CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.3" here I have no doubt 5" just inland.

Roads are TERRIBLE. Town/MA Highway were not ready. Rte 3 is the worst I've seen in a few years in spots it's dangerous. Major side roads are also snow covered. Rte 3a, parts of Rte 6 along wipeout highway, off ramps are a mess. Cars are spinning all in different directions. Really a poor job on the roads but again I don't think anyone thought this was coming and budgets are tight.

Snow backing in now. Not sold it will make it.

Phil I would say around 5-6" based in the colder areas. General 5" right now. Solid returns have returned to a normal NE to SW rotation and the heaviest snow bands NE of the Cape Cod elbow are now moving slowly into the region. You can see on the radar imagery that there is some sort of low level jet to the southeast of KACK. The returns are moving quickly from east to west, like the coldest cloud tops are on Satellite imagery. Quite interesting if this band can pivot into the area and then begin to slowly turn to an east to west orientation before moving out. The bullish NAM run of yesterday 12z I believe could actually get this one correct if current trends continue.

yeah measured 5" here in several different spots so about the same here. actually some nice blowing/drifting developing with the wind cranking up.

Same here in the CT Valley. All I see is sun and grass. I have a whopping

.1" of snow this year after only 31" all of last year. Enjoy for all those that are getting it. We are getting shut out here. Even the NAM bcaked off on that Norlun trof snow.

Cleared out here in the past hour. Hopefully good eclipse viewing tonight. I'll sacrifice some snow for that!

:thumbsup:

Think it makes it? I think it's got maybe 10-20 more miles in it before it starts to drop south southwest. I don't think it makes it back to me or even gets all that close in terms of the heaviest.

I highly doubt it makes it to you...but it likely gets the outer half of the Cape...but we'll see, this stuff has been making a bit further west than most guidance wants to bring it.

yeah we wasted a fair amount of qpf last night in a lot of areas with things coming down at 32 - 34F...i was driving around at 1AM and it was just getting white on the ground but you could tell it was essentially just liquid snow. LOL.

Yeah, but you have definitely cooled it off now. Most, if not the entire Cape is below freezing now...if that band gets back to you (which it looks like it might)...then you could be pushing 8" or so by 00z.

dec20410pmradar.gif

Yeah, but you have definitely cooled it off now. Most, if not the entire Cape is below freezing now...if that band gets back to you (which it looks like it might)...then you could be pushing 8" or so by 00z.

It doesn't look as though it will get to Boston though.

How do you think we're going to do with this? Noticed some talk about BL temps in this afternoon's AFD.

Not sure. Just got home. The hvy band could be the demarcation between colder comtinental airmass and more maritime air. I wl have to take a look at things.

dec20410pmradar.gif

pretty decent firehose look out there still.

some impressive returns in that band. they should at least make it to the Outer Cape.

got a ways to go yet. i had gone 2-4 today 1-2 tonight...will probably be under.

yeah measured 5" here in several different spots so about the same here. actually some nice blowing/drifting developing with the wind cranking up.

It is quite beautiful, until you realize that the snow is pasting the power lines and if the winds pick up enough then those lines could come down. For some reason my street powerlines come down when there is wet snow and little bit of wind. That is a little worrisome for me, hopefully clearing out some of the trees on my street can help out with that. This morning it did not look good for my area, one to two inches maybe tops expected as that band was stalling to my northeast and it was above freezing, however we are now 31f and with light to moderate snowfall, with that heavy snow band to the northeast working quickly now to the east. A low level jet looks to have developed southeast of Nantucket and this can be seen with the enhanced convective cloud tops cooling to my southeast. Hopefully the band can reach my area and begin to pivot over us, if this happens I think we can see some 10"+ amounts on the outer Cape, especially if temps can continue to cool.

Archived