joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014

PennMan

Also

CONSIDERED ISSUING WINTER STORM WATCH FOR POSSIBLE

6" IN 12HRS OVER THE FAR SRN TIER ADJ TO LWX/PHL BUT WITH SOME

UNCERTAINTY ON THE NRN EDGE OF THE PCPN SHIELD AND SREF/GEFS MEANS

STRONGLY SUPPORTING LESSER/HIGH-END ADVY AMTS..OPTED TO KEEP

MENTION IN HWO AND ALLOW LATER SHIFTS TO ISSUE WSW IF NECESSARY.

A reasonable but consevative approach.  I think best case, we wake up with a WSW.   Well I'll wake up, In your case you'll prob still be up tracking.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a hard time buying any serious snow accumulations this week in the LSV.  With a string of warm days and the every increasing February sun angle, we need snow to start well before sunrise and it to remain heavy through the daylight hours.  The storms this week don't seem to have too much punch or energy with them.

Are you trolling now?

I am having a hard time buying any serious snow accumulations this week in the LSV.  With a string of warm days and the every increasing February sun angle, we need snow to start well before sunrise and it to remain heavy through the daylight hours.  The storms this week don't seem to have too much punch or energy with them.

I hope he is. We've been below freezing here for 2 weeks and the ground is frozen solid. Here at Millersville, we still have chunks of ice in the parking lots and still 85-90% snow covered. I've seen it snow 5" before down in MD the day after it was 60 degrees. I think for Monday we'll be fine in the LSV. Midweek on the other hand may be ice ice baby

I hope he is. We've been below freezing here for 2 weeks and the ground is frozen solid. Here at Millersville, we still have chunks of ice in the parking lots and still 85-90% snow covered. I've seen it snow 5" before down in MD the day after it was 60 degrees. I think for Monday we'll be fine in the LSV. Midweek on the other hand may be ice ice baby

Pretty sure it was like in the 70's in NC and they got like a foot. 

Atlanta was 61F on Monday. Then they had light snow between 11AM and 7PM on Tuesday that accumulated to 2.6".

Pretty sure it was like in the 70's in NC and they got like a foot. 

Exactly. The pure dynamics of the storm on Monday will be the key to snow accumulations. Looks like a pretty good UVV signal by the hi res models from Northern MD up to HBG to the east between the Northern extent of one jet maxima and the retreating jet maxima off to the Northeast. When you lie between those two streaks, you get good lift from usual jet entrance and exit regions. Those areas in between will see increased banding from that structure. Anyone embedded within will see moderate to heavy snow for a prolonged time and the column should cool sufficiently all the way to the surface. I can see 4-8" a distinct possibility from I81 east towards Philly along the MD/PA line up to HBG. Someone there should clean up. Northern MD will get clocked too

Exactly. The pure dynamics of the storm on Monday will be the key to snow accumulations. Looks like a pretty good UVV signal by the hi res models from Northern MD up to HBG to the east between the Northern extent of one jet maxima and the retreating jet maxima off to the Northeast. When you lie between those two streaks, you get good lift from usual jet entrance and exit regions. Those areas in between will see increased banding from that structure. Anyone embedded within will see moderate to heavy snow for a prolonged time and the column should cool sufficiently all the way to the surface. I can see 4-8" a distinct possibility from I81 east towards Philly along the MD/PA line up to HBG. Someone there should clean up. Northern MD will get clocked too

I agree. Man Frederick  and Philly is going to add to their already insane snow totals. 

I agree. Man Frederick  and Philly is going to add to their already insane snow totals. 

Someone on the other subforum mentioned Philly must have this giant snow magnet somewhere in their city  :lmao:

Frederick has been doing very nice also, but I'm used to seeing them cash in out there. The hills out there keep their temps in good shape for a majority of storms. I sometimes feel bad for DC guys especially because a lot of them, especially Wes Junker down there do a lot and get paid back very little. That's what happens when you live there though. I grew up in Baltimore county outside the beltway, so i had my fair share of cash ins in my lifetime. Living here at Millersville now basically is the same type of deal, just further north, granted my elevation here is actually less than home

:lmao:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=unv (Jmister, I know you asked before)

140205/0300Z  81  09004KT  19.1F  SNOW   12:1| 0.4|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.031   12:1|  0.4|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.03  100|  0|  0140205/0600Z  84  10007KT  17.1F  SNOW   14:1| 5.7|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.404   14:1|  6.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.44  100|  0|  0----------------------------------------------+----++-----+-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---140205/0900Z  87  11007KT  17.7F  SNOW   11:1| 5.5|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.522   12:1| 11.6|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.96  100|  0|  0140205/1200Z  90  12003KT  23.1F  SNOW   13:1| 4.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.316   12:1| 15.6|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 1.27  100|  0|  0140205/1500Z  93  19004KT  31.7F  SNOW   17:1| 0.6|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.037   12:1| 16.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 1.31  100|  0|  0140205/1800Z  96  25006KT  34.4F  RASN    0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.011   12:1| 16.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 1.32   62|  0| 38

Archived