• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014

DeltaPilot

Yeah I'm aware of that one and some others. But  What I was referring to was people sleeping in stores, walking 15 miles, being stuck for 20 hours, kids being stuck at school or on buses all night, etc. I know it was bad in raleigh,  i just don't remember ever hearing the stories we have heard out of atlanta..and birmingham too for that matter. Just curious if rdu had similar horror stories.

Yes people abandoned cars and walked miles to get home.  My mom couldn't even get home that night.  Kids slept in schools and people took shelter in fast food restaurants for the night.

I don't think any kids spent the night on school buses though so you do have that on us if that did happen.  This is why they cancel school now when there is even a hint of winter weather.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will chime in a bit.....I think in the case of ATL, it sounded like broadcast media downplayed a lot!! NWS, and some other media (I had them getting 1-2") did a pretty good job. I don't know if wsb, etc downplayed it that much like it would be no big deal. not sure, but sounds like it from what I have heard/saw on tv.

I'd be interested in hearing about this-- in Memphis there's a longtime and popular broadcast met famous for dismissing NWS warnings as a way of differentiating himself from what the gov't and the other stations might tell you. He has no special skill, and is as wrong as often as not, but under the wrong circumstances has the power to create real chaos with his misinformation. Wondering if anything like that happened in Atlanta.

I have lived in New England all my life and have seen the horror that one inch of snow falling at rush hour on a very cold surface can create. In fact six inches of snow is easier to drive on. We had a similar situation 12/13/07, it was not the 10 inches that fell after the first inch that caused kids being stuck on buses for hours it was the first inch.

I'd be interested in hearing about this-- in Memphis there's a longtime and popular broadcast met famous for dismissing NWS warnings as a way of differentiating himself from what the gov't and the other stations might tell you. He has no special skill, and is as wrong as often as not, but under the wrong circumstances has the power to create real chaos with his misinformation. Wondering if anything like that happened in Atlanta.

I think you mean Dave Brown.  I didn't even know he was a weather guy until the Super Tuesday outbreak in 2008(?), I went to their live feed and there he was doing weather and I thought..."That's the Dave Brown from Memphis wrestling!"

Does he have any type of science background?  His wiki says he went to U of Memphis for Political Science.  I seem to remember him having a dim opinion of some NWS forecasts/outlooks, and occasionally he was outspoken about them, and I never knew why.

I have lived in New England all my life and have seen the horror that one inch of snow falling at rush hour on a very cold surface can create. In fact six inches of snow is easier to drive on. We had a similar situation 12/13/07, it was not the 10 inches that fell after the first inch that caused kids being stuck on buses for hours it was the first inch.

Ya Ginxy that is the thing down here in the south is we do not get the snow to really help with traction like they do up north. We usually get a dusting to a couple of inches and as the snow starts it melts then freezes on the road and by the time the snow stops you have ice then a bit of snow on top just to make things very very slick down here. Take last night for instance I was driving on snow and ice in 4WD coming down a hill trying to down shift tap the breaks ect to stop at a stop sign but then all four tires broke loose and within a split second I was out in the middle of the highway. Luckily there was no one coming but it dies not take much here in the south not does it take much ice to cause major problems.

Ya Ginxy that is the thing down here in the south is we do not get the snow to really help with traction like they do up north. We usually get a dusting to a couple of inches and as the snow starts it melts then freezes on the road and by the time the snow stops you have ice then a bit of snow on top just to make things very very slick down here. Take last night for instance I was driving on snow and ice in 4WD coming down a hill trying to down shift tap the breaks ect to stop at a stop sign but then all four tires broke loose and within a split second I was out in the middle of the highway. Luckily there was no one coming but it dies not take much here in the south not does it take much ice to cause major problems.

four wheel low.

The same thing happened in Raleigh in 05. Some people laugh at the schools closing when there is any chance of snow, but this is exactly why they do it. It's not worth the risk. I think businesses should be more willing to close, too. It's not worth getting caught in this mess unless you are an emergency worker or an essential worker at a hospital.

