northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another pencil thin band moving in. It's been our day.

Real nice bands south of I-80 in the LOT CWA now too. That'll help areas that are still in line to mix see their forecasted snow totals, if not higher in spots.

And I'm gonna have faith in the work my coworkers did earlier today regarding tomorrow, until we're wrong lol. But the forecaster that worked winter weather desk today typically does an excellent job. He worked on the 2/7 and 3/5 events last year.

Real nice bands south of I-80 in the LOT CWA now too. That'll help areas that are still in line to mix see their forecasted snow totals, if not higher in spots.

And I'm gonna have faith in the work my coworkers did earlier today regarding tomorrow, until we're wrong lol. But the forecaster that worked winter weather desk today typically does an excellent job. He worked on the 2/7 and 3/5 events last year.

RC agree with your reasoning but if the GFS follows the NAM dont you think that warnings should be adjusted??

Another pencil thin band moving in. It's been our day.

Nice, how much have you guys got today?

As for up here, I am encouraged by the correction back southeast something we have been seeing all year with these systems as Justin mentioned. I still think the WWA is probably the best way to go here, it would be borderline either way. I say we probably end up with around 6" here and 5" down by work.

The latest guidance is not necessarily the best guidance. The 00z runs before the March 5th event last year backed off fairly significantly on qpf, only to be completely wrong. QPF is what the models do worst, so I highly doubt there's gonna be any downgrades based off a few runs of the NAM. The forcing parameters are what's important, not specific qpf totals.

Sent from my SCH-I535

+10

Going to ride a 4-5" call here. What I've noticed is that the models run about 24 hours from the event are the best... this winter.

Nice, how much have you guys got today?

As for up here, I am encouraged by the correction back southeast something we have been seeing all year with these systems as Justin mentioned. I still think the WWA is probably the best way to go here, it would be borderline either way. I say we probably end up with around 6" here and 5" down by work.

A bit over 2" but Tim has already gone with a final total and he's not changing it.  :(

The innie storm had potential to grow a small outtie and thread the needle and bring up respectable precip farther north/west but its just not going to happen in wiwx land again.  probably be fighting the same battle of system getting crushed until too late with the next week one also.  Is what it is and models will have a rough time so its best to go pessimistic while model hugging each run starting a week out for those still waiting on a sw flow storm to dump snow until the seasonal trends end..  might be next winter for wiwx lol.

:blahblah:

A bit over 2" but Tim has already gone with a final total and he's not changing it.  :(

I don't think the 18 flakes falling here right now are going to make much of a difference. ;)

0z RGEM, like the NAM, is hanging precip back again. Don't think it'll add much because of it's short duration, but maybe a brief mix to end things.

EDIT: looks a little more interesting looping the p-type maps, but mainly just to our south. Something to watch.

RC agree with your reasoning but if the GFS follows the NAM dont you think that warnings should be adjusted??

No I still doubt they because it would be a bad message to send to the public to do that before most of the snow even falls. Unless some areas under the WSW weren't gonna see any snow at all, I think headlines will remain unchanged.

Whether it snows 5" or 7" in a given area, the travel impacts will still be significant. If we don't get the warning totals in some spots but still get significant snow (4-6"), the only thing it'll do is affect our verification, but I doubt much of the public will be upset.

Last night was thinking the heaviest band would line up from Burlington to Chicago.  I'm thinking a little southeast of that now, probably from Macomb to Dwight, and up towards Valpo IN.  Probably a nice 5-7" band in there with some isolated 8" amounts. 

EDIT:  For Chicago proper I'd go with 4-5" from north to south, with maybe some 6" amounts in the southern burbs.

MKE

00Z NAM CUTS BACK ON QPF...MORE IN LINE WITH 12Z ECMWF...AND
RESULTANT SNOWFALL FOR THE AREA...HOWEVER WOULD LIKE TO SEE ENTIRE
SUITE OF 00Z GUIDANCE BEFORE MAKING ANY SIGNIFICANT ADJUSTMENTS.
TREND OVER THE PAST TWO DAYS HAS BEEN SNOWIER SO DO NOT WANT TO
MAKE ANY RASH CHANGES AT THIS POINT. WL LET MIDNIGHT SHIFT
EVALUATE ENTIRE SUITE AND CUT BACK ON AMOUNTS IF NECESSARY.

Skilling not budging but when his bloated snow total RPM model shows a significant decrease in forecasted amounts, you know it's a bad sign.

I'm guessing skilling is not a model hugger. I've repeatedly seen him score when models do a late turn. But keep in mind 5" totals get him home. Too many focus on the high end.

Radar south and west seems to be building nicely.

Archived