joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were cloudy all and there was zero melting.

There was about 15-20 minutes worth of sun. It was enough...

Cloud deck was really thin. Most of the time you could see the outline of the sun.

Still plenty of snow and ice from last night's refresher on area streets in these parts this evening.

Really! Not around here. My driveway is really clean and the side streets aren't A+, but definitely I'd give them an A-. 

I think it helps that two snow plow drivers for Beach Park live here though.  :thumbsup:

Really! Not around here. My driveway is really clean and the side streets aren't A+, but definitely I'd give them an A-.

I think it helps that two snow plow drivers for Beach Park live here though. :thumbsup:

True true.

The Woodstock streets sup did just get picked up for schleppin' salt so who knows.

another -20 morning here. still 30"+ of snow but the top foot or more is all powder and not glacier, so could melt fairly quick. the bottom 2' isn't going anywhere fast. Local Met said he fully expects areas to still have snow by May.

Also ice cover is now 91% total for the Great Lakes.... just surpassed 1994.

Absolute glacier around here. Cannot believe the staying power of this stuff

My neighbor and I were discussing how much we love all the snow, the extreme cold and the large utilities bills, the horrible gas mileage. 

NAEFS is just a cruel joke at this point.  I won't post it anymore but its the same as yesterday :)   I really have my doubts on March seeing anything 50F or better...maybe late in the month that will occur.  I still remember biking with shorts/tshirt in March :( :(

Yup...  the stretch starting today through next week almost looks tropical compared to where we've been...lots of upper 20Fs, 30Fs and even a 40F or better in the cards... i'll take it.  Should be able to melt some snow in the next week. 

Someone I know was talking to an owner of a fishing camp in Canada (Ontario) and they were using extensions on their ice augers the ice is so thick up there...3 or 4 feet is what my buddy was figuring. 

Mix of sun and clouds...

I'm walking from Wisconsin to Canada...  i'll start in Ashland ...wish me luck :flood:

:D

Big lake ice scares me too much. I sledded from Boyne City to Charlevoix on Lake Charlevoix which was around 10 miles and had to pry loose my fingers from the grips. Looking at Lake MI in Charlevoix, looks just like the webcam in Barrow, AK... quite a sight to see.

Sunny now with temps rising above 20°. City streets are wet with a little slush now.

post-7389-0-23808300-1394040041_thumb.jp

Two years ago today was the last day of seasonable weather for early the rest of March. "Morch Torch" started on the 6th.

:D

Big lake ice scares me too much. I sledded from Boyne City to Charlevoix on Lake Charlevoix which was around 10 miles and had to pry loose my fingers from the grips. Looking at Lake MI in Charlevoix, looks just like the webcam in Barrow, AK... quite a sight to see.

I can honestly say I've walked across the Mississippi River (this year its common) about 10 years back.  I won't do it ever again (don't trust that, even in a super cold year like this).  There will be open water in areas within days if we stay above freezing.  It doesn't take much to open back up.  

Mostly sunshine here now...seems like the clouds have moved on.  With the fresh snow, a ton of reflection (sunglasses). 

I'm going to recommend Geos takes an inner tube with him on his lake crossing adventure.

Haha. I'll do it then!  :lol:

I'm surprised Polar Bears haven't migrated down to the Great Lakes this winter.

Looks like all the ice is heading to this shoreline now.

Near 20° with full sun right now.

I can honestly say I've walked across the Mississippi River (this year its common) about 10 years back.  I won't do it ever again (don't trust that, even in a super cold year like this).  There will be open water in areas within days if we stay above freezing.  It doesn't take much to open back up.  

Mostly sunshine here now...seems like the clouds have moved on.  With the fresh snow, a ton of reflection (sunglasses).

How wide of a crossing is the river by you?

Archived