gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's crazy for someone in orange, ulster, or Sullivan to jackpot at 15+ in some spots... Especially the Orange County snow belt out there in Monroe lol

this is the type of storm where the CCB in the LHV and catskills can make a run at 20"+ and also have enough instability to have thundersnow

Yeah, I think around a foot is a reasonable ceiling given "meh" ratios and the rapid movement of the storm. I would be very surprised to see anybody exceed 14"

I think it all depends on how much of the initial falls as rain or mix as well, rgem shows a few hours of mix even up here, then it will be interesting to see how the warmer waters feeding offshore will play into the banding

I was reading back in the forums to the February 13-14th storm. Man, what a wild ride that was! I mentioned this in the main thread, but the GFS precip forecast was very low in that storm as well. Different setup this time, but for that system the Euro and most of the mesoscale models had 1-2 feet of snow and the GFS had 3-6" at one point. 

I was reading back in the forums to the February 13-14th storm. Man, what a wild ride that was! I mentioned this in the main thread, but the GFS precip forecast was very low in that storm as well. Different setup this time, but for that system the Euro and most of the mesoscale models had 1-2 feet of snow and the GFS had 3-6" at one point. 

Yeah, that definitely won a spot amongst my favorite storms. It's also a good reminder of how hard it is to get much more than a foot of snow around here... even with a long-duration, two-part storm such as Feb 2014 (complete with thundersnow, an overhead closed ULL, and TROWAL enhancement) I barely broke 20". I know no two storms are ever remotely alike, but that's part of the reason why I'm cautious of the excited 15" or 20" calls on the boards for this slingshot Miller type A in November that should be over in 8-12 hours.

I don't think anyone up here should worry. GFS has been all over with this storm between position and qpf, not to mention its position of the initial wave and negative trough have varied as well... King euro baby ;)

Yeah, that definitely won a spot amongst my favorite storms. It's also a good reminder of how hard it is to get much more than a foot of snow around here... even with a long-duration, two-part storm such as Feb 2014 (complete with thundersnow, an overhead closed ULL, and TROWAL enhancement) I barely broke 20". I know no two storms are ever remotely alike, but that's part of the reason why I'm cautious of the excited 15" or 20" calls on the boards for this slingshot Miller type A in November that should be over in 8-12 hours.

Not to mention the snowpack was already 15-20" before the storm

Archived