of MI), Western Midwest (everything else)
    • Chicagoland (ne IL, nw IN), Lakes/Ohio Valley (everything else)
    • Other (explain in post)
    • I voted No in question 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. If there is an inchoate problem, how is ditching the smaller, self-contained sub-regions going to solve anything?

One problem I've noticed over the last couple of years, and maybe this has come with a changing/growing membership, is a decrease in analytical posts and an increase in what I'll call "self-indulgent" posts (posting pics/local obs/trivial comments)

I'm totally guilty of this. It becomes beyond a hobby for me when I start analyzing weather and making predictions.   And I'm certianly not going to quit my job to do that.

Yeah, it's amazing how the weather from IL always stops at the state line.

Tennessee Valley sub-forum here we come!

Considering you're Chicago WX.............

Part of the reason why I stopped going to another website.  Bunch of guys from OH valley hoping they get Chicago weather, 50"+ of snow and begging for the temps to go below 35 degrees.  Enough already.  We are just not in the same damn climate.

Considering you're Chicago WX.............

Part of the reason why I stopped going to another website.  Bunch of guys from OH valley hoping they get Chicago weather, 50"+ of snow and begging for the temps to go below 35 degrees.  Enough already.  We are just not in the same damn climate.

Ok, but you threw Lafayette in there as not getting the same kind of weather. While that's technically true to an extent, when compared to Chicago, we're certainly not in the same climate as to what I consider the Ohio Valley (Evansville, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc). 

Never seems that the guys in OH valley or Lafayette on south have anything to do with the weather in MI, ,IA, IL, WI, etc...

LAF's weather is pretty similar to Chicago's just less snow in the winter due to lack of substantial lake effect and usually a touch hotter in the summer.

To even consider going back to the central forum is laughable at best but yeah i know the far away radar rope chasers and those who the need to troll have never been up for quality discussions outside of that realm so what do they care? Oh heaven forbid someone has to make a extra click to follow something happening 100s of miles away from their backyard. Ridiculous.

Never seems that the guys in OH valley or Lafayette on south have anything to do with the weather in MI, ,IA, IL, WI, etc...

Jan 5th for one says otherwise. Many storms that hit LAF also hit here or over towards Detroit. I'll give you N.IL/WI/IA/MN but that is it.

Yeah, it's amazing how the weather from IL always stops at the state line.

Tennessee Valley sub-forum here we come!

Biting my tongue about the whole thread.

Was there some sort of drama that sparked this?

I'm always open to being convinced otherwise, but looking at the proposal without any prior knowledge of what's been going on here in the last month or so, I don't see any reason to split us up even more.

Every region has whiny posters, but who's whining and who's winning just depends on the season.  You can't really split us up enough to eliminate the problem of winners and losers sharing a subforum since we don't have the number of posters that SNE/NYC/Philly/MA has.

Not so much the whiny posters ( granted i guess it plays a roll for some ) as much it is about quality which you know we lack big time in this forum ( ofcourse most of the Philly guys now post on that new Philly forum but you get the point about the quality that has been had for there )  when it does not involve severe wx. Look at the snow threat thread for tonight? Do you see any quality met input in there? Nope.. Yes it is great to discuss this stuff with other hobbyist but it would damn sure be nice to see some quality input from those in the field as well. Reasons why many of our storm threads spiral out of control.

To even consider going back to the central forum is laughable at best but yeah i know the far away radar rope chasers and those who the need to troll have never been up for quality discussions outside of that realm so what do they care? Oh heaven forbid someone has to make a extra click to follow something happening 100s of miles away from their backyard. Ridiculous.

Jan 5th for one says otherwise. Many storms that hit LAF also hit here or over towards Detroit. I'll give you N.IL/WI/IA/MN but that is it.

Not so much the whiny posters ( granted i guess it plays a roll for some ) as much it is about quality which you know we lack big time in this forum ( ofcourse most of the Philly guys now post on that new Philly forum )  when it does not involve severe wx. Look at the snow threat thread for tonight? Do you see any quality met input in there? Nope.. Yes it is great to discuss this stuff with other hobbyist but it would damn sure be nice to see some quality input from those in the field as well. Reasons why many of our storm threads spiral out of control.

Way to take a shot at everyone posting in that thread tonight, I mean honestly what is there to discuss, it is snowing people are enjoying it and posting obs. The fact that you take a shot at mets for not posting what you like is completely disingenuous. Furthermore you could easily post a question if you are looking for something specific to be discussed instead of hoping some sort of random discussion occurs.

lol wut

Way to take a shot at everyone posting in that thread tonight, I mean honestly what is there to discuss, it is snowing people are enjoying it and posting obs. The fact that you take a shot at mets for not posting what you like is completely disingenuous. Furthermore you could easily post a question if you are looking for something specific to be discussed instead of hoping some sort of random discussion occurs.