Traffic was an absolute disaster last Tuesday here in NYC when heavy snow started falling just prior to rush hour, and everyone took to the roads and mass transit. For the most part we were paralyzed for hours. And we are used to major snowstorms and were expecting significant accumulations. I could only imagine what it must be like in places not used to it.

There are a lot of really good points in this thread. Honestly, it was just a perfect scenario for chaos. Everything came together just right and it turned into a disaster.

I woke up yesterday and told my parents I was coming home from school after first period to track the snow. They weren't thrilled at the time, but they let me do it. At the time it was more because I didn't want to be stuck in a class while it was snowing out the window. I hate that feeling lol. Anyways as I was checking out, some of my friends saw me leaving and were teasing me telling me it was dumb to leave and that nothing was going to happen. I just kind of nodded and walked away haha. I had no idea how great of a decision I had just made.

I'd been following the RAP and it was showing more snow for the ATL metro than most of the other models. 12z NAM rolled in and I think it showed around 2-3 inches. I was beginning to think it really could be a pretty serious event. I was texting MariettaWX before it actually started snowing  and he was telling me the interstates were packed and people were driving like maniacs. He even said "snowjam?" I bet he didn't know how true that text would become!

It was pretty remarkable how quickly it started accumulating on the roads. Having that 12 hour period of below freezing temps before snow even started was a huge factor. Light snow started at around 10 AM and my private school waited until 11:25 to send out an email/text telling parents to come get their kids. I imagine most parents and kids didn't leave the school til between 12 and 12:30. There was already about a quarter of an inch by the time they sent that! 

Right around the time they sent students out is when the snow really started coming down. I took a walk to a nearby hill that has a fairly gradual slope and cars were really struggling. Came back home and looked at the radar. It had blossomed since the last time I had checked it and I was realizing how disastrous a few more hours of snow would be. 

Took another walk to a steeper hill and there were multiple cars who were getting stuck. I felt like I should do what I could to help them out rather than sit on a computer at home watching a radar. I spent the next 3 hours with a group of about 6 guys and we pushed car after car up the hill. I think we stopped after pushing 14 up successfully haha. (Side note: If you've never pushed cars up a hill while slipping around, it's exhausting as hell) People were so thankful and even offered to give us money. This one lady was crying because she couldn't get up the hill to pick up her son at Lewis Elementary, which is about 2 miles from this hill. We got her up and she was crying from happiness. It was neat!

Anyways, conditions got worse on my road. Numerous wrecks and abandoned cars. People walking up the side of the street for miles and miles. I posted something on here in the obs thread about it looking like a scene out of a movie and that's honestly the best way I can describe it. It was a day that I'll never forget for as long as I live. I didn't spend it sitting by a computer like I usually do when a storm rolls through. I felt like I needed to help the people I came in contact with, and I'm sure they would've done the same for me.

I found out later that those same friends who were teasing me were stuck in traffic for 3-4 hours before they got home. So I think I made the right decision  ^_^

Also, lmao at that guy making fun of southern drivers for not being able to drive in this. I'd like to see you drive on a hockey rink!

There are a lot of really good points in this thread. Honestly, it was just a perfect scenario for chaos. Everything came together just right and it turned into a disaster.

I woke up yesterday and told my parents I was coming home from school after first period to track the snow. They weren't thrilled at the time, but they let me do it. At the time it was more because I didn't want to be stuck in a class while it was snowing out the window. I hate that feeling lol. Anyways as I was checking out, some of my friends saw me leaving and were teasing me telling me it was dumb to leave and that nothing was going to happen. I just kind of nodded and walked away haha. I had no idea how great of a decision I had just made.

I'd been following the RAP and it was showing more snow for the ATL metro than most of the other models. 12z NAM rolled in and I think it showed around 2-3 inches. I was beginning to think it really could be a pretty serious event. I was texting MariettaWX before it actually started snowing  and he was telling me the interstates were packed and people were driving like maniacs. He even said "snowjam?" I bet he didn't know how true that text would become!

