• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's been awhile since I posted. I remember us discussing Wayne county quite well, truly another planet up there in Nepa, latitude, elevation , just a crazy micro climate there in spots. All of Nepa for that matter.

Yes, will be interesting to see what tomorrow's runs do.

Hey James.. Long time no speak.

I think NE PA, NW NJ, SE NY do well with this event.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you in BK or Dobbs for this one?

Dobbs. Makes a huge difference in this.

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's been awhile since I posted. I remember us discussing Wayne county quite well, truly another planet up there in Nepa, latitude, elevation , just a crazy micro climate there in spots. All of Nepa for that matter.

Yes, will be interesting to see what tomorrow's runs do.

Yeah Wayne County is great...but as we said in previous discussions, the winters have been pretty mediocre up there. I know my house at 1600' averages near 75" a year, but no way they've gotten that much. The last great winter for the Poconos was 06-07 in the second half, although the February 2010 stretch was great there too. Definitely been better on the coast though recently.

Dobbs. Makes a huge difference in this.

Yeah Wayne County is great...but as we said in previous discussions, the winters have been pretty mediocre up there. I know my house at 1600' averages near 75" a year, but no way they've gotten that much. The last great winter for the Poconos was 06-07 in the second half, although the February 2010 stretch was great there too. Definitely been better on the coast though recently.

Yeah, it's been a string of mediocre winters for sure. Not sure how well last winter was around those parts, but I did record 79 inches last season in my area. Although I am much further s.e and closer to the banding of some of those Nor'easter's.

Yeah, it's been a string of mediocre winters for sure. Not sure how well last winter was around those parts, but I did record 79 inches last season in my area. Although I am much further s.e and closer to the banding of some of those Nor'easter's.

I think snowfall was near average last winter....you probably did a lot better with the 1/3 storm though. My house in PA only had 3" from that one..we got just as much from the arctic front a few days early. I think the 2/13 event did some damage up there, however, and there were a lot of light snowfalls from the cold weather. That area tends to do well with arctic FROPAs and leftover lake effect...

It's been a while since the season was way above average though. I remember some insane winters like 93-94 and 02-03 up there. Haven't seen anything that's spread the wealth into the deep interior like that.

I would def be cautious along the immediate coast and in the city still. Some premature jumps on the wagon I see in that thread. That's just my opinion though.

Yes a lot of NYC residents are spiking the football because the ECM and the GFS moved east. However, the boundary layer warming is brutal on the models that are closer to the coast...thicknesses are nearly 550dam for NYC on the 0z ECM at 72 hours. There's still going to be a significant front-end dump but the warm surface that's modeled is real. The track is not ideal early in the season for the coast unless it looks like the GFS.

Binghamton just hoisted a watch for my area of Nepa and western Catskills.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

307 AM EST MON NOV 24 2014

...POTENTIAL HEAVY SNOW WEDNESDAY TO EARLY THURSDAY...

.A COASTAL STORM WILL CAUSE POTENTIALLY HEAVY SNOW TO DEVELOP

WEDNESDAY...THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...LINGERING INTO EARLY

THURSDAY MORNING. THIS MAY SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY TRAVEL.

NYZ057-062-PAZ040-048-072-250815-

/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.A.0005.141126T1200Z-141127T1200Z/

DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-NORTHERN WAYNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WALTON...DELHI...MONTICELLO...MILFORD...

HONESDALE

307 AM EST MON NOV 24 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF THE POCONOS TO WESTERN CATSKILLS.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR 7 OR MORE INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP WEDNESDAY...AND MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES

AFTERNOON THROUGH EVENING...BEFORE GRADUALLY DIMINISHING LATE

WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY THURSDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...UPPER 20S TO LOW 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTHWEST LESS THAN 10 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS...SIGNIFICANT IMPACT TO HOLIDAY TRAVEL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT BECAUSE HEAVY SNOW IS A

POSSIBILITY...BUT NOT A CERTAINTY. AT THIS TIME...THERE IS THE

POTENTIAL FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 INCHES OR MORE. TRAVEL

CONDITIONS COULD BECOME HAZARDOUS...SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO MONITOR

THE LATEST FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO TRAVEL

IN THE WATCH AREA.

&&

$$

RRM/MDP

Interesting that even the Albany AFD mentions the possibility of precipitation either starting out as rain or briefly changing over to rain. I think that slight east shift on the Euro is actually a very good thing for most of us, especially given the robust amount of moisture with the system. There does not appear to be a sharp drop-off in precipitation on the NW side of the low that we have become so used to over the past few years.

NOAA is super conservative for me says rain/snow on wed with 3-5"

I think the only reason they are mentioning accumulations already is because they pulled the trigger early on the Watch due to the holiday.  Mine says 3-5" on Wed but snow continuing Wed night but no mention of accumulations yet for then, its too early.

I think the only reason they are mentioning accumulations already is because they pulled the trigger early on the Watch due to the holiday. Mine says 3-5" on Wed but snow continuing Wed night but no mention of accumulations yet for then, its too early.

sorry I should have elaborated, my emphasis of confusion is on the rain snow mix they have me in...

Archived