I am not knocking anyone. Just saying we are lacking some quality met input and we are. Need i link to discussions had in the New England or Mid Atlantic forum to show a example of what i am referring to?

lol wut

Says the one who said tonight would be a non event. lol

I am not knocking anyone. Just saying we are lacking some quality met input and we are. Need i link to discussions had in the New England or Mid Atlantic forum to show a example of what i am referring to?

Oh you mean you are going to link me to an area with a much higher population density and population in general, plus a location with the MA where there is a large concentration of mets in DC. Yeah, weird I wonder why there is more met input there.

Oh you mean you are going to link me to an area with a much higher population density and population in general, plus a location with the MA where there is a large concentration of mets in DC. Yeah, weird I wonder why there is more met input there.

Always an East Coast board.

Because the mets there are focused on that area and do not have to tend to the needs of other areas outside of there. Same thing with Philly ( granted as said most of these guys left for the new Philly forum ) , or even New England. People know they can come and find such discussions because of how those forums are set up which are geared for those areas. We cover way too much and i near certain it keeps many from posting and the population you mentioned backs it. What is the population of say Chicago and Indianapolis vs Baltimore/DC?

Because the mets there are focused on that area and do not have to tend to the needs of other areas outside of there. Same thing with Philly ( granted as said most of these guys left for the new Philly forum ) , or even New England. People know they can come and find such discussions because of how those forums are set up which are geared for those areas. We cover way too much and i near certain it keeps many from posting and the population you mentioned backs it. What is the population of say Chicago and Indianapolis vs Baltimore/DC?

Mid Atlantic covers more than Baltimore/DC. Either way there are way more mets there just due to the proximity of DC plus these are several mets or people who grew up on the forum and became mets over several years dating back to an eastern centric forum. So of course there will be more mets and more met input there.

I'm totally guilty of this. It becomes beyond a hobby for me when I start analyzing weather and making predictions.   And I'm certianly not going to quit my job to do that.

Kind of regret my initial post. I mean people are here to enjoy talking about the weather, and part of that is posting obs and pics. Even I get a kick out of looking at members' pics (see Geos pics in the storm thread). It really shouldn't be a zero sum game. We should be able to banter and post pics in addition to having more analytical meteorological discussion.

Mid Atlantic covers more than Baltimore/DC. Either way there are way more mets there just due to the proximity of DC plus these are several mets or people who grew up on the forum and became mets over several years dating back to an eastern centric forum. So of course there will be more mets and more met input there.

Not sure of how many have become mets there from pre eastern? Ofcourse i really did not include the dudes who work with the modeling data as that is their main game which is only natural. New York seems to have a good number of those who fall into that have graduated/become mets.  With Philly you had most of the people working at the NWS Mt Holly posting there and ofcourse others like HM but yeah he dates back to WWBB but still though. As for New England a number of them just happened to find eastern other then Will ( ORH ) and ofcourse the admin ( dendrite ) who has become a met. We have tons who work in this field just in this state alone ( private/nws etc ) but they avoid this place like the plague. With a few i know the coverage area has had a bit to do with it. There is those who just have no use for forums period. Unsure about others but i bet it has a bit to do with it ( large coverage area ) especially those from the NWS. Think those offices back east that can get reports very easy in the subforums without having to scroll through so many posts from outside their areas.

I personally preferred the whole forum before sub forums. Ofcourse my attraction to seasonal discussions ( long term be it winter or cane season ) had most to do with that. They shifted into the i-95 sub forums once they were born and others just left for good which i thought sucked.

Not so much the whiny posters ( granted i guess it plays a roll for some ) as much it is about quality which you know we lack big time in this forum ( ofcourse most of the Philly guys now post on that new Philly forum but you get the point about the quality that has been had for there )  when it does not involve severe wx. Look at the snow threat thread for tonight? Do you see any quality met input in there? Nope.. Yes it is great to discuss this stuff with other hobbyist but it would damn sure be nice to see some quality input from those in the field as well. Reasons why many of our storm threads spiral out of control.

Adding more mods and cracking down more on problem posters is more likely the solution than adding more red taggers.  If you stabilize the place, that might attract red taggers, but frankly I don't blame mets for not wanting to post here.  Philly cleaned up its act big time in the last 3-4 years so it's no surprise they have so many more mets than we do.  As someone who will in all likelihood be a red tagger about 13 months from now, it's people like you, who seem to pick fights with anyone just for the sake of arguing, who make me hesitate about posting more.