It was pretty remarkable how quickly it started accumulating on the roads. Having that 12 hour period of below freezing temps before snow even started was a huge factor. Light snow started at around 10 AM and my private school waited until 11:25 to send out an email/text telling parents to come get their kids. I imagine most parents and kids didn't leave the school til between 12 and 12:30. There was already about a quarter of an inch by the time they sent that! 

Right around the time they sent students out is when the snow really started coming down. I took a walk to a nearby hill that has a fairly gradual slope and cars were really struggling. Came back home and looked at the radar. It had blossomed since the last time I had checked it and I was realizing how disastrous a few more hours of snow would be. 

Took another walk to a steeper hill and there were multiple cars who were getting stuck. I felt like I should do what I could to help them out rather than sit on a computer at home watching a radar. I spent the next 3 hours with a group of about 6 guys and we pushed car after car up the hill. I think we stopped after pushing 14 up successfully haha. (Side note: If you've never pushed cars up a hill while slipping around, it's exhausting as hell) People were so thankful and even offered to give us money. This one lady was crying because she couldn't get up the hill to pick up her son at Lewis Elementary, which is about 2 miles from this hill. We got her up and she was crying from happiness. It was neat!

Anyways, conditions got worse on my road. Numerous wrecks and abandoned cars. People walking up the side of the street for miles and miles. I posted something on here in the obs thread about it looking like a scene out of a movie and that's honestly the best way I can describe it. It was a day that I'll never forget for as long as I live. I didn't spend it sitting by a computer like I usually do when a storm rolls through. I felt like I needed to help the people I came in contact with, and I'm sure they would've done the same for me.

I found out later that those same friends who were teasing me were stuck in traffic for 3-4 hours before they got home. So I think I made the right decision  ^_^

Also, lmao at that guy making fun of southern drivers for not being able to drive in this. I'd like to see you drive on a hockey rink!

Good post Justin!  It was really just the perfect combination to reek havoc, and it did!

You need to update your signature  ;)

The RAP and RGEM nailed the event for sure, unfortunately so few people use the RGEM, much even know it exists, it largely was a lousy model until 2-3 years ago, since November 2012 I cannot recall a winter weather event in the Eastern U.S. it did a lousy job on and this winter its been virtually flawless not missing one event I can recall.

Correct, no one would have cared, however they will care if we issue 20 false alarms over the next 3 years and then are faced with the *forecast* of the next Snow Jam 2017.  The mission statement is our life, we live by it. Implementing it takes hard work, good science and training and rational judgments based on all available data. I have feedback from a survey of 30 EMs and decision makers on winter weather. Private conversations with them also. Many of them are just as critical on over-warning as under-warning. We lean towards the worst case, sure, but like the April 2011 tornadoes and Joplin tornado, how well do people heed warnings when false alarms are/were increasingly prevalent?

Good discussion. 

Also good points.  That of course, falls back on our skill level at forecasting and a decision on how many false alarms, because there will be some, balance one Jan 28, 2014. I don't know the answer to that.  I do know that the public will b**ch every time you are wrong no matter how many other times you are right.  All public servants face that truth.

Good post Justin!  It was really just the perfect combination to reek havoc, and it did!

You need to update your signature   ;)

Done!

I know someone mentioned it in an earlier post, but I really think that bust of a snow day back on January 6th played into the decision. They called off school the night before which was uncharacteristically early for such a small event. I think FFC was predicting a dusting to a half inch? Nothing happened and I think the school systems took a lot of heat for closing over nothing.

Then this event rolls around and, even though it was predicted to be more significant, I bet it was on the minds of those making decisions. 

We have plenty of hills where I live north of NYC, and a dusting doesn't shut down the town. My area of Westchester County goes from near sea level to almost 500' elevation in about a mile, and yet I have worked countless delivery shifts, driving around town on residential streets, after 1-3" of snow fell. You can get up and down roads with minimal treatment if you are careful and think about what you are doing. I think southerners are complaining excessively about a small snowfall that should have had minimal consequences.

