• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

Trend maps on this run compared to 0z and 6z are not comforting. It's a major shift away from the big hit, which for the NAM at this range (all NAM caveats aside) are a big signal. Gotta hope the 12z Goofus makes a move in the right direction, or it might be time to start tempering down the expectations in a big way.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is feel fairly good from just north of NYC and south right now I would not feel too good in places like MSV or POU however I do think this one is about 100 miles north of our arch nemesis a couple weeks ago but not much further north than that

I more or less share that thought. Although I would go with 150 miles or so north of our "arch nemesis". I think this system is stronger/more dynamic as well. The analogy will be most evident in terms of a very sharp cut-off to the north.

No one should expect more than 12" snow in a storm on St. Patrick's Day. The last warning level snow event to hit NYC this late in the season was March 19, 1992 I believe, so over 20 years now.

This is why the 12-18" ensembles of the EURO are too far fetched for me, getting a widespread 12"+ storm on st. Patty's day is going to be an EPIC accomplishment

Is feel fairly good from just north of NYC and south right now I would not feel too good in places like MSV or POU however I do think this one is about 100 miles north of our arch nemesis a couple weeks ago but not much further north than that

I hope so. Even though I was on a Bahamas cruise for last week's debacle I felt everybody's pain. Having 2/5/2010 flashbacks is never a good thing for any snow lover.

The key will be getting the lead wave to eject strong enough so that the confluence with the

PV doesn't suppress it more than the NAM is showing. Even if you cut the NAM QPF

by 50%, it's still a nice storm for this late in the season.

attachicon.giff84.gif

If you cut the NAM in half, you basically get the last 3 runs of the Euro Ensemble mean.

.50"-.60" of precip.

Trend maps on this run compared to 0z and 6z are not comforting. It's a major shift away from the big hit, which for the NAM at this range (all NAM caveats aside) are a big signal. Gotta hope the 12z Goofus makes a move in the right direction, or it might be time to start tempering down the expectations in a big way.

Only the true weenies have big expectations here. It's going to be March 17th, and the polar vortex is sitting in place again where we saw just 2 weeks ago another storm get crushed within 60 hours. I'm not harping on anything until after 0z tonight and neither should anyone else.

If you cut the NAM in half, you basically get the last 3 runs of the Euro Ensemble mean.

.50"-.60" of precip.

That's such a weenie comment. Love people always pulling that crap when in reality it was just something they heard elsewhere and ran with it. It's the 4k NAM that's historically over done.

Only the true weenies have big expectations here. It's going to be March 17th, and the polar vortex is sitting in place again where we saw just 2 weeks ago another storm get crushed within 60 hours. I'm not harping on anything until after 0z tonight and neither should anyone else.

I think your statement is a little overdone. We've seen what can happen in March (this year) and past March's have delivered the goods. In this case, the potential is there, we just need the synoptics to deliver the goods. The pattern has just sucked recently and we are hoping for a break, in this case. 

12z RGEM looks like the 6z GFS @ 54 hours to me....It is digging the energy on the back of the trough fairly south. 

Yeah RGEM burying a lot of energy. 

If the 12z models trend towards burying more energy, it might be time to put this to rest if 0z doesn't make a reversal. By 0z tonight we should have the features sampled on land. We don't want to see a sheared out mess of energy, the initial moisture slug won't be very much and the PV should have no trouble drying it up.

No one should expect more than 12" snow in a storm on St. Patrick's Day. The last warning level snow event to hit NYC this late in the season was March 19, 1992 I believe, so over 20 years now.

I'm not saying there is no use for stats like these, just that they would not be convincing enough to alter a forecast, if indeed there was consensus for a such a solution (and there by no means is). I remember many mets undercutting the output during Oct for climatological reasons and I had 15" of paste in SW Ct.

I think your statement is a little overdone. We've seen what can happen in March (this year) and past March's have delivered the goods. In this case, the potential is there, we just need the synoptics to deliver the goods. The pattern has just sucked recently and we are hoping for a break, in this case.

Jm gets a little didactic sometimes... It's a defense mechanism for living in the NYC Metro tropics. ;)

Ace would be slapping weenies left and right were he still around, that's for sure.

Be happy for climo this time because there's no way it will be as suppressed as the early March system. The PV is not as strong or as south as that time period. There will be a sharp cutoff but we should still get something.

Wait, didn't you just say it was going to be suppressed?

Told you it's going to be suppressed though probably not as bad as the early March storm.

Archived