Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 12/19/2010

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the consistency of the GFS over the previous 9 runs almost made this storm look like it was going to be easy

I guess we should have known otherwise

like several of the mets have said, this is a mod NINA and its hard to get a great storm on the east coast in one

we're just gonna' have to wait on this one

quite honestly this is the kind of situation where we may not want a phase. Rather, a strong low bowling west to east. We get any kind of phase west of the apps and it could be ugly for many of us, yes even the OV.

absolutely

those bowling balls are often good for 3-6", and in a mod NINA, that's really all we should expect 90% of the time

Guest someguy

The GFS blows and is overphasing everything

REALLY folks there is REASON why I avoid the GFS with its extreme super BOMB crap this far out

what you can not do is

have snow sex fantasy over the GFS for the last 8 or 10 rusn and Love the GFS

then the 18z comes along and say well the GFS isnt right

Guest someguy

the 18z GFS for RIC is a fooking nightmare

looking at the 132 to 144 hr RH fields and 850 temps

ric would get a smal periof od snow then rain then DRY slot

and its over

all the precup would break/ develop well N and W of RIC

the 18z GFS says it would be snowing in CHO and DCA before it ever reached ric

but like I said I dont have any love for the GFDS past 72 / 84 hrs and I never will... not with east coast snowstorms

Guest someguy

Major event for Upstate NY and western PA on this run. It actually doesn't seem to get that warm in eastern areas, and the low sticks around for a while.

the 18z GFS has as Much chanceof being right as the giants beating the eagles in todays game

not to toot my own horn but this is exactly what I was cautioning against in the 12Z thread.

post-3403-0-58985800-1292798616.png

the energy looks much more consolidated this run and in typical GFS too much emphasis on front runner fashion. normal correction would be weaker out front and slightly slower with more of a neutrally tilted trough (as opposed to negative) at this time, with the second shortwave being slightly deeper. I have a feeling this will hug the coast and could cause some anxious moments for I-95. I do not yet see the explosive cyclogenesis the GFS is seeing tho, mainly because it has almost no support from any other model. Compromise the 12Z and 18Z positions I think is a fair track.

Just wondering if this is actually realistic to expect the 500 to close off this rapidly in 12 hours from such a broad trough. Any met's care to chime in?

Not a met but it looks realistic and very possible to me. You have 2 major vorts ready to phase while the epic Central Canada block essentially joins with the +PNA to cause a massive ridge out West helping to dig the trof / phase farther West.

Is it right? Likely not, the GFS is often extreme, especially at off runs, but the PNA ridge is certainly real. That had been a big question going into this. Maybe too much of a good thing this run.

Archived