Should roads have been treated and plows deployed? Sure. Do we need to act like this is the Day after Tomorrow for 2" of snow? Absolutely not. Asking everyone to stay off the roads because it snowed 1-2" is just totally silly. Even in a hilly area. 

Seriously? I have family in upstate NY and have never heard them spew nonsense like this. I have been there before a winter storm and the roads were well treated. As others have poined out, ice is ice no matter where it is.

The same thing happened in Raleigh in 05. Some people laugh at the schools closing when there is any chance of snow, but this is exactly why they do it. It's not worth the risk. I think businesses should be more willing to close, too. It's not worth getting caught in this mess unless you are an emergency worker or an essential worker at a hospital.

Yeah, think of how much money and misery they'd have saved if they just shut the city down except for essential services, and skeleton crews.  Or stagger work schedules on snow threat days.  If it doesn't happen, you have all your employees by noon, and the late ones can work late.  The early ones, if they get caught in a storm, will be ones willing to sleep over, at the office, or in hotels, whatever.  It would be so easy to arrange the city to work better, but it takes effort.  They'd rather spend the money cleaning up the mess.  T

Glen MF B, just said at 11 that the next two weeks would be warm.  What models does he look at?  There must be a special torch model these folks use on occasion.  The thing that is amazing to me is how much like good ball players they are.  No matter what they say today, they won't ever reference it again.  If it isn't warm the next two weeks, it won't matter.  It's always the next play, lol.  Now, sure it may be warm the next two weeks, but the models have problems a few days out, so telling the public something like that, might lead to something like yesterday.  Just saying.  T

I love when people act like they can drive on ice.  No, you can't.  There's literally nothing you can do to get up a hill when it's a solid sheet of ice.  Nothing.  My driveway is  not even very steep and when it's iced over (like it was yesterday), the only way to get up it is to build up a solid bit of speed in order to get into the garage  If you stop, there's no way you're going anywhere but sliding back down it and giving it another go.

Yes, you can drive on snow and it really isn't that difficult, but ice is difficult, and when you add a bunch of other cars on the road sliding around, you end up with a disaster.  Atlanta's freeways are a disaster every workday, much less when they let everyone out at once while it's snowing...

Question: Does Atlanta (in general) have a major cultural issue?

It seems that, underlying all of this, is a theme of "we can't call off school or the parents will be pissed because they have to go to work to make their huge paychecks... yada, yada yada"

It sort of seems like the government officials were operating in fear and that it precluded then from making good decisions. .

Ism

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

That was BS what the Governor said. It did not come unexpectedly. They should have done what NC did.

Agree....I posted this on my Facebook at 11:48 pm Monday evening:

https://www.facebook.com/perry.williams.524596/posts/1458506577705959

If the 03z RAP/ RUC verifies, we may have more snow than either I or NWS FFC forecasts for Atlanta south and west to LaGrange and Carrollton. Latest RAP continues to insist a band of heavy precip (likely snow) will move across west central and north Georgia from late morning until evening tomorrow.

The latest RAP progs 0.35 to 0.50" liquid precip in Newnan, Douglasville, and Atlanta airport between 11 am and 4 pm. With the Skew T profiles, this will likely be all snow, and could well be 3-5" inches by dinnertime. If so, driving problems could begin by early afternoon, and only worsen toward evening as the sun angle lowers and heavier precip moves across the area.

If you have to travel tomorrow, strongly urge you to be very cautious and prepare yourself for a very wild afternoon rush hour. Thankfully ground temperatures have warmed some since Saturday, so don't anticipate another "Snowjam 82" instant freeze up.....but DO expect major driving problems to develop by 3-4 pm IF NOT SOONER.

I posted the following on my Twitter about 11 p.m. Monday

Very concerned by what the 02z and 03z RAP (RUC) model is showing; possibly heavy snow in Atlanta by afternoon..with 3-5" inches by evening.

