• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 3rd possible snow

Our excellent meteorologists from Mt. Holly have issued a snow map ( which I feel may be raised ), with KPHL as epicenter for a swath of 4-6".

I believe as we get further soundings, and clarification of the disparate pieces of the storm, especially the SW energy and GOM moisture, it should turn to 6-8"....modestly, not the 8-10" I believe in. Cooling the column is paramount.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that the lower 10,000+ feet of the atmosphere will be composed mostly of liquid water clouds (temps -5C or higher) is not going to allow ratios to be higher than 10:1.  Lower than that seems more realistic.  Flakes will rimed out the yin-yang.

I completely agree with you about ratios, maybe 10:1 at times but prob more like 7 or 8:1. I was speaking more about the mixing concerns. I guess what I was trying to say is I never really considered where the best lift was in the column other than whether or not it coincided with the dgz. If the lift is occurring say up around 500-400mb and temps are -20 to -30C, would large rates 'pull' some of this colder air down towards the sfc quicker than what the models depict, reducing the concern for rain/mix early on?

I completely agree with you about ratios, maybe 10:1 at times but prob more like 7 or 8:1. I was speaking more about the mixing concerns. I guess what I was trying to say is I never really considered where the best lift was in the column other than whether or not it coincided with the dgz. If the lift is occurring say up around 500-400mb and temps are -20 to -30C, would large rates 'pull' some of this colder air down towards the sfc quicker than what the models depict, reducing the concern for rain/mix early on?

Well, generally, cooling is dynamic or evaporational.  I haven't seen much study on the possibility of the flakes actually cooling the column because they were colder higher up.  Given the large isothermal layer, my guess is it won't have a big effect compared to dynamic cooling.

Well, generally, cooling is dynamic or evaporational.  I haven't seen much study on the possibility of the flakes actually cooling the column because they were colder higher up.  Given the large isothermal layer, my guess is it won't have a big effect compared to dynamic cooling.

You're probably right Ray. I was thinking dynamic cooling coming from higher up where temps are colder would be better than if you're lift was down around 700mb but as you pointed out the very large isothermal layer will should negate this. Thanks for the insight! Looking forward to seeing how things pan out tomorrow.

The fact is the pattern features a jackpot for KPHL AFTER a warmup.

The key to cooling down is the second cold front, now on the Pa/Ohio border, getting in fast enough for all snow or 90% snow, giving us another 6-8" event, with lollipops of 7-10" to the central jersey coast. It all depends if convective banding comes out of the energy currently draped across the SE , as well.

Thanks Ray! a little elevation has not really been much factor in recent years but tomorrow with borderline temps could make a difference - of course if the banding is to the south or north won't matter....

I'd recommend some place with elevation to your west, maybe Paul's house.

off the top my head brookhaven also comes to mind 

No No not Brookhaven in Delaware County Media is on par with them in terms of elevation 

Newtown Square or Radnor Delaware County right on the Chester County lines are the highest elevations here in Delco outside of just northwest of Granite Run Mall or NE.

Archived