• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Members please read (regarding potential subforum split)

Hoosier

Subforums  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you open to the idea of a subforum split?

2. 2. If a subforum split occurs, which arrangement would you favor?

• Lakes (roughly I-80 north) , Ohio Valley (roughly I-80 south)
    • Eastern Midwest (OH, ne KY, e IN, most of MI), Western Midwest (everything else)
    • Chicagoland (ne IL, nw IN), Lakes/Ohio Valley (everything else)
    • Other (explain in post)
    • I voted No in question 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a pretty dumb discussion frankly, it's subjective.

This.  I don't know why it's still going on (in this thread no less) but I'll throw in my 2 cents using Chicago and Indianapolis as examples.  For Chicago, it was the first snow greater than 1" on April 15 or later in 31 years.  For Indianapolis, it was the latest measurable snow in 13 years.  Detroit broke its all time snow record and localized areas in NW IN picked up 3-5"+.  It's not a major storm by any stretch but it's noteworthy because of the calendar. 

This.  I don't know why it's still going on (in this thread no less) but I'll throw in my 2 cents using Chicago and Indianapolis as examples.  For Chicago, it was the first snow greater than 1" on April 15 or later in 31 years.  For Indianapolis, it was the latest measurable snow in 13 years.  Detroit broke its all time snow record and localized areas in NW IN picked up 3-5"+.  It's not a major storm by any stretch but it's noteworthy because of the calendar. 

This as well, which is why I don't even get the whole point of event vs non-event other than someone trolling for no reason.

so what's the verdict, are we splitting or not?

DTW picked up 3.2", enough to beat the record by 1.3", but the immediate northern suburbs had 4-5". It was complete with a bit of blowing and drifting, just 24 hours after we had overnight temps typical of a July night. It was not your typical April slush that melts in minutes, it was a winter wonderland that stayed all day (for the most part). The snow extended into IN, OH, and IL as well. Your last line states it perfectly...not a major storm by any stretch, but very noteworthy for the calendar (and several snow records).

Holy crap. We shouldn't even need moderating.  We're supposed to be adults discussing meteorology.  Don't be blaming Hoosier for members making juvenile posts. Before anyone says anything, yes, I make a lot of juvenile posts, but they are not pointed at anyone, they are in jest.

If Hoosier did crack down, some of the same people stirring the pot would be be the ones complaining about the nazi moderator. Grow up.

This sub-forum at one point didn't need moderating but there's a few that have been allowed to constantly go around antagonizing posters they dislike and it's gotten out of hand. I don't think anyone is calling for heavy moderation, but some things should have been nipped in the bud before it became an issue.

Holy crap. We shouldn't even need moderating.  We're supposed to be adults discussing meteorology.  Don't be blaming Hoosier for members making juvenile posts. Before anyone says anything, yes, I make a lot of juvenile posts, but they are not pointed at anyone, they are in jest.

If Hoosier did crack down, some of the same people stirring the pot would be be the ones complaining about the nazi moderator. Grow up.

Hoosier's a good poster, he knows his meteorology, and he's passionate about the weather in his backyard, (which could be described as an area from Indy to Chicago).  This is why he's not a good moderator.   A good forum moderator needs to at least appear impartial to areas outside his own.    I see a lot more region impartiality out of posters like Harry, Josh, OHweather, and IWXwx.

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to have moderators from regions outside the forum they moderator.  For instance having a New England moderator in the Midwest forum.   Afterall moderating is about moderating.

This sub-forum at one point didn't need moderating but there's a few that have been allowed to constantly go around antagonizing posters they dislike and it's gotten out of hand. I don't think anyone is calling for heavy moderation, but some things should have been nipped in the bud before it became an issue.

Yes I agree. I don't anyone is calling for outright heavy moderation.

Holy crap. We shouldn't even need moderating. We're supposed to be adults discussing meteorology. Don't be blaming Hoosier for members making juvenile posts. Before anyone says anything, yes, I make a lot of juvenile posts, but they are not pointed at anyone, they are in jest.

IWXwx, none of your posts are ever confrontational or antagonistic, which is why people don't get upset about a post in jest or razzing. We all know you are kidding and do so in a mild manner.

Hoosier's a good poster, he knows his meteorology, and he's passionate about the weather in his backyard, (which could be described as an area from Indy to Chicago). This is why he's not a good moderator. A good forum moderator needs to at least appear impartial to areas outside his own. I see a lot more region impartiality out of posters like Harry, Josh, OHweather, and IWXwx.

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to have moderators from regions outside the forum they moderator. For instance having a New England moderator in the Midwest forum. Afterall moderating is about moderating.

OHweather and IWXwx would be great mods if ever the time came for a second one. I know I am a bit impartial to this but I do think if there was need for another mod that a met should be considered as well. I believe we are one of the few that do not have a met/mod.

each sub-forum has a different environment.

Not really and any moderator can easily look at a problem and see who is causing it and resolve it. Rules and guidelines are sufficient to cover anything that arises, fact is mods aren't restricted from coming into a subforum if an issue and reported posts are coming from it.

Not really and any moderator can easily look at a problem and see who is causing it and resolve it. Rules and guidelines are sufficient to cover anything that arises, fact is mods aren't restricted from coming into a subforum if an issue and reported posts are coming from it.

lol

you'd fit in perfectly on staff.

lol

you'd fit in perfectly on staff.

Why, because I want a nice forum where people aren't constantly fighting with each other? Look at the bad sub forums here, nyc/dc lots of constant fighting over mundane nonsense. The kind of nonsense like earlier in this thread. Everyone doesn't need to turn into a giant internet pissing match like the one earlier in this thread. It is pointless nonsense from both sides.

Archived