Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 3rd possible snow

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-4" in line with local mets. Major mixing issues at onset. We waste a lot of good qpf on slop. You just got nam'd

My call from beginning is 2-4, I think I'm going to go 4-7" now...but I think wasting precip will be an issue, its going to be a nowcast type storm, luckily I'm in NE Philly not S lol. 

My call from beginning is 2-4, I think I'm going to go 4-7" now...but I think wasting precip will be an issue, its going to be a nowcast type storm, luckily I'm in NE Philly not S lol. 

This storm is killer for me. The rain/snow line could be just north or just south of me. It's impossible to predict exactly where.

Somehow PHL will pull 8+ inches from this. You know it will happen.

This. Philly has just been THE spot this winter. I feel you could take the 12z NAM snow map and have applied it to more than half the storms this winter and it would be very accurate. We should get a little revenge up here in Berks with the Tuesday night system. Certainly fun times ahead for all!

Not really feeling this one. Air is warm at the onset, and being replaced by marginal cold. Best verticals are turnpike and points east, where the air is warmest. Even when the column is completely frozen, temperatures in the snow growth zone are really lackluster. I think .2 gets lost to rain, .2 gets lost to getting the roads cold, and what's left is falling when the sun is out. 8:1 ratios for the remaining .4-.5 QPF...thinking 2-4 area wide, little more in the Middlesex-Monmouth jackpot zone. This stinks of an underperformer to me.

Not really feeling this one. Air is warm at the onset, and being replaced by marginal cold. Best verticals are turnpike and points east, where the air is warmest. Even when the column is completely frozen, temperatures in the snow growth zone are really lackluster. I think .2 gets lost to rain, .2 gets lost to getting the roads cold, and what's left is falling when the sun is out. 8:1 ratios for the remaining .4-.5 QPF...thinking 2-4 area wide, little more in the Middlesex-Monmouth jackpot zone. This stinks of an underperformer to me.

well said

I am feeling this one. Winter trends are underrated. Remember a couple of days ago this was a mostly MA threat. The trend this winter has been over-preforming storms, so this one should follow the same path. 4-8 inches with lolipops of 10+ probably for Monmouth County and Brookhaven Delaware County.

The ARW which has been consistent with the Srefs on 1 inch QPF through PHL itself. Some of that will be lost, but once it turns to +sn, it will begin to accumulate fast.

"THE TREND IS OUR FRIEND". I am incomplete agreement, as Winter to Winter there is a jackpot zone, whether it got steered by the jet, or the meeting of two fronts.

Certainly, a look at any Winter of recent note, as bad as last year, maintained that trend, to the end.

I favor: "The trend is our friend.....until it finally ends.

Have seen no synoptic earth shakers to buck the current Winter.

KPHL will hit at least triple bars in a jackpot scenario.

Thanks Highzenberg. Can you post the link to the NAM that you use.

Imo,if your not under the heavier rates tomorow, you problay wont have any accumulation except on existing snow, mulch and grass.

This is why I'm hoping the snow pack can survive through the day. So far so good. Any mixing issues for RDG per the 12 gfs?

I noticed that the best omegas are a bit higher up than that usual ~700-600mb. I realize this may not be conducive for great ratios as temps in this layer are colder than the ideal -12 to -18C.. but I'm curious as to whether large vv's further up where it's much colder can translate(bring down) some of the colder temps down toward the surface quicker than the models depict in some of the heavier bands? My usually conservative self feels pretty good about this storm, probably because we've had such good luck all winter and it's just icing on the cake at this point. Anyhow, I like a 5-10 inch jackpot band somewhere in the northeast MD-Philly-central Jersey area.

Lee as always will have a little more than most in his backyard.....

I am feeling this one. Winter trends are underrated. Remember a couple of days ago this was a mostly MA threat. The trend this winter has been over-preforming storms, so this one should follow the same path. 4-8 inches with lolipops of 10+ probably for Monmouth County and Brookhaven Delaware County.

I noticed that the best omegas are a bit higher up than that usual ~700-600mb. I realize this may not be conducive for great ratios as temps in this layer are colder than the ideal -12 to -18C.. but I'm curious as to whether large vv's further up where it's much colder can translate(bring down) some of the colder temps down toward the surface quicker than the models depict in some of the heavier bands? My usually conservative self feels pretty good about this storm, probably because we've had such good luck all winter and it's just icing on the cake at this point. Anyhow, I like a 5-10 inch jackpot band somewhere in the northeast MD-Philly-central Jersey area.

The fact that the lower 10,000+ feet of the atmosphere will be composed mostly of liquid water clouds (temps -5C or higher) is not going to allow ratios to be higher than 10:1.  Lower than that seems more realistic.  Flakes will rimed out the yin-yang.

Archived