• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 29-30th moderate nor'easter

Mikehobbyst

it would be different if this thread had substance other than blanket postings of model images. nobody's talking about the mechanisms that will produce precip, no soundings, no pwat discussion, none of that

The right exit region of the 500mb/200mb jet pass just south of Long Island on the 12z GFS.

PWAT's increase to between 1.0 and 1.5 on Long Island Saturday night.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes not bitching his point is warranted. That would really make this more of an educational and constructive thread. Model runs are great as they do show the outcome but do not show the true inner workings of how it occurs besides a LP with moisture soaking our area. I agree with forky here, im trying to learn and the more i see more advanced forecasting tools and learn about them the better of i and some amatuers on here will be. Also referencing where you can find them would further add to the value of discussion

If you look in the NE forum, there's a technical thread for some of the threats...he should start that here then, most of the membership here is casual/hobbyists/weenies, you're not going to get that in 99% of the the threads.

Why would he do that if he thinks its just a boring rainstorm?

then the alternative is to do what I initially suggested, ignore the thread.   Post in another thread or somewhere else altogether.   Why should someone else be discouraged from talking about a potential rain event on a weatherboard?

12z Euro lingers rain well into Monday, especially east of NYC. 2.5-3.00" area wide. Focuses the heaviest rainfall over NNJ and New England which makes more sense. Pretty confident now on a widespread 2-3" rainfall with localized amounts 3.00"+. This model very rarely over forecasts precipitation amounts at this range.

12z Euro lingers rain well into Monday, especially east of NYC. 2.5-3.00" area wide. Focuses the heaviest rainfall over NNJ and New England which makes more sense. Pretty confident now on a widespread 2-3" rainfall with localized amounts 3.00"+. This model very rarely over forecasts precipitation amounts at this range.

It would only be the third time NYC got 2" or more of rain since last June as heavy rainstorms have been 

a novelty over the past year or so. That's a very nice closed low overruning event that the Euro is showing.

It would only be the third time NYC got 2" or more of rain since last June as heavy rainstorms have been 

a novelty over the past year or so. That's a very nice closed low overruning event that the Euro is showing.

A progressive pattern will do that. Most of what we had last summer was very convective in nature. Also, we didn't have any tropical remnants to deal with that I can think of. Large synoptic rainfall events tend to occur during the early Spring and late Fall around here.

If you are going to do PBP, then you have to recite what the model has. Not what you think it should have.

Looking at soundings, the euro is a sleet/snow mix for the COAST as the cutoff spins to the east.

Also, 2"-3" of rain is not a big story. It's a normal spring rainfall.

It's a bit more than normal rainfall but I agree that it's not anything crazy or even too notable. Once you get to 4"+ widespread than it becomes more problematic. 

If you are going to do PBP, then you have to recite what the model has. Not what you think it should have.

Looking at soundings, the euro is a sleet/snow mix for the COAST as the cutoff spins to the east.

Also, 2"-3" of rain is not a big story. It's a normal spring rainfall.

Agree to disagree, at hour 96 the surface freezing line is well upstate. Believe what you want to believe, this is as precip is shutting off. This is meteorology rather than modelology.

It's a bit more than normal rainfall but I agree that it's not anything crazy or even too notable. Once you get to 4"+ widespread than it becomes more problematic. 

I picked a location near you... People don't realize how much flooding a fast 2-3" of rain can cause on the more flashy rivers in this area.

bkwn4_hg.png

careful.  we're in a dry pattern and the Euro had a storm last October that showed several runs of 2+ and we ended up with nothing. I'd wait another day before buying into the super wet solutions 

Agree to disagree, at hour 96 the surface freezing line is well upstate. Believe what you want to believe, this is as precip is shutting off. This is meteorology rather than modelology.

Precip isn't shutting off at hour 96. At least not for the coast.

Precip isn't shutting off at hour 96. At least not for the coast.

The low is occluding by that hour, it's going to be just spotty showers by then. The smoothed out QPF fields are deceiving.

2-3" of rain may not mean anything for you since you don't live near a river.

For those that do, it's a completely different ball game.

Right now we're right on the verge between something that would cause minor nuisance flooding and something more significant.

careful.  we're in a dry pattern and the Euro had a storm last October that showed several runs of 2+ and we ended up with nothing. I'd wait another day before buying into the super wet solutions 

The fact that we've been in an overly dry pattern does cause hesitation but you have a very favorable setup here for synoptic heavy rainfall.

The heaviest rainfall will be on the nose of the 500mb jet as it passes right along the NJ shore and northward up into New England. The models are still waffling with the exact placement of this feature. The GFS/GGEM/Euro however have all shifted this slightly west so far today.

f72.gif

The low is occluding by that hour, it's going to be just spotty showers by then. The smoothed out QPF fields are deceiving.

2-3" of rain may not mean anything for you since you don't live near a river.

For those that do, it's a completely different ball game.

Right now we're right on the verge between something that would cause minor nuisance flooding and something more significant.

Flash flood guidance for much of NE PA is 2" in 12 hours.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=FFG&issuedby=PA2

2-3" of rain over a weekend won't cause any major problems here. We have been dry all month.

Archived