And this around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday morning after learning several neighboring counties had foolishly opted to have school

12z RAP progs 3-5" inches of snow in metro Atlanta between 1-7 p.m. If you are at work (or have kids at school), you need to get home ASAP!

As Steve said, you can warn folks a winter storm s approaching and will strike before the school and work day ends but can't make them make the right decision or use good judgement to stay safe. Common sense should have told everyone from the Governors Mansion and Douglas County school super's office to Atlanta area commuters that due to the cold ground (area ponds frozen over last weekend for the first time I'd seen in a decade), and fact it was already 25-27 degrees at 9 a.m. and falling that even a small amount of snow, sleet, or freezing rain would cause highways to quickly ice and become treacherous. I knew all hell was about to break loose....from friends telling me how crowded the morning commute was; apparently no one staying home. I am angry that so many area children became stranded, including kids of a lifelong friend. Closing all metro area and west Georgia school systems Tuesday was a no-brainer, or should have been.

I don't have any problems with the NWS FFC forecast/ handling of this winter storm. It was one of the most difficult I've ever forecast, and I wasn't sure until mid-evening Monday that areas north of interstate 20 would recieve much of any precip. I've learned in the past several years to watch trends on the hourly updating RAP (RUC) model closely; it proved invaluable during the massive April 27, 2011 tornado outbreak and again Tuesday (total snowfall was slightly less than the Monday evening progs, but the 3" at my home in Newnan and 2.6" at KATL was more than enough to cause the worst traffic nightmare in Atlanta history.

Perry

Pretty insane images coming out of Atlanta. Kind of hard to believe 2" could paralyze the city. Was there sleet/freezing rain making things slick?

It was more than 2" inches in many areas.  I recieved over 3" at my home west of Newnan.  A friend near Atlanta airport said he had 3".  The official measurement at KATL was 2.6".  It wasn't a major storm (criteria for that in Atlanta is 4"), but given the cold ground and temperatures at precip onset in the mid to upper 20's (that quickly fell below 23 in many areas due to evaporational cooling) even a half inch of snow would have caused all hell to break loose.  The roadway surfaces were apparently just warm enough to allow the first snowflakes and sleet to melt then refreeze as heavier snow fell on top of it.  I've seen this happen before in Georgia, and usually with disasterous results (1-4" inches of snow atop a thin layer of ice...that gets compressed into a sheet of ice by traffic....it's a mess.  

Most of the time we get lucky here, and the winter storm either occurs on a weekend or with air temperatures and ground warm enough to delay freezing on roadways or not at all.  I drove all night as 6-8" inches of snow fell on March 24, 1983 and only had to worry about bridges being icy.  The temperature hovered right at 32 degrees and ground surfaces warm, so roads didn't become ice sheets until the next night when it fell to 26 and all that water from the melting wet snow turned to ice (there were more accidents that night than the previous night as snow was falling).

For those who don't know, metro Atlanta is also quite hilly, as is Birmingham (esp. north and east of the city).  Add in many drivers inexperienced in winter driving and it's a recipe for disaster.

My aunt is the assistant to the head of school so she couldn't leave until later in the afternoon. Fortunately her daughter lives on Fowler right through the woods so she crashed there. My MIL teaches at Lewis and stayed until 11pm before the principle sent her home. They had several kids stay he whole night. Hat dip on Jim Owens had to be killer.

Question: Does Atlanta (in general) have a major cultural issue? It seems that, underlying all of this, is a theme of "we can't call off school or the parents will be pissed because they have to go to work to make their huge paychecks... yada, yada yada" It sort of seems like the government officials were operating in fear and that it precluded then from making good decisions. . IsmSent from my SCH-L710

Atlanta is not any different than any other city. If it hit Memphis at the same time of day with the same ice on the roads I would bet it would have the same outcome. It was just underestimation by a small group of people. I heard someone tell Clark Howard on the radio that in order for schools to meet the federal guidelines for a full day hey have to go until 11 am. Those same regulations require them to serve lunch at that point. They must have decided to go with that trying to avoid missing a school day since the kids were already there.

