• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC regional school closings, etc

jm1220

Truth. Long Island schools are starting to close now. 

OH and this is my rant from banter:

So the city is looking at a foot plus and they're opening schools? Asking the teachers to come in just as the heavy bands are coming on shore??? Don't see this being a disaster commute or anything at all...

(Sorry I keep harping on NYC living with fiancee who is having a meltdown, told her not to go but she's conflicted. Shouldn't have to worry about it)

Just saw it & of course just n time for my kid's school bus.. GRRR! Chancelor needs better weather advice!

If there was ever a day to cancel school, it's today.  Dangerous to have buses on the roads in this.  I'd keep the kids at home and teach them about midlevel frontogenesis and cold conveyor belts...

If there was ever a day to cancel school, it's today.  Dangerous to have buses on the roads in this.  I'd keep the kids at home and teach them about midlevel frontogenesis and cold conveyor belts...

Strongly considered it , prob is : 1 snow day & we already kept em 2 other days ( MECS 's ) & tomorrow maybe worse so keeping that in my back pocket. left with little choice frankly. The politics of the public school system in NYC is just sickening!

Teachers/staff going in today is part of the problem.  Mayor's office takes data on the amount of staff that come in on storm days.  The mayor sees that sufficient staff come in regardless of the weather.  This factors into his decision to open.  If absolutely no one showed up it would be an unsafe environment for the children and then the next time it snowed he would possibiley reconsider opening.  The more teacher/staff that show decreases the odds of a closure.

Can't believe schools are only doing 2 hour delays by me...it's insane out there.

That's since they may be out of snow days. My district is out of snow days and school has been restored March 17, already and then they attack spring break, which this year falls on religious holidays.

Teachers/staff going in today is part of the problem.  Mayor's office takes data on the amount of staff that come in on storm days.  The mayor sees that sufficient staff come in regardless of the weather.  This factors into his decision to open.  If absolutely no one showed up it would be an unsafe environment for the children and then the next time it snowed he would possibiley reconsider opening.  The more teacher/staff that show decreases the odds of a closure.

i bet you will have less than 50% of children not showing up at school today...

I have many friends who are teachers, they are reporting all empty classrooms. Also, they all are being told that if they called in today they either would have to use a personal day or if they used a sick day they would NEED a doctors note. The teachers more or less have no choice but to show up to watch empty desks...

If the Mayor's office were following the NWS, the office might suggest that the NWS special weather statement needs an edit:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
817 AM EST THU FEB 13 2014

...TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED THROUGH MID MORNING DUE TO THE RAPIDLY
DERIORATING CONDITIONS. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION IF
TRAVEL IS NECESSARY.

It should read:

"Travel is not recommended through mid morning for all but New York City public school children, teachers, and staff, due to the rapidly deteriorating conditions..." ;)

first the mayor tries to put blame on the nws..for the unexpected heavy snow fall..then he says we thought we could have our kids arrive safely to school..at the time kids were going to school the snow was falling at 2 to 3 inches a hour..what a nitwit...

I love how the school board lady just said "The snow has stopped. Look outside! It's beautiful out now!"

Archived