The highest report so far is 2.1" and roads are mainly just wet.  Seems like a good call to me.

And you should probably go back and check out some of the NYC model threads from the early March event.  Over a large time period, our subforum isn't all that much worse.  (I'd argue that it's slightly better, in fact.)

Adding more mods and cracking down more on problem posters is more likely the solution than adding more red taggers.  If you stabilize the place, that might attract red taggers, but frankly I don't blame mets for not wanting to post here.  Philly cleaned up its act big time in the last 3-4 years so it's no surprise they have so many more mets than we do.  As someone who will in all likelihood be a red tagger about 13 months from now, it's people like you, who seem to pick fights with anyone just for the sake of arguing, who make me hesitate about posting more.

Bingo, something I have been saying for a while that keeps falling on deaf ears and instead we have people who post absolute nonsense and add nothing to the discussion.

The highest report so far is 2.1" and roads are mainly just wet.  Seems like a good call to me.

And you should probably go back and check out some of the NYC model threads from the early March event.  Over a large time period, our subforum isn't all that much worse.  (I'd argue that it's slightly better, in fact.)

Who in here have i picked a fight with recently/this winter? Talking this forum not OT/Politics. Me and you have had our share of disagreements in those forums but i keep whatever happens over there.

As for NYC forum i have heard about it. Forky should be moderator in that forum. He probably does not want the job though. Ofcourse i did not mention them other then to say they seem to have a large number of those who have been here for a long time and became a met here.

But yeah i agree with you on the moderating stuff.

As for the other he basically suggested nothing would happen. Worse yet no reasoning to back it and the complaining because OMG it is snowing in April which is what the complaint thread i thought was for?

I'd say just leave it the way it is.  It's been like this for several years now and it's been pretty good.  Probably could use an extra mod or two just to help out, and not put all the load on Hoosier.  As far as dumping existing areas I think that's not necessary.  It's very easy to quickly skim through posts from other areas that you're not interested in reading about at the time.

Who in here have i picked a fight with recently/this winter? Talking this forum not OT/Politics. Me and you have had our share of disagreements in those forums but i keep whatever happens over there.

As for NYC forum i have heard about it. Forky should be moderator in that forum. He probably does not want the job though. Ofcourse i did not mention them other then to say they seem to have a large number of those who have been here for a long time and became a met here.

But yeah i agree with you on the moderating stuff.

As for the other he basically suggested nothing would happen. Worse yet no reasoning to back it and the complaining because OMG it is snowing in April which is what the complaint thread i thought was for?

Mostly OT/AP, although you did try to stir the pot by trying to discredit people who were (semi-correctly) calling this snowfall a non-event.

Mostly OT/AP, although you did try to stir the pot by trying to discredit people who were (semi-correctly) calling this snowfall a non-event.

0% correct ... it was definitely an event!!  It snowed and it even broke records (not just DTWs either)!

People who are not interested in an event STOP posting crap.  If you not interested just don't post ... it is that simple!  In addition we are such a large area the weather is can and will have very different results in each of our backyards.  What may turn out to be a lame event in your backyard may turn into a big event for someone else in this sub-forum. 

If anything put all the Chicago morons in their own forum. Haha the hubris reading their posts in this thread is unreal, but I love how they're making a case for IA/MO should be in this forum, of course not they're central states not Lakes states

lol...there are a lot of posters in this forum that get 8 and 10 times the snow that DC gets yet I'd put them higher on the weenie scale than the DC posters....they just don't recognize it.  It's as though getting more snow makes your posts more credible :lol: .  

It's always been an underlying theme here that the Chicago and MI posters, (in general), have a peculiar and unprovoked 'hard-on' for the Ohio crowd.  It's become expected I guess, but it's an attitude that tends to bleed a bit into the moderation end as well.   That will of course be flatly denied, but it's clearly there, although subtle.  

I like the idea of Ohio in the eastern, central PA, upstate NY, forum if we did end up splitting off.    Otherwise the sub-subthreads we've created for Ohio have served us well as.

Otherwise the sub-subthreads we've created for Ohio have served us well as. 

I agree with this.  Why not keep things a little more localized this way and when there is a region wide threat discuss it that way.  Otherwise what is good for WI and OH are clearly different, but they can be discussed and people don't have to get in a tizzy if they don't want to see it.  Personally I like being able to go one place and see what is happening in a certain region and if I don't care I don't read it.

Archived