Question: Does Atlanta (in general) have a major cultural issue? It seems that, underlying all of this, is a theme of "we can't call off school or the parents will be pissed because they have to go to work to make their huge paychecks... yada, yada yada" It sort of seems like the government officials were operating in fear and that it precluded then from making good decisions. . IsmSent from my SCH-L710 Atlanta is not any different than any other city. If it hit Memphis at the same time of day with the same ice on the roads I would bet it would have the same outcome. It was just underestimation by a small group of people. I heard someone tell Clark Howard on the radio that in order for schools to meet the federal guidelines for a full day hey have to go until 11 am. Those same regulations require them to serve lunch at that point. They must have decided to go with that trying to avoid missing a school day since the kids were already there.

I beg to differ. We've had several storms hit midday in my time here, including one snowfall in the low 20s.

Here's the deal, though. Our officials have learned not to be hesitant in preemptively cancelling school. That's what the built-in snow days are for and we only ran out of those in 2011.

Second, people are not afraid to preemptively cancel work either. The morning they the ice storm started in December, there were very few people who went to work.

Even New York preemptively cancels things for snow. I don't see why Atlanta had so many people going to work and school during a winter storm warning. The warning was issued well before people had to leave for work and I don't think it was exactly a real tough call. Atlanta has a bad history of these types of traffic issues happening in winter storms well. In addition, we do have technology that allows many of us to work from home.

So, I don't really know why there was school and why everyone seemingly went to work that day.

That many people should not have been at work or school that day. The forecast should have made this an easy decision.

The question is: why did all of this happen?

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people got in their cars and drove to work with the feeling that something like this might happen.

Great post Wx kid! You remind me of myself 30 years ago! Only I grew up in Northern Kentucky. Had much more snow to track, but no access to internet or computer models. My friends often thought I was nuts for my obsession with the weather. Good call on leaving school early. Even better call on helping folks out all afternoon!

I beg to differ. We've had several storms hit midday in my time here, including one snowfall in the low 20s.Here's the deal, though. Our officials have learned not to be hesitant in preemptively cancelling school. That's what the built-in snow days are for and we only ran out of those in 2011. Second, people are not afraid to preemptively cancel work either. The morning they the ice storm started in December, there were very few people who went to work. Even New York preemptively cancels things for snow. I don't see why Atlanta had so many people going to work and school during a winter storm warning. The warning was issued well before people had to leave for work and I don't think it was exactly a real tough call. Atlanta has a bad history of these types of traffic issues happening in winter storms well. In addition, we do have technology that allows many of us to work from home. So, I don't really know why there was school and why everyone seemingly went to work that day. That many people should not have been at work or school that day. The forecast should have made this an easy decision. The question is: why did all of this happen? I'm willing to bet that a lot of people got in their cars and drove to work with the feeling that something like this might happen. Sent from my SCH-L710

Good point. We haven't had a midday storm since 1982 so maybe we need this hard lesson. Almost all of our major winter events of the past twenty years have hit on weekends so that had something to do with it.

I Good point. We haven't had a midday storm since 1982 so maybe we need this hard lesson. Almost all of our major winter events of the past twenty years have hit on weekends so that had something to do with it.

I do want to say this. I don't want to put too much blame on the citizens. I know the mentality well. Weather looks bad. Oh, they're still having school. Well, I have to go to work if they're having school.... and so on.

That said, it appears that there were two really bad decisions made:

1)The decision not to pretreat overnight the night before. We pretreat everything for every little advisory event. If you guys don't have the means to do this, you should invest in it. I guarantee you there was more than enough money lost yesterday to pay for all the equipment needed.

2)The decision to hold school. The overnight AFD highlights the major concern about traffic. The right decision was to close and then own the decision whether the forecast busted or was perfect. This is leadership 101.

Archived