northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed this sort of difference locally as well. Downtown Detroit has like 3-5" where as out in the neighborhoods away from the wind and where there is more shade the depth is around 12-16"

I was downtown Detroit yesterday and there were sections of full grass and sections of foot+ snowpack (and of course everything in between). Noticed some huge drifts on the rooftops of some buildings, and they had a massive heat tent over Comerica Park with tons of workers doing the daunting task of clearing and thawing the field. overall though definitely more grass showing downtown than anywhere else. Winter in the city is clearly a different beast than that of the suburbs!

lol, brutal

essentially 0 here

You must have more old snow Chicago Storm. When I got up this morning at 6:30 I was reading about 7".

I noticed this sort of difference locally as well. Downtown Detroit has like 3-5" where as out in the neighborhoods away from the wind and where there is more shade the depth is around 12-16"

COOP snow depth map from this morning shows it well... Area of 10"+ depth in the NW burbs, with <6" elsewhere.

is0.gif

DVN at 58 now as well, so maybe it's not off afterall.

Nice! I think it's going to peak at 54° here.

Surprised to hear you say you still have snow, Hawkeye! Is it snow or ice?! lol

Lot of bare ground shown on this Buffalo Grove camera.

BFFRH_l.jpg?rnd=15-031020141702

Really cool Lake Michigan sat image.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=m&page=1&template=subℑ=a1.14069.1854.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

Started the day with 2-3" or so, and it's probably more like 1-2" now.  Lots of grass patches showing, but still large areas with several inches on the ground.  What's left is probably the original glacier so it's gonna be hard to get rid of.

Its hilarious looking at webcams throughout SE MI right now (trafficland, wundercam, etc)....you would think you are looking at 2 different regions. Freeway webcams show like 75-80% grass....residential webcams show near 100% snow :lol:

This stat is mind-boggling, and I just now realized the insanity of it knowing that tomorrows 12z snow depth will be below 10" for the first time since Jan 26th. DTW averages 47 days per winter with 1"+ snowcover (86 and counting this winter). This winter, they have seen 50 days with 10"+ snowcover lmaosmiley.gif. Not often someone north of I-80 can say they have seen more days with 10"+ snowpack in a winter than the average days for 1"+ snowpack!

Lost a lot of snow today. Some areas nearby have lost snow cover completely; like agricultural land, while shaded forested areas are hanging around 80% coverage. Today will be the final day I think of snow cover. My yard and surrounding yards are about 60% covered now.

Just cracked the a few windows open for a bit to let some of the funk out of the house.

53° for the high.

College girls were out today :icecream:

Touched 54F but it felt so much warmer (especially if you were out of the wind). 

Lost plenty of snow, but the streets were really flooded in spots and we still have a ton of big piles around to melt...which is going to take some time. 

Roads are crumbling.  I've heard of axles being broken on some of the local potholes. 

Calling depth 8"...but its ridiculously variable. Have bare spots and drifts as high as 20" against the back fence in the shade.

Been working outside all day in numerous areas around town. On average the snow pack is between 2-6". My front yard (southern) is now 70% bare, yet the neighbor across the street is sporting a decent snowpack. Piles took a substantial hit around town as well. It was nice seeing the grass after being burried for nearly 90 days.

College girls were out today :icecream:

Touched 54F but it felt so much warmer (especially if you were out of the wind). 

Lost plenty of snow, but the streets were really flooded in spots and we still have a ton of big piles around to melt...which is going to take some time. 

Roads are crumbling.  I've heard of axles being broken on some of the local potholes. 

No kidding. I've heard of drivers blowing out tires on the most extreme potholes. 

Saw a few bumpers and those bug shields you can put on your car along the roads with the dirty snow.

---

Should add this. Southern Lake MI ice cover this afternoon.

post-7389-0-83297400-1394500371_thumb.pn

Been working outside all day in numerous areas around town. On average the snow pack is between 2-6". My front yard (southern) is now 70% bare, yet the neighbor across the street is sporting a decent snowpack. Piles took a substantial hit around town as well. It was nice seeing the grass after being burried for nearly 90 days.

I noticed how piles have gone down too but they are still huge. North-south residential areas have quite the disparity depending which side of the street you are on, but east-west areas are more uniform. Overall depth in backyards away from pavement is definitely more than 2-6" here, while at the same time heavily traveled roads are mainly grass and piles.

Hey guys. It has been a while since I've been on here. Thought I'd see how much snow everybody has left. We still have a good 16 to 18 inches in most places around here. Today was the first actual day where I noticed a litttttttle bit of grass showing under the trees constantly exposed to wind and sunshine. Snowpack is thinner in those places, but like I said, well over a foot in most locations.

Hey guys. It has been a while since I've been on here. Thought I'd see how much snow everybody has left. We still have a good 16 to 18 inches in most places around here. Today was the first actual day where I noticed a litttttttle bit of grass showing under the trees constantly exposed to wind and sunshine. Snowpack is thinner in those places, but like I said, well over a foot in most locations.

A good 12" here on average.  Only spots I can see grass is under the pine trees and where I plowed along the driveway.

Archived