Newest Member
    joxey
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics Josh.

I saw someone in another sub-forum mention their snowfall total in the past 365 days (3/4/13 to 3/3/14). For MBY...that total is 87.6". Incredible. :)

Thanks. Thats incredible for your area!

We had a boring March last year. It was cold, and we had some remnants of snow on the ground most of the month, but it really was blah in the snow department (our good month was Feb). So my season-to-date is 85.8" with 365-day snowfall 89.4".

My most impressive 365-day snowfall was 100.4" from February 1, 2008 to January 31, 2009.

Its incredible to think of what has happened in this region the last decade. Of course, all things combined this winter is by far tops...and thats saying A LOT.

GFS is off it's rocker for the 15th.

Record low max for ORD is 17°, 1893. Record low 6°, 1890.

---

Onto realistic news. 

Band of pretty good snow pushing towards the Mississippi River.

16º/2º at LAF today...departures of -29º/-25º.

Would have been nice to tack on a couple more sub-zero temps this morning and tomorrow, but not meant to be.

Managed to drop to -10 here which was not only a daily record but is now the 2nd coldest temp ever for the month of March at KBTL. The coldest is -11 so yeah only missed that by 1.

As far as the next system, the one thing we have going for us, whether or not the storm develops in the 5-6 day range or the 8-9 day range, is for once this season we finally have a formidable southern stream wave with some STJ action. That much bolds well for the big snow potential, because there will be a fair amount of moisture to work with.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1211 AM EST TUE MAR 04 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT...

THE TEMPERATURE AT FORT WAYNE DROPPED TO -1 AT 1208 AM EST...
BREAKING THE OLD RECORD FOR MARCH 4TH OF ZERO IN 1978. ADDITIONAL
UPDATES WILL BE MADE TO THIS RECORD AS NEEDED EARLY THIS MORNING.

4.4" for the month so far. We had worse. lol

Not saying this is a bad March as we have great snow cover and continuing the records ... I have been out 3 days doing snow activities.  My point is I just hope this is does not become a 'lame' month that keeps Detroit from the snow record.  Plenty of time to change but currently there is not much to look forward to in the models (storm-wise).

Record low of 0F this morning at DTW, beat the old record by a solid 5F, and it would have gotten much colder if clouds hadnt rolled in. This makes it 17 days at or below 0F for the winter, the 5th most on record for Detroit. Since 4 of those days were exactly 0F, we are still at 13 subzero days, which ties for 7th most on record.

Record low of 0F this morning at DTW, beat the old record by a solid 5F, and it would have gotten much colder if clouds hadnt rolled in. This makes it 17 days at or below 0F for the winter, the 5th most on record for Detroit. Since 4 of those days were exactly 0F, we are still at 13 subzero days, which ties for 7th most on record.

I am sitting at 28 day with subzero weather now.  I have had 2 more days than Flint.

Archived