• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Much Colder Than Normal March Pattern Continues

bluewave

Well then we are assured it won't happen. This weekend used to be the traditional start of winter flounder season. Back when we had winter flounder. It meant winter was over and break the fishing rods out. Used to be a flotilla of boats at Sheepshead bay. most are gone now.

A lot of the boats were damaged from Sandy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing this, but the more scientific consensus is that mass food shortages and famine are the more likely result. there are a couple interesting books by historian Brian Fagan, The Little Ice Age and The Long Summer, which examine the historical effects of warm and cold periods over those centuries. Fagan is not the liveliest writer ( his nemesis is Mark Kurlansky, author of Cod and Salt, because he is not a professional historian, but sells a lot more books...)but he is scholarly. Fish on Fridays, which examines the history of this tradition ( it had nothing to do with religion ) was his attempt to cash in on the success of Cod....

As someone who has been looking at wx models for 10+ years, I think I understand this. I had just heard it showed some insane solution so out of curiosity I wanted to see it. Regardless of a storm or not, the models are showing a fairly strong cold blast (relative to time of year) in the 8-10 range.  

You know what's amazing? The GFS and Euro have a storm at day 9 (March 25th) that's currently suppressed because the PV is still too far south.

BTW, 19/50 00z ECWMF ensemble members had significant precipitation over the area days 8-10.

The GGEM also shows a storm just offshore.

I remember this . They always replay this game on the Yes network. Just like you said, until the PV retreats, no one should be exxpecting warmer weather.

The pattern over the Pacific at day 7 has me somewhat intrigued. This will ultimately dictate whether or not we have a storm chance early next week.

The GFS has been consistently developing a cut off low south of Alaska and that's helping to pump up the western ridge and amplify the pattern.

06z

gfs_npac_168_500_vort_ht.gif

00z

18z

12z

Today the 12z GFS was much more typical for an early Spring pattern.

Lots of cutters and inland runners with lots and lots of rain.

12Z GEFS don't seem that warm at all compared to the OP, as the cold just sticks around.  850s get to 0-3+ only before it cools down again.  Hope this breaks sometime in April.

Archived