• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Here's how TIME interpreted my article from yesterday.

usedtobe

I laways wondered whether we were distantly related as my dads uncle was named John.   However,   none of dad's brothers kids had that name and I don't know whether his uncle John had kids or not or if he did where they settled. 

Scarey bad when a reporter without and science credentials does a quick post on the weather.   I now have my own models and made a forecast for the most of the country rather than the DC area.  Pretty funny but sad. 

http://nation.time.com/2014/01/17/the-polar-vortex-is-probably-coming-back/?hpt=hp_t3

Wes, I linked to this discussion in the comments. And noted how poor of a job he did.

There are a lot of people writing about weather now that shouldn't be. I'm not even sure how some become a full-time journalist sometimes.  The system has to be rigged.

His other stuff is actually pretty good. But weather is something a lot in the media don't do well with. I had first-hand experience dealing with that at AccuWeather.

And also, this speaks to a larger issue. A lot of the public already believes weather forecasts are never right. When media miscommunications like this happen, it perpetuates the myth. It muddies the message and in impending severe weather situations like a hurricane, blizzard, or tornado, it's not a stretch to say it's a public safety issue as people will ignore warnings due to believing that forecasts are never correct.

And also, this speaks to a larger issue. A lot of the public already believes weather forecasts are never right. When media miscommunications like this happen, it perpetuates the myth. It muddies the message and in impending severe weather situations like a hurricane, blizzard, or tornado, it's not a stretch to say it's a public safety issue as people will ignore warnings due to believing that forecasts are never correct.

Yes, and the reaction overall from the informed community is to run with whatever sells... so now we are attributing polar vortices to all cold weather etc.  It's a weird mix where it's cool the public is interested in science but I think instead of informing in a lot of cases we're leaving them dumber.  Case in point is the Euro argument over Sandy. Did some good in getting funding rolling, did some bad in making most consumers think the Euro is always right or "why not just use the Euro".  Now we've got people looking into the polar vortex from a plane, seeing Chicago covered in snow from the polar vortex, etc etc etc.  This is polar vortex 2 coming up. But it could be less than one in intensity if not coverage.  The sequels almost always suck.

I dunno about others, but we look at the GFS, CMC, EC, NAM, JMA, and now have the WJM (Wes Junker Models) to use in forecasts! AWESOME! Wes has been keeping his super computers a secret. What does the WJM say today?

=)

The WJM says NO SNOW FOR US! And then it laughs at us mercilessly

Wes, I linked to this discussion in the comments. And noted how poor of a job he did.

I ended up writing the editor and would have posted on the Time article but didn't want to register.....I don't like doing that.   The bad job he does really should have his editors at him but I doubt anything will be done.   It's said as people already think most weather stories and  a good deal for forecasts are hype and I really try not to do that.  Jason added Polar vortex to the title of my article and it was a good choice to get hits but the term has been overused and one of our own CWG guys complained about the use and I partially agree with him. 

Archived