• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

Epic stuff there.. Amazing what a difference just 35 miles makes to go from 100 here to 150 there. On average ( normal )  you gain a inch for every mile west you go from here with the seasonal snowfall. Not this winter. sheesh Wonder what the highest total for the winter is out that way from there up into Allegan and on up to Muskegon, etc?

The Jackpot area is usually just north of Bloomingdale to just west of Allegan.  I drove all over that area and there is just a lot of snow all over   :snowing:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might get below zero here before midnight too ... 5 with a dp of -5 ... both have dropped 4 degrees in the past hour. 

What an awesome winter when you spend nearly 4 hours outside playing in the snow with your kids at ~12F degrees and think it is warm.  Amazing what no wind and lots of sun does!!!

@ Bo. If you look at satellite images or go down to the lake in person down this way, you'll see the lake isn't that frozen. 

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/region_map.html

Anyways, a low of -4° here. LE clouds were bit of a saving grace this morning. haha

As they show the entire lake it is not totally ice covered.  Fresh ice will look like open water on satellite and even when looking from shore from a distance.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI 530 AM CST
715 AM CST MON MAR 3 2014

...RECORD DAILY LOW TEMPERATURE FOR LA CROSSE WISCONSIN...

THE TEMPERATURE AT THE LA CROSSE REGIONAL AIRPORT DROPPED TO
-21 DEGREES AT 6:19 AM. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF
-13 SET ON THIS DAY BACK IN 1875 AND 1873.

THIS TEMPERATURE IS ALSO THE COLDEST AT LA CROSSE SO FAR THIS WINTER
SEASON WHICH UNTIL TODAY WAS -20 RECORDED ON JANUARY 6TH 2014.

THE -21 ALSO MAKES IT THE 3RD COLDEST MARCH DAY ON RECORD. THE
COLDEST WAS A BONE CHILLING -28 SET BACK IN 1962.

As they show the entire lake it is not totally ice covered.  Fresh ice will look like open water on satellite and even when looking from shore from a distance.

I attempted to a get a picture from Racine just now, but the between the -SN and the clouds it was hard to tell. It did look like the surface was moving a bit.

One good wind storm and the coverage would plummet like it did a couple weeks ago.

@ Alek, too bad ORD isn't working on breaking the next milestone this morning.

I attempted to a get a picture from Racine just now, but the between the -SN and the clouds it was hard to tell. It did look like the surface was moving a bit.

One good wind storm and the coverage would plummet like it did a couple weeks ago.

@ Alek, too bad ORD isn't working on breaking the next milestone this morning.

I don't think you were understanding my discussion with Bo.  All I was saying to Bo was with the light winds over the next few days the GL ice cover % will likely peak.  I agree that all we need is a big storm to break it up like last time.  I was not saying there are not open spots.

one of the best return/rate ratios in a long time...beautiful puff balls with little to no wind. Closing in on 1"

I loved when that would happen when I was at MTU on calm days.  The LES would drift overhead due to the upper levels with monster ratios.  Pretty cool.

Do you have that cubs webcam link?

Archived